Hal.dll Error when Dual Booting SL & XP

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to dual boot snow leopard and XP on my netbook. I formatted my drive with 2 partition: 1) SL 2) Windows XP. I set the partition scheme to GUID.

1) Installed SL onto the SL partition and was properly able to boot into SL.

2) Then installed Windows XP using usb isntaller

After installing XP, the installer restarts in order to go to the gui setup screen, but I get the following error message when trying to boot into Windows:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Please re-install a copy of the above file."

*I also followed this guide: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184 but it didn't resolve the issue.

*I also used this command in the recovery console, expand d:\winsetup\xphsp3\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll, but it said "Unable to create file hal.dll. 0 files<s> expanded."

Using the recovery console, I copied the Boot.ini file to the USB so that way I can examine the content of the Boot.ini file.

[boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It seems that the Boot.ini file is correctly pointing to the right parition of where XP is installed since partition 1 is EFI, 2) Snow Leopard 3) Windows XP

I am not really sure what is causing this problem.

Windows can use system partition on GUID only on EFI based systems, like Mac. You should try on MBR.

Format windows xp partition as FAT32, this maybe will solve the problem (it works for me) ;)

• 9 years later...