Enabling SSE3

packagefixer

10 posts in this topic

Strangely enough I've checked with Dell and the CPU is a Prescott 630 which supports SSE3.

I've run some utilities like cpuz and they report the same information however selecting SSE3 during installation (JaS 10.4.6, Goat 10.4.6) results in a Kernel Panic during the boot process.

Anyone been able to get this working?

Is there a patch I'm missing?

I had the exact same experience as you. Same processor as well.

I was told, however, that if the processor supports SSE3, then SSE3 code will run natively with the sse2 'patched' kernel and that there was no need to replace it. Can anyone confirm?

The idea of using the SSE3 instruction set rather than SSE2 means that the native apple instructions written for SSE3 don't need to be actively transcoded to SSE2 instructions and therefore should in theory give a slightly faster experience. Of course an SSE3 processor can use either its just it would probably go faster with the SSE3 instructions. Although the speed difference is probably negligible.

your error didnt happen to be a VERY fast screen flash something about CPU and double panic? I installed the JaS 10.4.6 and i get those errors (of what i can manage to see with my eyes since it flashes away fast) and down the bottom of the screen just says the darwin kernel bla bla then just keeps flashing that, then eventually the computer reboots, due to all these stupid errors with osx trying to get installed.. i am totally unable to boot into winxp, linux nor mac os x.. so i have to run live cd linux just to use my computer.

your error didnt happen to be a VERY fast screen flash something about CPU and double panic? I installed the JaS 10.4.6 and i get those errors (of what i can manage to see with my eyes since it flashes away fast) and down the bottom of the screen just says the darwin kernel bla bla then just keeps flashing that, then eventually the computer reboots, due to all these stupid errors with osx trying to get installed.. i am totally unable to boot into winxp, linux nor mac os x.. so i have to run live cd linux just to use my computer.

Yes, that's exactly what it does.. to fix it, just boot up to your os x install cd, choose terminal, and use the terminal to copy the mach_kernel off of the install DVD to the root of your os x hard drive, replacing the 'sse3' kernel there.

Yes, that's exactly what it does.. to fix it, just boot up to your os x install cd, choose terminal, and use the terminal to copy the mach_kernel off of the install DVD to the root of your os x hard drive, replacing the 'sse3' kernel there.

ok so what dir is mach_kernel located? and where does it need to be copied??

EDIT: also, just a quick question, since i am tri booting winxp, linux & mac osx using GRUB, does mac osx partition NEED to be set active?? with mac osx non active, when i try to boot to it, it says loading darwin then jumps to loading win xp.

Pretty sure I have my os x partition set as active, but I use acronis loader to choose OSes at bootup, so IDK :D

As for from where/to where.. mach_kernel islocated on both the root of the install dvd and should be copied to the root of your startup drive.

just do a "cd /Volumes/"

and then "ls" and then cd to your DVD, ls, and cp the mach_kernel to the root of your mac startup drive.