am i screwed?

12 posts in this topic

so this morning, i tried to install the latest security update on my 20" intel imac. it downloaded smoothly, but when it tried to install i got an error message telling me that that it did not install properly, so i quit software update. it closed out fine, but afterwards, my mac froze up and none of the programs i tried to open would respond. so i hit the apple button and went to restart. upon hitting the restart button, all my icons and stuff cleared away but the screen just stayed there afterwards for about 10 minutes. after getting frustrated with how long it was taking to restart, i decided to just hold down the power button and force it to shut down.

and now i have a problem in that i can't get back to osx. when my computer restarts, i get the grey screen with the apple and the little spinning icon but it doesn't go anywhere afterwards and i've let it sit there for 30+ minutes. what do i do? is there any way i can recover and get back to osx and all my stuff? or am i going to have to send my mac into apple to get it fixed?

o oh...you should NEVER install OS X updates from software update, because remember you are not running an apple certified Mac...always get the patched versions

o oh...you should NEVER install OS X updates from software update, because remember you are not running an apple certified Mac...always get the patched versions

But he DOES have a real Mac. And he may use the software update.

Note that the forum title he posted in is "Apple Computers and Hardware". This is where you discuss real Macs not Hackintoshes.

And, for what it is worth, I think he is screwed.

During boot up, press and hold the keys Command and V simultaneously. This puts the computer into Verbose mode. Look for errors.

Another trick is to press and hold Command-Option-P-R. Hold it for 3 separate "bongs". This clears parameter RAM and might clear the problem.

Another trick that should repair your disk if it needs it is to start-up in Safe Boot. Read the Apple document on that: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

The standard technique for this sort of trouble is to boot from the install DVD that came with your Apple Mac, and run disk utility from the DVD to attempt to repair the hard drive. Then try restarting from the hard drive. If THAT doesn't work, an "archive install" from the DVD will usually get you back in business without losing your data or settings.

G

The standard technique for this sort of trouble is to boot from the install DVD that came with your Apple Mac, and run disk utility from the DVD to attempt to repair the hard drive.

I doubt that Disk Utility is going to fix this, but it is certainly worth trying.

Then try restarting from the hard drive. If THAT doesn't work, an "archive install" from the DVD will usually get you back in business without losing your data or settings.

That should work, otherwise you can always boot your iMac in Target Disk mode and get your stuff off it via FireWire.

so this morning, i tried to install the latest security update on my 20" intel imac. it downloaded smoothly, but when it tried to install i got an error message telling me that that it did not install properly, so i quit software update. it closed out fine, but afterwards, my mac froze up and none of the programs i tried to open would respond. so i hit the apple button and went to restart. upon hitting the restart button, all my icons and stuff cleared away but the screen just stayed there afterwards for about 10 minutes. after getting frustrated with how long it was taking to restart, i decided to just hold down the power button and force it to shut down.

and now i have a problem in that i can't get back to osx. when my computer restarts, i get the grey screen with the apple and the little spinning icon but it doesn't go anywhere afterwards and i've let it sit there for 30+ minutes. what do i do? is there any way i can recover and get back to osx and all my stuff? or am i going to have to send my mac into apple to get it fixed?

This happened to me before and it came from an incomplete download. It seriously screwed things up and there was no way to uninstall it without completely reinstalling the OS.

argh, this is starting to become a real full blown issue now

you see, i have windows xp installed on my intel imac with bootcamp. the problem is, i never set Macintosh HD as my startup disk so now my computer keeps booting straight into windows everytime i try out one of your guy's fixes. when i try to use disc utility, it doesn't boot off the cd-rom and instead, goes straight into windows.

aaaaargh, what can i do?

Holding down the C key during boot is supposed to force it to boot into the CD/DVD.

ahh, okay. thanks for that!

i did an archive install and it seemed to fix the issue just fine. running a bit slower than usual for some reaosn, but find regardless. thanks a lot to everyone who offered advice! this website has been a lot of help for me since i bought my first mac a few months back.

again, thanks a lot!