Booting from RAID-0 ?

13 posts in this topic

hello forums !

I tried to boot from a software RAID-0 with several releases of Chameleon (RC1, RC2, RC3, RC4). I exactly followed all guides and the installation rules from the Chameleon README, but with none of theese guides I suceeded.

what am i doing wrong ??? any help would be great !

future_former

Are you trying to boot from a RAID 0 that you created with Disk Utility?

If so I believe the answer is "you can't." The OS needs to be loaded from a non-RAID drive as I understand the boot kernel does not have the raid drivers compiled into it. Once the OS is running then it can access Disk Utility created RAID drives.

Hello,

Don't believe it's not possible. I'm running 10.6.4 osx server with two soft raid disk partitionned (stripping == raid 0) as two disk. One is for the system and the other for datas, the full size being greater than 1 TB. Reading/writing benchmarks indicate nearly two times faster that for non Raid disks.

However, installation was tricky because 10.6 changed, with respect to 10.5, 10.4, the way the information was stored on the small boot partition required by the soft raid. Contrary to chameleon assertion, their automated installation does not work, at least I never succeed in that way. You must follow any guide BUT you should add the following in each small partition

i) Copy of your /Extra folder

ii) Copy of the /mach_kernel

iii) The boot file from Netkas

iv) A copy of /Library folder with hierarchical path to your boot.plist

Finally, my small partition looks like:

capz.png

and the /Library holds:

cap1u.png

raoul: This is GREAT news to hear! I didn't think it was possible to boot a hackintosh from an Apple Disk Utility based RAID. Thank you for the screenshots also. I'm going to work on this on my next hackintosh build. I don't see the need in putting in a 10K boot drive if I can get the striped disk raid to work.

Thanks!

haha, very funny. :D:)

didn't I say that I tried EVERY damn RAID-0 guide out there ???

it's still not working. chameleon boots from the helper partitions, but OS X can't load the possible files to boot.

perhaps someone KNOWS how to set up the helper partitions (and all nessecary files) correctly and could tell us how to manage this with 10.6 ?

future_former

haha, very funny. :unsure::(

it's still not working. chameleon boots from the helper partitions, but OS X can't load the possible files to boot.

perhaps someone KNOWS how to set up the helper partitions (and all nessecary files) correctly and could tell us how to manage this with 10.6 ?

future_former

Perhaps you haven't used >rd=uuid boot-uuid=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX< in boot plist

or sudo touch /Volumes/your install HDD/S/L/E

I don't know! - However I do know that I have followed Nathan7's guide many times and it works perfectly!

D

haha, very funny. :):rolleyes:

future_former

As I wrote, 10.6 changes it needs on small partitions of the boot disks. The "Nathan" guide is for pre snow release, but it's still correct. Just do it the way I say. I'm ready to help you, good luck