My MBP is going for repair! I need it!

Hexland

3 posts in this topic

My trusty Macbook Pro is heading off for repair, but it has a bunch of files and a complete development environment on it that I need for work.

Is there a way to image the HDD before I send it, and continue to use the image within a VM on either my desktop iMac or my PC (I have both). I have access to VMWare Fusion, Parallels and VirtualBox.

Can I convert a physical HDD to a VMDK or equivalent, and continue to use my OSX development environment on a VM while the machine is in for repair? I can't really afford to be without it for the week or two that its going to take.

Any ideas?

Thx

Could you copy the HD contents to an external disk using Disk Utility?? You would be able to boot the OS off the external from the iMac (If it's Intel).

Yeah - thats what I'm trying to do right now... I've Carbon Copy Cloned the internal drive to a USB drive, and I'm booting the iMac from USB to get into my dev environment. It's hardly ideal though, because I need to keep rebooting to switch between the two machine/environments