How stable are the hackintoshes

ssmotivex

4 posts in this topic

Just wanted to see if anyone can share their experiences on hackintoshes stability...Lets say you build top of the line i7 setup hackintosh now and get it to work with 10.6.4, will it be a pita upgrading to future releases and especialyl 10.7? What were the common experiences with 10.5>10.6 upgrades....Im trying to decide whether spending 2K on parts alone for a hackintosh thats goign to be problematic is worth it.

Just wanted to see if anyone can share their experiences on hackintoshes stability...Lets say you build top of the line i7 setup hackintosh now and get it to work with 10.6.4, will it be a pita upgrading to future releases and especialyl 10.7? What were the common experiences with 10.5>10.6 upgrades....Im trying to decide whether spending 2K on parts alone for a hackintosh thats goign to be problematic is worth it.

Building a hackintosh is always going to be an adventure so it's something you've gotta keep in mind. A lot of the guys were saying that sometimes when you upgrade you may lose certain functionality i.e. sleep, sound etc, but this community is pretty good to come up with solutions and work-arounds in order to get you back up and running. The smartest thing to do when an update comes out is to just wait for the community to find solutions before you find yourself up a creek without a paddle. A hackintosh, in my opinion, is well-worth the money. Unless of course you want to needlessly shell out extra cash to get a legit mac pro - but I'm on a student budget so this is the best solution for me.

Building a hackintosh is always going to be an adventure so it's something you've gotta keep in mind. A lot of the guys were saying that sometimes when you upgrade you may lose certain functionality i.e. sleep, sound etc, but this community is pretty good to come up with solutions and work-arounds in order to get you back up and running. The smartest thing to do when an update comes out is to just wait for the community to find solutions before you find yourself up a creek without a paddle. A hackintosh, in my opinion, is well-worth the money. Unless of course you want to needlessly shell out extra cash to get a legit mac pro - but I'm on a student budget so this is the best solution for me.

Well the board IM going to use ASUS P6X58D is somewhat popular, not as much as Gigabyte, hopefully there will be others who support it after the initial first year :P

Also Im waiting on the dual 5770 support since i need to drive 4 monitors.

If you get compatible hardware, hackintoshes are very stable. Keep a time machine backup just in case. 2k will gget you a very good hackintosh setup, just make sure other people have good experience with the board and video card before you buy. 2k will get you a mac btw.