InsanelyMac is live!

Swad

17 posts in this topic

Welcome to the all new InsanelyMac, the evolution of everything you loved about The OSx86 Project. A few months ago, after careful thought, we decided that for our site to better adapt to the future, OSx86Project.org should become solely dedicated to running OSx86. In order to accomplish this, we’ve moved our (much improved) news and forum to their new home here, InsanelyMac.com.

What’s new and what can you expect in the coming months?

OSx86 Project

We’re committed to remaining the most valuable OSx86 resource on them thar interwebs. To do so, we’re spending the month of August revamping our wiki, rolling out new features, along with a great new look. To let us know what you think should be improved, check out this forum thread.

InsanelyMac

After establishing a dedicated News Team to scour the Mac Web, setting up blogging capabilities for everyone on the forum, and rolling out a shiny new theme… we’ve been busy, to say the least. Nevertheless, we’ve got some great ideas for the upcoming months, including an integrated RSS reader and photo gallery. We hope you like the forum’s new home – frankly, we’re crazy about it.

Likemind

The current portal to InsanelyMac (or iMac for short) is a temporary one. To make a long story short, we tried a bunch of the portal systems out there and found out that they were all lacking. So, we decided to make our own. It’s called Likemind and it’s an open source project we’re starting here at iMac. The goal is to create an extensible news-driven content management system that’ll be free for any community to use and adapt. If you’re a PHP guru and would like to help our site help others, check out our development forum in the X Labs for more information.

Enjoy the new site!

Go to the old site. www.osx86project.org. Things are looking great. Good job.

Yeah, I know that, but that wasn't the question. The question is where in the NEW INSANELY MAC site the Wiki is? Besides that, I agree it looks "insane". :););)

The site looks cool but is it just me is the font a little too big.

I know i can shrink it in my browser but then it's too small for other sites. Previous version was just right. lol

One problem i noticed is that if i decreen the size of text then the bold words like "InsanelyMac Forum / The Top Six. / Front Page News and Rumors / InsanelyMac is live!" become very thin (unbold).

Working backwards...

dtm3dd - Thanks! We thought long and hard about what to use for a logo. After a few months of the current tagline (which helps people know where we are from) then we'll move to the actual one: you're in command. :D I like it a lot, if I do say so myself.

kday and AcePlayer - Ok, we'll play around with the font since we've gotten more than one comment about the size. I kinda like the larger size, to be honest, but I can see how some don't. kday, I'm moving your post to site bugs. Thanks for the idea.

locuras - The wiki is still where it's always been at osx86project.org. If you'll check out this thread, you'll see that we decided to separate the wiki from the forum and news so that all three sections could be better. We'll be working hard on the wiki over the next month or so to make it even better. We'd love your input.

Takuro - This is the only skin we've got at the moment, due to budget and time constraints - and to be honest I think it's one of the best out there for a site like ours. I am sensitive, however, to the fact that some people may not care for it as much. I think it'll grow on you if you give it the chance (in almost every way it's an improvement on the old skin, especially coding-wise). However, if anyone is interested in writing their own skin, we'd be happy to use it here (provided that it meets our fairly high quality standards). If someone is interested in porting the old skin to the new site, PM me.

Forgive me for saying so but all this hype is insanely {censored}. I think someone should find a decent multimedia person who frequents this site and uses a mac perhaps to help make something truly stellar out of the dataset that is this site. as it stands it takes way to long to pull info out of this forum (i.e. If i have an x1800 and want it to work properly). if its a matter of money holding this revolutionary redesign back we could hold a fund raiser.

...all this hype is insanely {censored}... I think someone should find a decent multimedia person who frequents this site and uses a mac perhaps to help make something truly stellar out of the dataset that is this site. as it stands it takes way to long to pull info out of this forum (i.e. If i have an x1800 and want it to work properly). if its a matter of money holding this revolutionary redesign back we could hold a fund raiser.

So, whatever you don't like is {censored}? Oh well, insanely straight guy, how about you making a design and puttin' YOUR money for it. Less talking and more doing, don't ya think, buddy?

buglamp-

To be honest I think you'll find this is one of the most professional looking forum skins around. Also, I'm not sure what you're asking for as far as "pulling info out of the forum" but we're always open for suggestions. As for the hype... I think you'll find we try to stay away from sensationalism here. We changed things and thought peeps ought to know.

Since all of our staff here has a day job, we're just doing this for the fun of it and almost everything you see has been the result of volunteer work. If you'd like to see something done, feel free to contact me - I'd be happy to let you help. :angel:

So, whatever you don't like is {censored}? Oh well, insanely straight guy, how about you making a design and puttin' YOUR money for it. Less talking and more doing, don't ya think, buddy?

Now as for creating somthing: I'd be totaly hyped for creating some flashed out Information System with quick access to tutorials and technical information.

I think there is a certain level of frustration that comes with trying to configure ones new OSX installation which sorta goes against the mac 'It Just Works' ideal. If there were say PDF'd tutorials that one could download and say preview that could be distributed alongside any files required for said configurations I beleave that would be a major step forward. This I beleave would be a more hobbiest frendly approch and would serve to clean up alot of the clutter in the forums. As per site redesign I am totaly willing to extend my services to this endevor (for free of course).

• 3 months later...