Building a Mac-dows?

4 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm in a little situation here so I'll provide a little background info first.

I need a Mac to run some of my music programmes however I'm an avid fan of Windows mainly cause it's much easier to play my favorite games i.e. Battlefield Bad Company 2 etc.

I have been considering building my own computer however I don't have the money to get two seperate Mac & Windows computers.

So obviously the answer is to have a com with two OS right? BUT HOW DO I DO IT!?

I am a total noob when it comes to Mac and all the dual boot-thingy-stuff that can be done and hence I don't really know what to do. Plus I don't really have the time to research all the possible ways. (I'm serving my National Service ... T.T)

Now, I have a G5 body but the motherboard is spoiled. So that can get me started somewhere. Also is it possible to install Nvidia Cards onto a Mac? Let's say the GTX 275, will it work?

Could someone tell me more about the dual boot thingy? How do I go about doing it and do it safely?

I heard that you need two hard drives? HELP PLEASEEE. Any reference to other existing threads would also help.

Ok, I'm in a little situation here so I'll provide a little background info first.

I need a Mac to run some of my music programmes however I'm an avid fan of Windows mainly cause it's much easier to play my favorite games i.e. Battlefield Bad Company 2 etc.

I have been considering building my own computer however I don't have the money to get two seperate Mac & Windows computers.

So obviously the answer is to have a com with two OS right? BUT HOW DO I DO IT!?

I am a total noob when it comes to Mac and all the dual boot-thingy-stuff that can be done and hence I don't really know what to do. Plus I don't really have the time to research all the possible ways. (I'm serving my National Service ... T.T)

Now, I have a G5 body but the motherboard is spoiled. So that can get me started somewhere. Also is it possible to install Nvidia Cards onto a Mac? Let's say the GTX 275, will it work?

Could someone tell me more about the dual boot thingy? How do I go about doing it and do it safely?

I heard that you need two hard drives? HELP PLEASEEE. Any reference to other existing threads would also help.

Okay, so first thing to point out is that this site is for PCs which can be adapted with time and patience to run the Mac operating system OSX. It is not a "Mac" site.

PCs are not built to run Mac Software and there is often a compromise. On the other hand, Intel Macs can run PC software without any problem at all. So you need to decide what you want and what your skill level and patience will be.

If you decide to go down the rabbit hole into OSX86 wonderland then pick your PC components carefully and do your research. A G5 will not run OSX so if you want to use the case you need to gut it and start again with PC componenets. It'll end up costing you more to adapt the Mac case for a PC project than it will to buy a new PC case.......

You do not need two hard drives, you can partition a single drive for both Windows and OSX. Lots of guides available - see our "genius bar" section and the "multi booting" section.

The answer is read lots before you buy anything and be certain that this kind of thing is really what you want to spend your spare time doing.

Some simple builds which are high performance and lower complexity you can see here. Gigabyte boards are well supported and a good start point for a new build.

If you decide to go down the rabbit hole into OSX86 wonderland then pick your PC components carefully and do your research. A G5 will not run OSX so if you want to use the case you need to gut it and start again with PC componenets.

Thanks for replying! Appreciate you helping me out here.

If I read you correctly, what you're saying is that I'm better off building a whole PC than rebuilding the G5 and run OSX? Why would you say so?

What I was thinking, was to put in PC parts into the G5 case since the motherboard was fried, I'll replace it with something else and maybe like put in an i5 or i7.

Then all I need to do is get a new graphic card and that's about it no? Finally since I want to use two OS, I'll put in another Hard drive for the other OS.

The USB ports, firewire, RAM, Power, Fans, Hard drives etc should be reusable no? I have an external sound card which practically makes an internal one redundant.

Wouldn't that be cheaper than buying all of that all over again?

Oh why I asked about the two separate hard drives is that I feel much comfortable knowing that they are actually separated physically so I won't lose both if so happen something goes wrong.

Plus I would be using the Mac for work and win7 for play so I rather put a distinction between both of them.

That said, is that possible?

Oh can Razer Keyboards be used on OSX? I know some Razer Mouse can.

You're better off buying a new case because the Power Mac G5 is not designed to take a standard ATX motherboard. You can do it, you'd just have to be handy with a Dremel. ;)

Hard drives would be reusable, PSU (might be, I doubt it ). RAM, no, fans, maybe, and I don't think the Firewire or USB ports would be reusable either.

It just isn't worth it unless you want your hackintosh to have a G5 case. Besides, modern motherboards have plenty of USB ports (mine has eight built-in, and the tower I have adds two more to that), and while it only has one Firewire port, PCIe Firewire hubs aren't too expensive.