Kernel Panic after 10.6 install

13 posts in this topic

have you been trying to add and change kexts and DSDT.aml?

Nope, I don't even know enough about all this to attempt all that. The only options I selected when installing were 10.6.1 update, 10.6.2 update, Chameleon RC3 PCEFI 10.5, Legacy Kernel 10.2.0.

would it be using a different kernel when i boot in safe mode? If you think the kernel might not be compatible, what do you recommend me trying instead?

I did have a successful 10.5 install using chameleon v2, but I need at least 10.6 which is why i'm now stuck where I am.

i see, i think you should try using an original apple "vanilla" kernel and see if you get any further with that (it will also make future upgrades a lot easier!)

Can you tell me how I go about installing the vanilla kernel? Will I need to use a separate boot disk if I use a vanilla kernel like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

the vanilla kernel is part of the DVD you buy from apple/amazon etc. using something like the OSX LiveCD you can extract an image of the disk via disk utility, restore it to a USB, add kexts to the USB and then boot off it and use it as your installer

I do have a retail copy of snow leopard. Since I can boot in safe mode, I could use disk utility there and restore the disk image to a USB. How do I then modify the kexts on the USB to include a modified set? And is there any easy way to determine what's kexts I need?

for determining the kexts, its really just research and trial and error to find out what works and what doesn't.

as for making the USB, you many need a working OSX environment to act as a medium between making and restoring the disc (though you may be able to do it by just using the terminal or maybe even direct?

then, the easiest way to add extra kexts to the installer is by installing the myhack package to the USB (again, you may need a working OSX to do this, or you might be able to do it though the terminal), this will make a folder called extra on the USB and add some kexts, you simply add the other kexts you want to use here as well, then either rebuild the mkext in the folder or boot the USB with the -f flag

did you mean i should make the usb an install disk? Or actually install it to the usb drive? how about dsdt patching? I haven't done anything with that yet, but from what I've read it sounds important.

Also, is it safe to assume that kexts that were successfully working with my 10.5.8 install would also be successful with 10.6.2? If so, all I need to do is find the kexts that I used when I had a working iATKOS v7 install on the install disk and use them on my new install.