Translation button

7 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been posted before but if you have one I havent found it yet.

Does this forum have some kind of translation feature ?

As many new users such as myself are limited at first to the new users lounge many non english speaking new members also have to post there and use their native language. I dont mind trying to work out what language and using an off site translator but was wondering if this forum had one and is it even possible for a forum to use this facility. I worry that new users may miss out on help simply because others cannot understand the posts written. If not can new non english speaking users post in their native language forum as their first post ?.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks wangerman :(. We do have specific language forums for regular users, but they have the same rules as the main OSx86 forums as you said. The smaller ones such as the Japanese and the Portuguese don't have this in place so new users of these languages can post there. I'll bring this up. We should a) make it known that the smaller forums allow new topics from post #1 and :P have a place for new users of larger international sections to post.

There is a forum restructure planned for next week. Hopefully we'll get something sorted out for this at the same time. We will be looking to refine it to make it easy to know where to post and where to find possible answers, but this takes time. Any suggestions appreciated :).

Poco

If not can new non english speaking users post in their native language forum as their first post ?.

I am rather tolerant when new users write in languages other than English in the New Users Lounge.

I am not when people who can post everywhere write in "foreign languages" in the English forums.

If we allowed new users to post in their native threads, consequently limiting the New users Lounge to English, wouldn't that put spam/small threads/whatever in the other languages. Perhaps a 7day ban for those who misuse this privelege would be in order.

I don't quite understand what you're getting at. All we're suggesting is that new users can post in their respective language forums to firstly group them together, and secondly help them be seen by those who understand and can help them. The quality of posts won't change, it will simply change where they are posted. We have local moderators for most of the international forums so I don't see this being a problem :).

Poco