[smallGUIDE] Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on AMD (I used 965 quad core)

travis_v10

1 post in this topic

ohai there!

so after a lot of work (and I mean a lottttt), I was able to get Snow Leopard 10.6.4 running on my AMD PC.

my specs:

Motherboard: GA-MA78GM-S2H with the latest BIOS, F12a

Processor: AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition (a quad core processor)

Graphics: nVidia e-Geforce 8600 GT -- I hope I got the model right. It's the one with 512mb of ddr3 ram

RAM: 6gb various brands -- NOTE: Since the only kernel available for AMD on 10.6.4 is a legacy kernel, it will only boot into 32 bit mode with means only 4gb of ram will be usable!

I don't want to make a tutorial so I'll just outline what I did. The rest should be easily searchable. Also note that this isn't exactly what I did.. I did TONS AND TONS and this is what I should have done in the first place haha.

:unsure: 1. Downloaded a retail SL -- might buy later when I have more cash.

:) 2. Burned to a DL disk through PowerISO (imgburn fails a lot for me)

:o 3. Download and burn Hack OS X (can be found on kexts.com)

:rolleyes: 4. Booted up with Hack OS X and switched out the CD with retail SL then booted from that with flags:

-v busratio=20 cpus=4

I don't overclock so I think busratio=17 is correct because I have 3.4ghz but 20 has always worked so whatever.

:rolleyes: 5. Once the install loaded I went to Disk Utility and partitioned to a GUID everything.

:rolleyes: 6. Selected my HD to install one and installed.

--After install you will (most likely?) get an error about startup disk {censored}. just ignore itt :)

:rolleyes: 7. After the computer restarts, boot from the Hack OS X cd and boot from your harddrive this time with flags:

-v busratio=20 cpus=4

If that doesn't work, you can try booting in safe mode with -x.

:rolleyes: 8. Once you get Snow Leopard up download the Combo Update 10.6.4 and install it BUT DO NOT RESTART. minimize the installer after it's complete

:rolleyes: 9. Download MyHack (I think I had version 1.1 from kexts.com) and just continue the installer. I used all the default selections and it worked fine.

:rolleyes: 10. MyHack adds a com.Apple.boot.plist file to your /Extra directory. Go there and copy it then paste it somewhere else (I used my Documents folder)

:rolleyes: 11. Open the one you copied and where you see

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>[here is where you will type]</string>

replace it with

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v busratio=20 cpus=4 maxmem=4096 arch=i386</string>

a quick explanation:

-v = verbose mode. lets you see what's going on. you wont see the Apple symbol

busratio = something you do for newer CPUS

cpus = idk if this is necessary... but just change it to how many cores you have

maxmem = how much RAM is allowed. MUST KEEP CAPPED AT 4096 (4gb) TO WORK.

arch = idek what this does but whatever haha

:rolleyes: 12. save the file and copy it. then, go to your /Extra directory and paste it there. Also paste it in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Now I'm pretty sure you don't have to transfer it both times but I did it both just to be safe.

:rolleyes: 13. Download the legacy 10.4.0 kext. It's in the New Releases forum here at insanely mac and also at kexts.com

:rolleyes: 14. Install the kext

:rolleyes: 15. reboot. My PC wouldnt actually shut itself down so I had to manually reset.

:rolleyes: 16. On startup, you will probably have to boot with the safe mode argument, -x

This part is kinda tricky cuz I would keep getting fsck kernel not loading {censored} but after booting with -v -x it worked...

:rolleyes: 17. It should boot into safe mode.

:rolleyes: 18. Reboot without any boot arguments and it should load.

and you're done :) you now have the latest version of Snow Leopard on AMD! :o

(optional 19): I had some problems dragging stuff over... I ran Kext Utility and restarted a few times and it worked haha. Not really sure what happened.

Right now I still don't have audio working. I haven't really searched around just yet, but I have the ALC889a audio thing so if anyone already knows how to get it working on 10.6.4 and can save me some time, please post!

If you have questions, post them don't pm me.

Thanks to everyone at insanely mac! I couldn't have gotten to this point if it wasn't for everyone here.

-Travis

:rolleyes: EDIT: I got audio working with a VoodooHDA kext. from here

--make sure you remove AppleHDA LegacyHDA and HDAEnabler or else you'll get a kernel panic... I think XD

Anyway it's been a day and things are working great! I love it.

if this helped you, please join my forum: http://livefor.it/

or donate to my paypal- v10.travis at gmail.com. Any amount is extremelyyy appreciated!

thank you so much (: