Is this configuration appropriate for installing Mac OS X?

jeanpave

5 posts in this topic

Hello.

I already tried the 10.6.2 version by Hazard, and it wouldn't go past the boot screen. (It rebooted after writing a couple of lines about mach.kernel on the screen.)

So, I'm wondering if it is possible to turn the following PC configuration into a hackintosh.

AMD Phenom II Processor

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard

ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card

8 GB RAM

(I don't know what else to put here - I have Windows 7, but if OS X would dual-boot better with XP, for example, I'll install that.)

Also, I've been searching on the Internet for days, and nobody says if the motherboard is compatible, or not, and with which version.

Does anybody here know what version to look for - iPC, Kalyway, 10.6.2, 10.6.3, 10.5.7, etc.? - and whether I should install Leopard first and then upgrade? Or just go for Snow Leopard from the beginning?... How should I do it, please?

I have no idea what would work for my configuration, and apparently all these releases that can be found out there are only compatible with certain PC configurations.

Thanks a million!

A couple of suggestions that may help, make sure you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS (I have had some success without it but if you are struggling it's worth a try). I would also suggest booting with the following flags:

-v -x -F cpus=1 fsb=200000000

You may want to throw in maxmem=8096 (or half that to 4096 I have seen issues with over 4gb)

good luck.

Hello.

I already tried the 10.6.2 version by Hazard, and it wouldn't go past the boot screen. (It rebooted after writing a couple of lines about mach.kernel on the screen.)

So, I'm wondering if it is possible to turn the following PC configuration into a hackintosh.

AMD Phenom II Processor

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard

ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card

8 GB RAM

(I don't know what else to put here - I have Windows 7, but if OS X would dual-boot better with XP, for example, I'll install that.)

Also, I've been searching on the Internet for days, and nobody says if the motherboard is compatible, or not, and with which version.

Does anybody here know what version to look for - iPC, Kalyway, 10.6.2, 10.6.3, 10.5.7, etc.? - and whether I should install Leopard first and then upgrade? Or just go for Snow Leopard from the beginning?... How should I do it, please?

I have no idea what would work for my configuration, and apparently all these releases that can be found out there are only compatible with certain PC configurations.

Thanks a million!

Triple check your BIOS settings. Those are usually responsible for instantaneous reboots.

I had an old Dell that would only work with the iPC distro, if that helps.

A couple of suggestions that may help, make sure you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS (I have had some success without it but if you are struggling it's worth a try). I would also suggest booting with the following flags:

-v -x -F cpus=1 fsb=200000000

You may want to throw in maxmem=8096 (or half that to 4096 I have seen issues with over 4gb)

good luck.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, but unfortunately they didn't work for me.

I had enabled AHCI, except in one place, where I had to leave Native IDE, or else nothing would start. I think it was OnChip, or something like that. But there were two places where I selected AHCI instead of IDE, yes.

I'm trying to get other versions of Mac OS, but they take a long time...

And then, can I be sure that iPC's 10.5.6 will be updated to 10.6.x, after it's installed, for example? Because, you see, I kind of need Snow Leopard, not Leopard.

Triple check your BIOS settings. Those are usually responsible for instantaneous reboots.

I had an old Dell that would only work with the iPC distro, if that helps.

The guy who provided this Hazard 10.6.2 image actually had a whole thread which outlined how to set up everything. The BIOS Settings were right - well, the parts that I could find in my computer's BIOS - and still I get an almost instantaneous reboot.

It tries to start - I get about 4-5 lines typed by the installation process on screen, but then there's always the reboot.

Is there an iPC 10.6, maybe?

Thanks.