ErmaC

Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

4,336 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Thx guys to report this.

I fix it...

I upload the fixed rev soon..

But one question... is pure COSMETICS.. what about the output?

Something like that in bdmesg? (I wrote it by hand not a real bdmesg output)

System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

CsrActiveConfig: 0xff (11111111)
    Apple Internal: disabled
    Kext Signing: disabled
    Filesystem Protections: disabled
    Debugging Restrictions: disabled
    DTrace Restrictions: disabled
    NVRAM Protections: disabled

I'm tempt to say... this is an unsupported configuration, but I'm running on an Hackintosh and this is a TEST.
:P

ErmaC

Fabio for me is ok, but you can make the csr config a variable in the header (boot.h)? I Think i can recuperate it in FileNVRAM to be published under /option ....just to try when I have time..

Fabio for me is ok, but you can make the csr config a variable in the header (boot.h)? I Think i can recuperate it in FileNVRAM to be published under /option ....just to try when I have time..

You mean the key in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

... you can read it... is already defined in boot.h

#define KCsrActiveConfig        "CsrActiveConfig"
yep you have to compile the edited FileNVRAM to read it...

but the value is not stored anywhere... you have to re-read it

if ( getIntForKey(KCsrActiveConfig, &crsValue, &bootInfo->chameleonConfig) && (crsValue >= 0 && crsValue <= 255) )...
do the job
..else...
(default config)

ErmaC

yep is more easy to have "crsValue" as macro otherwise I need to scan all partitions... actual limitation... (weeh! as appear to me  ^_^ )

Thx guys to report this.

I fix it...

I upload the fixed rev soon..

But one question... is pure COSMETICS.. what about the output?

Something like that in bdmesg? (I wrote it by hand not a real bdmesg output)

System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

CsrActiveConfig: 0xff (11111111)
    Apple Internal: disabled
    Kext Signing: disabled
    Filesystem Protections: disabled
    Debugging Restrictions: disabled
    DTrace Restrictions: disabled
    NVRAM Protections: disabled

I'm tempt to say... this is an unsupported configuration, but I'm running on an Hackintosh and this is a TEST.
:P

ErmaC

2754_v2 works fine here too. :yes:

Test with CsrActiveConfig=0,101,103 as pics.

You see, /S/L/E/VoodooHDA.kext didn't work with CsrActiveConfig=0.

post-61100-0-76204400-1440120549_thumb.gif

post-61100-0-84943700-1440120555_thumb.gif

post-61100-0-84054200-1440120562_thumb.gif

But I still have question, Do we need BooterConfig=0x28 as Clover?

I upload a new revision 2754_v2

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/download/71-enoch/

ErmaC

Thanks for this new version which works for me in DP7.

But its booting screen seems abnormal in Intel HD 4600 or AMD 6870 display:

1. GUI=Yes was disabled (no difference from GUI=No)

2. GUI=No  only the first booting device was visible. The others need downward arrow to make it visible and enter for select.

I think it's pure cosmetic not related to its main functions.

[solved]

This bug occurs only for some display cards only such as AMD 6870 or Intel HD 4600.

I found if it's installed in Nvidia 780 or AMD 5770 there is no such an error or bug.

Edited by jsl

Pike, great!

btw why not make this kext compatiblle for all bootloaders? 

#define FILE_NVRAM_PATH "/Extra/NVRAM/nvram.plist"

to

#define FILE_NVRAM_PATH "/nvram.kext.plist" or "/usr/standalone/nvram.plist" (writable path)

Edited by Micky1979

For those of you playing along at home, I'm going to do a slight information dump about FileVNRAM:

FileNVRAM was developed in conjunction with the same chameleon module. Yes, you *can* use it without bootloader support, however, if you do so there is a race condition that occurs. This can result in early program / kernel code using un-set or incorrect nvram variables. Once the boot completes, the variables will be updated in the kext, however, at this point the incorrect variables may have been read out already.

So... the kext itself (as-is) can be used with any bootloader (I often use it on my mac), however, there are cases where things can break with it if the bootloader also doesn't support it.

The kext itself doesn't need any modifications to be supported by Clover, you just need to pass in the proper information in the device tree. Once that's done, the initial nvram values will be populated, in addition to the path to store the nvram file.

Finally, please note that if you do *not* have bootloader support, the OS will take longer to startup. There are a couple of kexts that block the boot process by waiting for the NVRAM kext to register with the PlatformExpert. If bootloader support is not available, FileNVRAM will wait to register until after vfs / root have finished mounting. This means that the blocking kexts are now waiting longer (usually FileNVRAM on chameleon finishes initializing well before root is mounted) and as a result, the boot process will take longer.

Pike:

I noticed you changed the file io read/write functions. Yes, it's good to verify that the ctx is non-null (which should be added in my repo), however, you've modified the routines to now be FileNVRAM specific, they were originally designed to be fairly generic and not specific to the kext.

Additionally, I've noticed that you changed the target from 10.4 to 10.11. The original kext was setup so that it works on any x86 and x86_64 os that apple has released. This was done by design.

Other than that... it's kinda hard to see if you changed anything else in the diff (well, except replacing all spaces with tabs)

For anyone wanting to do development with FileNVRAM:

As for any extensions to FileNVRAM (such as in relation to CSR): Please note that the FileNVRAM module provides a public API for chameleon that allows it to set, delete and modify nvram variables. These should be used if you want to change the behavior, instead of modifying the module directly. If you have a diff that you would like me to add to the official repo, you can do so using the following link: https://public.xzenue.com/differential/diff/create/Once you do so, I'll add any comments about things that I'd like changed before merging it in.

Related to the CSR, FileNVRAM (the root context) needs to be able to write to a file on disk, as such, there really isn't a good way to properly secure this kext on 10.11 to block root / normal users from writing to this file, while still allowing FileNVRAM access. I haven't tried 10.11 yes, so there might be a way to grant special privileges to the kext itself, but again, I haven't looked into it.

Hi meklort, FileNVRAM.kext compiled targeting old OSes was not working.Not tested Pike's fork yet using original deployment target, but I will, reporting back soon.

Pike, great!

btw why not make this kext compatiblle for all bootloaders?

I used /Extra/NVRAM since that to me is the most logical place to have files.

@meklort,

With boot loader support you mean the injection of properties by the boot loader. Correct? I hope that chosen/nvram is deleted afterwards.

I did not change a lot. The noted mCtx checks, regular file checks, and I didn't liked the fact that calls to read_buffer() and write_buffer() could potentially be misused.

I have since changed the deployment target to 10.7. This was the lowest possible one that allowed me to compile the kext.

p.s. I did not test the kext to verify it (I no longer have a hack).

The FileNVRAM module (.dilyb) only work here if I delete the interal kernelpatcher functions, then also a little modification to the function that scan bios for the uuid. I'm not at home, later I'll provide more about..

With module nvram.plist place, takes more sense, I was meant for booloader support.

With boot loader support you mean the injection of properties by the boot loader. Correct? I hope that chosen/nvram is deleted afterwards.

I did not change a lot. The noted mCtx checks, regular file checks, and I didn't liked the fact that calls to read_buffer() and write_buffer() could potentially be misused.

Correct, I do mean injecting the properties via the bootloader.

As for deleting the properties after use, see below:

if (bootnvram)

{

copyEntryProperties(NULL, bootnvram);

bootnvram->detachFromParent(root, gIODTPlane);

}

Please note that this deletes /choosen/nvram, but causes /options/nvram to be populated, just like the standard Apple NVRAM kext. Again, I haven't looked at the 10.11 kext, but this behaves the same way as prior OS releases.

Ya, the ctx check is definitely good.

As for the mCtx usage inside of it, my way and your way can both be misused.

In the previous case, the root ctx was not used by default, and a kext had to provide the ctx on it's own. Granted, you could just grab the cached value from the kext...

With your changes, another kext simply has to call the function and they'll automatically get the root context.

Perhaps a safer option would be to make the symbol private /  force inline of the function so that it can't be called by anyone else. (easily). Then again, the source is available, and it uses public APIs form Apple, so it's not like someone couldn't just re-use the code.

Anyway, you're correct, you cannot target 10.4 with the latest xcode. I have a separate build machine specifically setup with Xcode 3.6 for building FileNVRAM for release.

Hi meklort,

As you said, I've noticed importants slowdowns while using your kext without the module on Enoch during boot time, something like 8 seconds without it and 20 seconds with it.

I've even tried using it with the module but it makes the system crash on boot, exactly, stuck on a black screen at login and eventually with the spinning "beach ball"...

Btw, it seems that having nvram.kext correctly working could be a backdoor to fool the CSR status and do other stuff, am I right?

Not everyone here is a coder, sometimes an easier explanation could be a wiser decision. IMHO

:)

Pike the kext can't be loaded running kextxache:

kxld[com.xZenue.kext.FileNVRAM]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
kxld[com.xZenue.kext.FileNVRAM]:  AppleNVRAM::setPath(OSString*)
kxld[com.xZenue.kext.FileNVRAM]:  _mCtx
Link failed (error code 5).
and also running kextutil:
sudo kextutil /System/Library/Extensions/FileNVRAM.kext 
/System/Library/Extensions/FileNVRAM.kext is invalid; can't resolve dependencies.
/System/Library/Extensions/FileNVRAM.kext is invalid; can't resolve dependencies.
Diagnostics for /System/Library/Extensions/FileNVRAM.kext:
Validation Failures: 
    Info dictionary missing required property/value: 
        CFBundleIdentifier

Warnings: 
    Personality has no CFBundleIdentifier; the kext's identifier will be inserted when sending to the IOCatalogue: 
        FileNVRAM
the second issue because "com.xZenue.kext.FileNVRAM" is not set as bundle identifier in Info.plist, but I have trouble to fix _mCtx issue in write/read_buffer function (no longer exist). Any advice?

Well, instead of including kext as mkext (kernelpatcher hang?), just leave separate files.

Pike, attached FileNVRAM.dylib module that match your FileNVRAM.kext fork(nvram.plist path), however see my last post.

Source included with compiler errors fixed.  Can be compiled at same time along with Chameleon/Enoch, just put into /i368/modules and replace the already compiled version.

FileNVRAM source+precompiled module.zip

Edited by Micky1979

kxld[com.xZenue.kext.FileNVRAM]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
kxld[com.xZenue.kext.FileNVRAM]:  AppleNVRAM::setPath(OSString*)
kxld[com.xZenue.kext.FileNVRAM]:  _mCtx
Link failed (error code 5).

mCtx is referenced by FileIO.c

This is compiled as a C file and cannot access C++ names without having them managed first.

Additionally, mCtx is a member variable of the FileNVRAM class. You cannot access it without the class pointer.

If read/write_buffer needs to access it, these functions need to instead be moved into the class as member functions so that they can access the variable.

So... the short answer is... revert the changes to that file, and it'll work. Alternatively, move the functions into FileNVRAM.cpp (and set the names properly, and declare them properly in FileNVRAM.h)

Hi meklort,

As you said, I've noticed important slowdowns while using your kext without the module on Enoch during boot time, something like 8 seconds without it and 20 seconds with it.

I've even tried using it with the module but it makes the system crash on boot, exactly, stuck on a black screen at login and eventually with the spinning "beach ball"...

Btw, it seems that having nvram.kext correctly working could be a backdoor to fool the CSR status and do other stuff, am I right?

Not everyone here is a coder, sometimes an easier explanation could be a wiser decision. IMHO

:)

The simple explanations is... OS X blocks until NVRAM is available. The module makes it happen early for FileNVRAM. If you don't use the kext, apple's default one takes over and lets the boot happen quickly.

The other explanations were more for people with a programming background.

Yes, FileNVRAM could be use to assist the CSR changes for 10.11, but there are security implications that have to be taken into account properly.

As mentioned before... I've never tried the kext or module with 10.11 (or 10.10), so I didn't know there was a problem. Additionally... I received a grand total of 0 bug reports. I also don't think anyone has sent me an email or a pm about it either. If nobody tells me there's an issue, I'll assume there isn't one. 

So... please file bug reports if you find them.

Yes, FileNVRAM could be use to assist the CSR changes for 10.11, but there are security implications that have to be taken into account properly.

Thanks for additional explanation. You think I can do something like:

if(is_module_loaded("FileNVRAM.dylib", 0)){

AddNvramVariable(.....);

}

else {

// use o.c.B.p or default value

}

to add what we need?

good night to all :)

@Meklort

Can you be more precise?

Thanks

Pike the kext can't be loaded running kextxache...

Sorry. I was in a hurry and did run kextutil to verify it. I did commit some (untested) changes. I have no idea why Xcode 7 (Beta) changed the CFBundleIndentifier, because it sure wasn't me. Anyway. It compiled and the error is gone.

Edit: Confirmed working (thanks Bry)!

@meklort,

Yes. It is better to move read_buffer() and write_buffer() to FileNVRAM.cpp as that takes care of the security issues. Now you can only overwrite /Extra/NVRAM/nvram.plist but so can any other process.

Yes. It is better to move read_buffer() and write_buffer() to FileNVRAM.cpp as that takes care of the security issues. Now you can only overwrite /Extra/NVRAM/nvram.plist but so can any other process.

Please explain this security issue to me.

You've hard coded the kext to now use /Extra/NVRAM/nvram.plist.

If someone previously wanted to modify a file, they could do so as root. Sure, they could tell FileNVRAM to point to a different file path, but they'd have to be root to do so (only root can write nvram variables).

So... you're previous options were... be root... or be root. How is that any different from the new option of.... be root?

My understanding is that root is now locked out from modifying certain system files, and so would this kext as it uses the root context.

Perhaps a *good* fix would be something like the following:

(1) Does the file pointed to exists?

(2) If File does not exists, continue, file path is OK

(3) If file does exist, verify that it's contents are an XML dictionary in the FileNVRMA format.

(4) If contents OK, file path is ok

(5) If contents are bad, yell at the user and don't use the path.

Thanks for additional explanation. You think I can do something like:

if(is_module_loaded("FileNVRAM.dylib", 0)){

AddNvramVariable(.....);

}

else {

// use o.c.B.p or default value

}

to add what we need?

good night to all :)

Something like that yes, although I don't remember the proper usage of is_module_loaded (it might just be "FileNVRAM").

Also, if you are calling nay symbols in FileNVRAM directly, you must either

(1) Be running as a module

or

(2) Look up the symbols at runtime using the module system apis. 

@Meklort

Can you be more precise?

Thanks

FileNVRAM is not a signed kext. So, to load it, you have to disable the CSR, or bypass it somehow. Additionally, the nvram file the FileNVRAM uses should use the additional security enhancements that Apple's added to lock out even root from touching it (and still have some way to touch it by itself).

Please explain this security issue to me.

You've hard coded the kext to now use /Extra/NVRAM/nvram.plist.

If someone previously wanted to modify a file, they could do so as root. Sure, they could tell FileNVRAM to point to a different file path, but they'd have to be root to do so (only root can write nvram variables).

So... you're previous options were... be root... or be root. How is that any different from the new option of.... be root?

My understanding is that root is now locked out from modifying certain system files, and so would this kext as it uses the root context.

Perhaps a *good* fix would be something like the following:

(1) Does the file pointed to exists?

(2) If File does not exists, continue, file path is OK

(3) If file does exist, verify that it's contents are an XML dictionary in the FileNVRMA format.

(4) If contents OK, file path is ok

(5) If contents are bad, yell at the user and don't use the path.

Yes. I indeed hardcoded the path. And for good reason. Apps can call functions in kexts without being root. Just look at the Intel Power Gadget. Then look at what kexts Apple blocked, being low level kext because they won't allow everything. I did ask of writing to disk, from a kext, is a good idea and they said nope. Don't do it. Move code to a sandboxed app and let the app handle the writes to disk.

I already check the file type (regular file required) and my local tree already checks for a proper XML dictionary.

Yes. I indeed hardcoded the path. And for good reason. Apps can call functions in kexts without being root. Just look at the Intel Power Gadget. Then look at what kexts Apple blocked, being low level kext because they won't allow everything. I did ask of writing to disk, from a kext, is a good idea and they said nope. Don't do it. Move code to a sandboxed app and let the app handle the writes to disk.

I already check the file type (regular file required) and my local tree already checks for a proper XML dictionary.

Pike,

Apps *cannot* call arbitrary functions in a kext. There are a specific subset of functions that they can call. FileNVRAM validate that the user is root before allowing the write to continue. Read the code, this is *already* taken into account.

Yes, It's well know that File IO is strongly discouraged. It's easy to mess up.

Pike,

Apps *cannot* call arbitrary functions in a kext. There are a specific subset of functions that they can call. FileNVRAM validate that the user is root before allowing the write to continue. Read the code, this is *already* taken into account.

Yes, It's well know that File IO is strongly discouraged. It's easy to mess up.

I wouldn't say otherwise. I wrote the app and BOOM. Nothing is stopping me.