Is AMD Snow Leopard impossible?

7 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to build a new system from scratch, and want to take advantage of the price / performance opportunity of the Phenom II x6 AMD processor. Everything in the Hackintosh forums leans towards Intel for simplicity. I've previously built a q9600 quad-core intel Hackintosh that I've used for the past few years.

I'm about to start up at a new job and they're letting me build my own system from scratch. Was thinking of going in the direction of a:

Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 (details)

Is AMD just going to be a complete nightmare?

Any advice will be appreciated.

emotional friend

I have the opportunity to build a new system from scratch, and want to take advantage of the price / performance opportunity of the Phenom II x6 AMD processor. Everything in the Hackintosh forums leans towards Intel for simplicity. I've previously built a q9600 quad-core intel Hackintosh that I've used for the past few years.

I'm about to start up at a new job and they're letting me build my own system from scratch. Was thinking of going in the direction of a:

Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz

ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 (details)

Is AMD just going to be a complete nightmare?

Any advice will be appreciated.

emotional friend

No.........see here and here............but if you want to use the vanilla kernel and have the most support in OSx86 fora go with an Intel chipset + Intel CPU MOBO.......... :)

No.........see here and here............but if you want to use the vanilla kernel and have the most support in OSx86 fora go with an Intel chipset + Intel CPU MOBO.......... :)

If I run into difficulties getting the onboard audio and lan working, are there USB audio and PCI lan drop-ins that will work?

Oh, and I was thinking of going with an nVidia card to take advantage of GPU computing. Is that a mistake with an AMD CPU / mobo combo under OSX86?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Emotional Friend

If I run into difficulties getting the onboard audio and lan working, are there USB audio and PCI lan drop-ins that will work?

Oh, and I was thinking of going with an nVidia card to take advantage of GPU computing. Is that a mistake with an AMD CPU / mobo combo under OSX86?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Emotional Friend

Easiest route for video, network and audio compatibility/support is Intel chipset + Intel CPU MOBO with nVidia graphics card that is OS X supported..........see here......... :)

Easiest route for video, network and audio compatibility/support is Intel chipset + Intel CPU MOBO with nVidia graphics card that is OS X supported..........see here......... :(

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick with intel everything for this build.

Emotional Friend

Tried just about everything on this forum, 4 different DVDs including retail and I can't get OSX working at all on my AMD Phenom X2 system. I'd completely avoid AMD but even my mate with a Core2Duo system is tearing his hair out trying to get Snow Leopard to work.There are no guarantees.

Tried just about everything on this forum, 4 different DVDs including retail and I can't get OSX working at all on my AMD Phenom X2 system. I'd completely avoid AMD but even my mate with a Core2Duo system is tearing his hair out trying to get Snow Leopard to work.There are no guarantees.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=201330

i use this method on my AMD system and everything works well,i use SL 10.6.3 retail.

goodluck on your quest