LaCie USB 3.0 drivers are here for OS X

antic

240 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am moving to this discussion since it has a more accurate topic.

Here is my original post. I will then post my follow-up after for continuity.

I have installed them on two systems with built-in NEC based USB3 ports:

1) GA-X58A-UD5

2) GA-H55M-USB3

On both systems i get the new Super-speed entry in System Profiler.

However, on system 1 i can't get any drives (USB2 or USB3) to mount on the USB3 ports.

On system 2, USB2/3 drives will mount but... in System Profiler when the USB2/3 drives are plugged in to the USB3 ports they show up under the high-speed USB entry, not under the Super-speed one.

System Profiler for system 1 does not show any of the devices i plug in to the USB3 ports.

I am suspecting the DSDT is a culprit here but i looked through them and couldn't find an obvious place to start tweaking. I will post the DSDT for both systems soon, and would love to help get this driver working ASAP.

g\

UPDATE

I now have this driver installed on 3 systems though i have not been successful in getting it to work in Superspeed mode.

System1 = GA-X58A-UD5 - This system is behaving a bit odd since i have had better success with system3 even though its the same motherboard and DSDT.

System2 = GA-H55M-USB3

System3 = GA-X58A-UD5

System1 and system2 charachteristics were covered in my previous post.

I will post the relevant files for System 2 and 3 below.

System 3 is behaving in the following way:

USB2 drives plugged in to the USB3 ports mount. They show up in system profiler UNDER THE SUPER-SPEED entry. This seems good!

However when i plug my USB3 dock in to the USB3 ports the drive does NOT mount and nothing shows up under System Profiler. Neither in Super-Speed nor High-Speed, etc.

I have tried both ports on the motherboard and its the same behavior.

Here are the files and notes:

for system2 i am providing screen shots of the system profiler entries, an ioregistry export and the DSDT.

for system3 i am providing a shot of the system profiler entry, an ioregistry export and the DSDT.

In both cases all information was gathered with both a USB2 drive and a USB3 dock plugged in to the motherboard's USB3 ports.

Since i am not getting any activity on the USB3 ports of system1 i am not including these files for that system yet.

I am also including a screenshot of the first screen of the installer which clearly states the driver may work for other NEC 720200 based host controllers. The USB controller on these Gigabyte boards is the "NEC D720200F1" so that seems promising as well. But something isn't working yet so I hope one of the scene geniuses can have a look and I am happy to continue testing any possible tweaks.

Thanks!

g\

USB3Hunt_Sys3.zip

USB3Hunt_Sys2.zip

I recently purchased this USB3 external case:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0338041

And I am thinking about purchasing this USB3 card to try with the new Lacie driver:

https://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0324026

How do you think the performance of this external USB3 combination would be in comparison to the hard drive installed internally in my Mac Pro?

I have installed them on two systems with built-in NEC based USB3 ports:

1) GA-X58A-UD5

2) GA-H55M-USB3

On both systems i get the new Super-speed entry in System Profiler.

However, on system 1 i can't get any drives (USB2 or USB3) to mount on the USB3 ports.

On system 2, USB2/3 drives will mount but... in System Profiler when the USB2/3 drives are plugged in to the USB3 ports they show up under the high-speed USB entry, not under the Super-speed one.

System Profiler for system 1 does not show any of the devices i plug in to the USB3 ports.

I am suspecting the DSDT is a culprit here but i looked through them and couldn't find an obvious place to start tweaking. I will post the DSDT for both systems soon, and would love to help get this driver working ASAP.

g\

I've had another look at my setup and have found the following

Setup 1

USB 3.0 set to EHCI in bios. USB 2.0 drive mounts but doesn't show under USB super speed in system profiler.

Setup 2

USB 3.0 set to XHCI in bios. USB 2.0 drive mounts and does show under USB super speed in system profiler.

usb3.0_setup_1.zip

usb3.0_setup_2.zip

The LaCie drivers are locked. They will install on 3rd party cards and operate those at superspeed; however, they will only recognise and operate LaCie USB3 peripherals. Take a look at your logs to see the error messages.

No obvious way to edit the plists to get around this, either.

Correct...

Well i just opened up the binary for the driver in hexfiend and i can actually see that little error message "Super Speed Device other than Lacie is not supported" written out, so this looks like it will be a hex edit job. This is probably as far as i can take it myself since i have almost no experience hex editing binaries but i am hopeful it will be possible for someone in the know. it seems to call a %x as the vendor ID.

I'll keep poking around.

g\

I removed the check but I can't test if it works. it's up to you guys :)

patched kext:

http://rapidshare.com/files/429069764/PXHCD_patched.zip

Congratulations! I have no USB3 device to test it, but claimed another brazilian tester from the other usb3 thread who has one to your post: he shall give us all feedback soon.

Lets hope you just freed XHCI on Mac Os X!

sure let's try mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?6c3kby1se62lkib

modbin, you are the man!

This works well on my system3.

Tested with USB3 dock and seagate 7200.11 drive i get ~90MBps reads and writes. Plugging the same dock and drive in to USB2 port gives me only 30MBps.

One thing i noticed is that in system profiler entry for the dock still shows "speeds up to 480mbps" but that seems cosmetic since i am getting ~720mbps which may be the limit of that drive.

I will post below the reconstructed kext with your binary so folks can just use kexthelper to install.

Many, many thanks again modbin for this great work.

g\

modbin_patched_PXHCD.kext.zip

I have tested but i have a problem : the file don't work with 64 bits kernel on my MacBook Pro, only with 32 bits kernel.

Odd, its working on 64bit with my hac.

Also, looking through some drives i had on hand and i got ~110MB out of a newer gen WD. So i am sure that the limit now is drive speed and that the USB3 ports are capable of much faster speeds. need to find a SSD to try. 110MB is about what i get with SATA internally on these drives.

g\

I have tested but i have a problem : the file don't work with 64 bits kernel on my MacBook Pro, only with 32 bits kernel.

modbin, is this possible to make the modification on a 64 bits kext ? can you explain the modification ?

Best

Pierre

I patched both i386 and x86_64 parts of the kext. Try to clear your caches.

the kext does this check:

cmp ax, 59Fh

jz goodboy