Snow Leopard Installation Problem

Jadar

43 posts in this topic

Is there a way I can move then before I delete them?

Try

mount -uw /
mkdir /Backup_Extensions/
cp -r -p /System/Library/Extensions/ /Backup_Extensions/
cd /Backup_Extensions/
ls

then if they have been backed up

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -rf ATI*.kext
ls
exit

So I just did that, and it stoped the kernel panic, but no GUI came. I you'd like, I can upload my modifyed ATI kexts. Here is the last message from Verbose mode.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)  timed out

Any ideas?

So I just did that, and it stoped the kernel panic, but no GUI came. I you'd like, I can upload my modifyed ATI kexts. Here is the last message from Verbose mode.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)  timed out

Any ideas?

Now that you have removed the ATI*.kexts, what happenswhen you boot with -v -x?

Two methods for getting an ATI graphics card working in Snow Leopard are:

1. Hexadecimal graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.." </string>

where the graphics string is generated by EFIStudio v1.1 or OSx86Tools.....BUT there are far fewer built-in options than for nVidia graphics cards.......

2. EVOenabler.kext (32/64bit) injector kext

NOTE: The methods above are mutually exclusive......use only one.

The situation with ATI graphics cards is invariably more complicated than for nVidia graphics cards, e.g. the ATI Radeon HD48xx series.......Google the regularly updated information from netkas.org.......it may be necessary to insert the graphics card(s) Device ID directly into the appropriate vanilla kexts, as well as using an enabler.....

Hey guys,I'm new to the forums and all,and i think this is the right place to put my problem.I'm getting a error after installing OX X 10.6 while trying to boot from the virtual harddrive:

"efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying Stringdata" I get that every time i do a installation. Also please note im using it in a Virtual Machine for the time being to see how i like it and if to install it onto my i7. If you guys could help me i would greatly appreciate it.

@verdant: sorry, never mind, I deleted everything ATI in /S/L/E, then I booted back into Leopard, switched back to choice 1 of your earlier post, rebooted into snow with -v -f and "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" and it WORKED :( ! But every now and then I get a kernel panic from IOUSBHIDDriver, no idea what that is. here is the link to my graphics topic: ATi Radeon HD 4550 Kext, Need kexts for Radeon HD 4550 Graphic Card

@dxm765: what is your virtualization program and in what system is the program in?

@Computer Geek; Hello,thank you for the reply,the rig is in my signature and i am trying it in VMware 7.1.0,i set it up as a FreeBSD OS just like i did for my OSx86 10.5.7 and it went smoothly with no issue's aside from no network connection,which i could not get working,but i did not care about internet on it.I allocated a 20gig harddrive set up as a IDE drive,1024megs of ram (1 gig) and a single processor. I have tried with every bootloader and every option i can select,but did not get any further then the error message "efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying Stringdata"

@verdant: sorry, never mind, I deleted everything ATI in /S/L/E, then I booted back into Leopard, switched back to choice 1 of your earlier post, rebooted into snow with -v -f and "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" and it WORKED :( ! But every now and then I get a kernel panic from IOUSBHIDDriver, no idea what that is. here is the link to my graphics topic: ATi Radeon HD 4550 Kext, Need kexts for Radeon HD 4550 Graphic Card

@dxm765: what is your virtualization program and in what system is the program in?

No problem..........glad you got the video sorted........... ;)

BTW is there a strong reason why you need/want to boot from the hidden 200MB EFI partition? Using /Extra is much more convenient, particularly when you are still sorting out SL as it does not require mounting/unmounting.........

Re the IOUSBHIDDriver KP, what USB devices are you using, e.g. USB/Bluetooth, USB keyboard and/or mouse by Logitech by any chance?

@Computer Geek; Hello,thank you for the reply,the rig is in my signature and i am trying it in VMware 7.1.0,i set it up as a FreeBSD OS just like i did for my OSx86 10.5.7 and it went smoothly with no issue's aside from no network connection,which i could not get working,but i did not care about internet on it.I allocated a 20gig harddrive set up as a IDE drive,1024megs of ram (1 gig) and a single processor. I have tried with every bootloader and every option i can select,but did not get any further then the error message "efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying Stringdata"

Try configuring the hard drive as a SATA maybe? I found this link, maybe this helps: http://www.hackint0sh.org/f214/97746.htm . Have you tried Chameleon 2.0 RC4?

@verdant: well I made a script to mount and unmount the EFI partition. and I havent tried out the drivers yet and i couldnt figure out how to put a device ID into ATY_MotMot.kext. I couldnt even find a place to put a device id.

I have tried Chameleon 2.0 RC4 but no succes sadly,their is no option for SATA in the virtual machine BIOS,wish their was tho

EDIT:I made a virtual SCSI drive that i am trying to install it on next with the Chameleon 2.0 RC4 bootloader again

@verdant: yes, logitech usb and mouse.

@dxm765: where do you install chameleon?

@ Computer Geek

That may explain your problem..........see here.........

So then what do I do. And Graphics didnt work. :( I cant figure out why.

See here........... ;)