Help with permissions and kext editing

OPTiK

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I'm having some problems getting my nvidia card to work properly. I download and installed the macvidia driver and some kexts still need to be edited. Now there's the problem I can edit the nessesary kext because I can't seem to save the files after I edited them. I tried to set the permissions via the "get info" part but that doesn't seem to work. I tried to copy the kext file to the desktop, edit, and copy back.. still dosn't work. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks

I had the same problem, edited that "Nano" kext file, I believe, but I couldn't save it!

Press [V] + [O] to save. A box on the bottom of terminal should pop up and say something like "Write to [something]", I think you just press your [Enter] key to confirm it.

:)

I think I'm close though. Well I got the permissions thing settled but now I get these errors on reboot:

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/NVidiaHAL.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/NVidia.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

I guess I should just get an ATi card?? lol

Well I followed all the instructions on the macvidia site for B2b2 and now the system just hangs at the grey apple logo screen. Anyone know how I can get my mac back?

As soon as you boot and see a black screen, start tapping the F8 key. When you get a Darwin prompt, enter -v to turn on verbose mode. This might give a clue as to what the error is that is hanging the system.

Thanks Rammjet, I did that and it appears that it hanging at

2006-07-29 12:46:23.590 loginwindow[65] *** WARNING: method _cgsevent in class NSEvent is obsolete and will be removed in release 10.4 ***

any idea what that means? It happend when I removed the IONDRVsupport.kext from extensions folder

When you applied the update, did remove Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext from the System/Library directory so the kextcache could rebuild?

Also, try booting with the -s flag and if that doesn't work, try the -x flag (where you entered -v).

Well I tried to start with the -s flag and it just got me to the command prompt.

Then I tried with -x -v and the system hangs at this point:

Jul 28 20:11:35 my-computer mDNSResponder adding browse domain local

But I also noticed a few lines up from that it said:

Kextload: extention /system/library/extentions/NVdriver.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

Kextload: extention /system/library/extentions/NVidiaHAL.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

I think we're getting close... I hope

So, try to boot with the -s flag, then mount the disks, remove the kext caches and repair permissions:

At the prompt, type:

/sbin/mount -uw /

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

Okay I have that a shot and everything when well until sudo diskutil repairpermissions /. Hangs at that point. I'm ready to give in and get an ATi card soon lol

Yes that's correct! I'm thinking the same thing lol. I'll reinstall it with SSE3 this time. I also think it's about time to change graphics cards. ATi, any recommendations?

Well I can say now that I fixed it by reinstalling OSX and using the Macvidia Beta 2 build 2 install version. But there is no hardware acceleration as of yet which sucks but of well at least for now I have a decent screen resolution. I still would like to get an ATi card that'll work with the least about of fuss. But that's for another day and another thread.

Thanks for all your help you guys!!! Chears!

Well I tried to start with the -s flag and it just got me to the command prompt.

Kextload: extention /system/library/extentions/NVdriver.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

Start with -s and at the prompt type:
mount -uw /
cd /System/Library
rm Extensions.*
chown -R root:wheel Extensions
chmod -R go-w Extensions
reboot

Repair permissions only works on Apple files or other kext's installed with a "receipt". Note chmod go-w, NOT chmod 755 as that sets "execute" unnecessarily (but it still works).