Looking for a better understanding

nduetime

2 posts in this topic

Pretty new to the forum but have spent some time searching it for the last couple of weeks. I'm new to the OSx86 scene, looking forward to my first build. I haven't built anything from the ground up but I do have some limited experience with hardware upgrades. I was hoping someone might be able to clarify some pretty simple questions:

* Even with a factory copy of Leopard or Snow Leopard, kexts have to be installed in order to get the components of a build functioning properly with OSX?

* Kexts are basically just drivers for the hardware?

* Is it possible that kexts could include viruses?

* An install DVD is just a factory copy of OSX?

I know these are really basic questions, but I just want to make sure I fully understand it before I feel even more stupid than I do about this.

Pretty new to the forum but have spent some time searching it for the last couple of weeks. I'm new to the OSx86 scene, looking forward to my first build. I haven't built anything from the ground up but I do have some limited experience with hardware upgrades. I was hoping someone might be able to clarify some pretty simple questions:

* Even with a factory copy of Leopard or Snow Leopard, kexts have to be installed in order to get the components of a build functioning properly with OSX?

* Kexts are basically just drivers for the hardware?

* Is it possible that kexts could include viruses?

* An install DVD is just a factory copy of OSX?

I know these are really basic questions, but I just want to make sure I fully understand it before I feel even more stupid than I do about this.

Hi,

the right answer could give how programming the kext automatism ... im not the expert.

I think kext are extensions that work like a windows inf file. The installation of hackintosh set a pointer to the kext automatism at booting, so while booting kext will loading an "overwriting" the the system cache with your specially hardware descriptions - like a windows inf file.

If i read the different description on the internet, the most usally way is the installation of "normally factory DVD" with modification while installing the system. The only target is: expecting the "non-apple" hardware. The rest is standard system software.

The other way - related to kext - is dsdt file. My understanding is, the dsdt file works like the windows config/system.ini files in the older windows systems. Its a compressed, compiled hardware description that will loaded on system start up. Sometimes you need additional kext extensions, because programming the dsdt needs a hardly understanding of BIOS, interrupts, Hex-adresses etc.

I saw on the internet descriptions with hacked/cracked Operating systems too. And yes - it could be that kext files containing virus ... maybe.