Still Waiting for Root Device.

Marc Connor

6 posts in this topic

then can someone enlighten us? maybe with a sticky? I'm having the same problem and can't find a satisfactory answer amongst all the other threads which carry mention of the issue but no solution...

Waiting root device means that the system is being confused about where the boot drive is. If you have extra external drives plugged in, unplug them. If you have a flash drive plugged in, unplug it. Make the drive system as simple as possible - only the target hard drive and the source DVD drive. Disconnect all others. SATA can also be a problem. And as gwprod12 said, make the hard drive primary master and the DVD drive primary slave.

I always get this when I install on my laptop. to get around it, i threw a dvd burner in a usb external enclosure i have, let the system boot until the "waiting for root device" message to show, then eject the dvd, but it in the external drive, and viola! I am unaware why this happens to me, I am assuming it is either my internal drive, or my chipset, but i am willing to bet it is my chipset.