eBios Error after accidentally deleteing MBR

protonus

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

OK So last night I was trying to install Debian on my spare Hard Disk where I had an old Snow Leopard install on the disk. I have bought a separate Hard Disk for Snow Leopard and installed Snow on that drive and left this drive unused as it was a test for Snow Leopard. I have always wanted to try Debian and thought I could install Debian on this disk.

The test drive was the 1st disk in the SATA configuration making it the disk with the MBR on it.

I didn't know that and while formatting the Hard Disk I wiped the EFI partition and created Linux paritions on the whole disk. The install failed and I tried to reboot into Snow and I got an ebios error.

I have managed to boot into Windows by using BOOT123 method, but now can't get into Snow.

How can I go about reinstalling Chameleon without a hackintosh or mac?

I have moved the test drive from being he 1st HD in the SATA configuration and have my Windows Hard Disk as the 1st one in the Hard drive configuration. Should I move the Snow Hard Disk to the first in the series instead, or doesn't it matter?

I do like the Chameleon as my main bootloader, but don't mind EasyBDC either. I did try to fix the Windows MBR but EasyBDC couldn't fix it and neither could I fix it using "bootrec" from the Windows 7 install disk. So what are you suggestions?

Ideally I would like to have 4 OS's (I have 4 hard drives). Windows 7, OSX Snow Leopard, Ubuntu and last one Debian. I am trying all OS's and testing to see how they are for daily use before I pick one on for permanent basis for a while. Current I have been using Snow Leopard for about 2 months without any hicups up until now.

Thanks

D

• 4 weeks later...

It shouldn't matter what drives are in what order; I would install the latest Chameleon to a thumb drive, and boot from that. It should see your OS X install and allow you to boot from it. If so you may then install Chameleon from inside OS X to your drive, and then choose to boot from that.

Sometimes other OS's such as Linux want to install your boot loader to your first hard drive; if that is the case, it might not be a bad idea to just disable the other drives in your bios (or unplug them) while you install that OS. Usually you have an option of where to put it, but usually people miss this. Windows on the other hand I'm not sure about, as I don't use it often enough to know. It may do the same thing, or it might just install its boot loader to the drive it is installed on.

Anyways, try booting from a thumb drive with Chameleon on it and let us know if that finds your OS X partition.