10.6.3 & Empire EFI - almost there!

whifty

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, just wanted to say hi :D and also to see if one of you geniuses can help me with my installation?

I feel I am so close to getting a fully working installation, just think I am failing at the last step somehow?

My spec:

Intel DG965RY motherboard

Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

Sapphire / ATI x1050 gfx card

4 GB ram

I am using the Empire EFI bootloader v 1.085 and a genuine retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD.

I have followed this procedure:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197470

except the steps involving voodoo and nvenabler kexts as they don't appear to be relevant to my system.

Empire EFI boots fine and runs with no kernel panics. I follow the steps and proceed to the Snow Leopard installation which starts OK - but takes a lot longer than the stated 30 minutes. I have looked at the progress log during installation and it does not appear to hang, just proceeds slowly.

Eventually, the installation completes and OSX starts. I then go on to run the myHack installer (step 21 in the procedure), which appears to complete fine - but I cannot tell what it is doing as there is no detailed log that I can locate.

The problem occurs when I reboot without the DVD after running myHack (step 22). OSX starts fine, but runs VERY slowly - opening finder windows takes 10 seconds or so... However, if i boot with the Empire DVD in the drive and choose my installation partition at the Vader logo, then it boots and runs at normal speed!

Now it seems that either myHack is not patching the bootloader correctly, or there are additional steps I need to do (with my graphics card?)

I have searched the forums and the web for info / kexts for my graphics card but I can't find anything that works - its not a very common graphics card for OSX86 it seems.

Sorry for the long post - i feel i am so close to getting this working but i'm a bit of a novice with OSX86 (as you can probably tell!) A bit of guidance to understand the final steps would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, just wanted to say hi :D and also to see if one of you geniuses can help me with my installation?

I feel I am so close to getting a fully working installation, just think I am failing at the last step somehow?

My spec:

Intel DG965RY motherboard

Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

Sapphire / ATI x1050 gfx card

4 GB ram

I am using the Empire EFI bootloader v 1.085 and a genuine retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD.

I have followed this procedure:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197470

except the steps involving voodoo and nvenabler kexts as they don't appear to be relevant to my system.

Empire EFI boots fine and runs with no kernel panics. I follow the steps and proceed to the Snow Leopard installation which starts OK - but takes a lot longer than the stated 30 minutes. I have looked at the progress log during installation and it does not appear to hang, just proceeds slowly.

Eventually, the installation completes and OSX starts. I then go on to run the myHack installer (step 21 in the procedure), which appears to complete fine - but I cannot tell what it is doing as there is no detailed log that I can locate.

The problem occurs when I reboot without the DVD after running myHack (step 22). OSX starts fine, but runs VERY slowly - opening finder windows takes 10 seconds or so... However, if i boot with the Empire DVD in the drive and choose my installation partition at the Vader logo, then it boots and runs at normal speed!

Now it seems that either myHack is not patching the bootloader correctly, or there are additional steps I need to do (with my graphics card?)

I have searched the forums and the web for info / kexts for my graphics card but I can't find anything that works - its not a very common graphics card for OSX86 it seems.

Sorry for the long post - i feel i am so close to getting this working but i'm a bit of a novice with OSX86 (as you can probably tell!) A bit of guidance to understand the final steps would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The problem is the graphics card (this card results not supported in Snow), but try this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214208 if works for you.

If don't works you must change the graphic card with a compatible one.

The problem is the graphics card (this card ewsults not supported in Snow), but try this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214208 if works for you.

If don't works you must change the graphic card with a compatible one.

Thanks for the reply giorgio, I will try the steps in that post and let you know if it works.

:unsure: