OSx86 + Conroe = Love (and a Mac Pro preview)

Swad

4 posts in this topic

It’s ok. Admit it. You’ve already got the kids scheduled for the baby-sitter Monday morning. The shades will be drawn, the car will be left running for an emergency run to the Apple Store, and you’ll lay out all your credit cards along your desk… just in case. It’s ok. We understand – ‘WWDC Fever’ is a legitimate condition. Look it up. It’s in the DSM IV.

For those that just can’t wait, here’s a taste of what OS X running on Conroe will look like. t-break isn’t a review site we frequent (it was actually pointed out to us by a member) but they claim to have checked out OSx86 running on Conroe… and they were impressed.

Our curiosity got the better of us and we decided to “setup a Mac” with the equipment available to us. Its really no secret that a “home installable” version of the Intel OS X has been floating on the “scene” for sometime now and we used one such version based on 10.4.6 version of the O/S. Hardware-wise, we used Intel’s 975X motherboard with a Core 2 Xtreme CPU running at 2.93GHz along with 2GB Corsair RAM running at DDR2-800MHz speed. We chose the ATI X1600XT graphics card which is what’s used on the current generation of Mac Book Pro and iMacs. If you google, you will find a way of getting this card working natively on the “home installable” version of OS X.

Guys, it’s ok to say “ATI card working natively with the ‘Boris’ method.” Anyway…

These last two tests were also conducted on that same PC with Windows installed and we see the Mac performing as well as Windows in Cinebench and a mere 3% slower in Photoshop which is especially impressive considering that Photoshop CS2 was running under Rosetta on the Mac.

All in all, we'll say that things are looking pretty good for the Mac with its supposed move to the Conroe architecture. We might see better performance numbers than above if Apple decides to go with Woodcrest Xeons and their higher FSB speed. But even if they don't, the 2.93GHz Core 2 is looking mighty impressive.

Pretty impressive indeed. We didn’t write anything about this when we first found it since, frankly, we’re a little skeptical about some of the results. Especially the non-native Photoshop numbers. Nevertheless, it’s probably a good indicator of some of the things we might hear at WWDC.

Well I've been running/testing OSX on my Acer Aspire 5672 with a Merom (notebook version of Conroe) and I can tell you that it is incredibly snappy!

Conroe and Merom based Macs should bring a whole new level of performance per $ to OSX lovers!

Cheers!

Well I've been running/testing OSX on my Acer Aspire 5672 with a Merom (notebook version of Conroe) and I can tell you that it is incredibly snappy!

Conroe and Merom based Macs should bring a whole new level of performance per $ to OSX lovers!

Cheers!

Lucky {censored}!

How do you have a Merom one month before anyone else?

Tell me, had you both cores working with OSX or just one?