mightycrown

ASUS 1001HA Simple Guide (Everything is working)

174 posts in this topic

Kyteflyer

Try this one for size. I can't swear that it works perfectly (I haven't had much time to actually use the netbook to test it) but it compiles with no errors and only 4 obscure(ish) warnings and SL is working well for me so far. I don't know if Asus have been tweaking the BIOS for better Linux support but when I extracted this from the BIOS (using DSDTSE) I was surprised to see that the code DSDTSE suggests as a patch for laptops with built-in GMA950 graphics was already present.

Here's hoping it makes for a better OSX experience too.

Good luck

Baldrick45

dsdt.aml.zip

Advertisement
Kyteflyer

Try this one for size. I can't swear that it works perfectly (I haven't had much time to actually use the netbook to test it) but it compiles with no errors and only 4 obscure(ish) warnings and SL is working well for me so far. I don't know if Asus have been tweaking the BIOS for better Linux support but when I extracted this from the BIOS (using DSDTSE) I was surprised to see that the code DSDTSE suggests as a patch for laptops with built-in GMA950 graphics was already present.

Here's hoping it makes for a better OSX experience too.

Good luck

Baldrick45

Oh great, thanks heaps, Baldrick. It works beautifully from what I can see, and also, I have updated security and Safari (downloaded from apple support downloads rather than via software update) and its all good :D

Thanks again... and this could be a most excellent replacement for MightycrownG's dsdt.aml. I thank you, and my sanity thanks you :)

and then, I installed an old version of little snitch and its all b0rked now. sighhh. A job for the weekend I think. My brain is always disordered on Monday evenings.

Kyteflyer

Go easy and don't trust my DSDT too much.

Trying an alternative install today without NBI (maceee.blogspot.com 1005HA install using MyHack installer) as NBI always seemed to lock up after doing a 10.6.X update (I think it's DSDT regeneration routine isn't reliable if you're not running on a Dell mini). I was also fed up with having to dung out the extra's folder again after doing an update.

All worked well with the Maceee method until I copied the DSDT in and then the system blew up completely. White screen on reboot and even rebooting with the -x flag won't let me in. (And of course I don't now have the "recovery=y" option that NBI would have given me....) .

I think I may have a fix to try tomorrow but for now don't trust the file as the basis of a stable system. If I can generate a better one, I'll repost it for you.

Baldrick45

ACtually, my install is just fine. I was being impatient as Little Snitch was rearranging itself. waited longer on the next reboot and all is fine again. Your dsdt.aml file is perfect, as far as I am concerned. Sorted my issues very nicely. Thanks again ;)

[edit] I havent used the NBI dsdt regeneration thing since the first time it screwed up. I follow MightCrownG's instructions with (now) the exception of using your dsdt instead of his, and the downloaded kext from 10.6.5 beta for wireless. Everything else I do as per instruction

Its all good. Don't check anything in NBI except the first two options, unless using it will hide the NBI files which you dont want.

Anybody else having trouble with the powersupply? I think my cable must be kinked or something. Its on sometimes and others not... positional change seems to fix iit. Wish they had something much less flimsy.

Anybody else having trouble with the powersupply? I think my cable must be kinked or something. Its on sometimes and others not... positional change seems to fix iit. Wish they had something much less flimsy.

This is a common problem with this kinda pin chargers, it could be loss on the power connector which sits on your mother board. It can be caused by too much movement when it is charging. I d suggest to DIY If you know how to disassemble the machine and where the power connector is. Just solder the connector to become tight again

No-one is responding to my other thread so please excuse me if I post here among other 1001HA owners.

What is your battery life like? My 3-cell 2200mAh battery gives me 2h to 2h15mins. I am pretty sure that's because Speedstep isn't working. If I load CPU-i it is detecting my N270 and reporting 6 possible p-states which it can reach by reducing the clock multiplier from 12 down to 6. But when I go to the status tab which shows what speed your processor is running at at any instant, it never drops below 12. Constant full speed = crappy battery life.

According to other postings and other Forums (Fora? - mydellmini for one) using NBI 0.84 RC2 and above (I used the latest 10.6.4 patched version) should just give you a working Speedstep install on a Mini 9 or 10v.

I'm guessing that one of the Dell specific kexts or plist files has a line of code or toggles a switch to activate speedstep. But that's just my guess. Any other lucky owners care to report their success (or lack of it) with Speedstep?

For me getting up to a 3h battery life would just about finish off my eMac perfectly without having to resort to buying a new 6 cell battery.

Hoping someone wiser than me can shed some light on this.

Baldrick45

PS - I'd like to stay as close to vanilla as poss with my install but if anyone has had luck using an Apple power disabler kext and VoodooPowerMini then I'd love to hear about that too.

This is a common problem with this kinda pin chargers, it could be loss on the power connector which sits on your mother board. It can be caused by too much movement when it is charging. I d suggest to DIY If you know how to disassemble the machine and where the power connector is. Just solder the connector to become tight again

It didn't occur to me that it might be an on-board problem, so I went ahead a couple of nights ago and ordered a new power supply from a place I never heard of. I do hope it actually arrives. I'm not able to do disassembling and soldering so would have to pay vast sums to someone else to do that... not sure after the original cheap cost of the machine that its worth bothering with, if it turns out that the issue is with the connector on the motherboard. My feeling though is that its not. it hardly gets any movement at all.

Whichever is the source of the problem, I now have NO power supply working, so cannot use the netbook after the battery is depleted. So I'm hoping the full charge it had will hold it until the new supply arrives.

Thanks for your suggestion :D

No-one is responding to my other thread so please excuse me if I post here among other 1001HA owners.

What is your battery life like? My 3-cell 2200mAh battery gives me 2h to 2h15mins. I am pretty sure that's because Speedstep isn't working. If I load CPU-i it is detecting my N270 and reporting 6 possible p-states which it can reach by reducing the clock multiplier from 12 down to 6. But when I go to the status tab which shows what speed your processor is running at at any instant, it never drops below 12. Constant full speed = crappy battery life.

According to other postings and other Forums (Fora? - mydellmini for one) using NBI 0.84 RC2 and above (I used the latest 10.6.4 patched version) should just give you a working Speedstep install on a Mini 9 or 10v.

I'm guessing that one of the Dell specific kexts or plist files has a line of code or toggles a switch to activate speedstep. But that's just my guess. Any other lucky owners care to report their success (or lack of it) with Speedstep?

For me getting up to a 3h battery life would just about finish off my eMac perfectly without having to resort to buying a new 6 cell battery.

Baldrick45

PS - I'd like to stay as close to vanilla as poss with my install but if anyone has had luck using an Apple power disabler kext and VoodooPowerMini then I'd love to hear about that too.

I can't help, my 1001HA actually came with a 6 cell, and I haven't really used it up or paid much attention. I've recently installed vista (I need windows on native hardware as opposed to a virtual machine for a software/hardware combo I intend to buy to help me keep tabs on my diabetes) so I probably can't ever help. I did see your other post, but not fitting the same profile, did not answer then. Sorry ;)

Kyteflyer

No prob's. I am just interested in fighting out this issue if I can and thought fellow owners might be the most sympathetic to my plea!

I now have a Win7 dual-boot set-up on my 1001 which works a treat. It helped that I found a SLIC enabled BIOS which has let me install Asus Win7 Ultimate with factory pre-activation. Win7 is nice and is certainly snappier to use than Vista (although still noticeably slower than XP). I'd say in day-to-day use it feels as fast for email/web/word processing etc as my Core2Duo main box. But then I don't strain things too much anyway. 3-4 browser tabs and an email client at the one time is as demanding as I get.....

Good luck with the diabetes kit. I have a nephew suffers badly with diabetes and I know it's much more serious than "it's just a couple of jabs a day". Hope the new bits-and-bobs work perfectly and make your life easier and safer..

Baldrick45

Hi. Vanilla speedstep is not an easy task. thats why i m not spending any time on it. I know it will end up sucking days out of time. But i can give u a couple of hints.

1st, U need this link to understand how it works

2nd, this is a translated page via Google shows how to apply it

3nd, u need Patched kernel for atom from Tea-team

last, Search MSR tool to test whether it works or not

Of course u need to know DSDT well

Thank-you so much. This is exactly what I need to get me started. I don't mind some effort messing with my DSDT and and if I have any success I'll be sure and post back.

Catch you around soon (I hope).

baldrick45

Thank-you so much. This is exactly what I need to get me started. I don't mind some effort messing with my DSDT and and if I have any success I'll be sure and post back.

Catch you around soon (I hope).

baldrick45

The attachment is the SSDT i dumped from Linux. A Head start for you. I believe that there are folks already had speedstep working on the Atom N270, you might search around and get some idea how it works. Do delete Nullpowemangement.kext and sleepenabler.kext When you are using native power management

1001HA_SSDTdump.rar

I have the Asus 1001PX which I suspect is close to the 1001H discussed here. Everything works except under OSX 10.6.4 it cannot run at 64 bit although did at 10.6.0. Also I have no QE/CI. When I tried the stock DSDT in Netbookinstaller the system blew up so I am nervous to try that again. Restart does not work properly although I can live with that but would like to get full graphics. It does not show my proper device id in System Profiler but I am sure my kexts are properly installed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have the Asus 1001PX which I suspect is close to the 1001H discussed here. Everything works except under OSX 10.6.4 it cannot run at 64 bit although did at 10.6.0. Also I have no QE/CI. When I tried the stock DSDT in Netbookinstaller the system blew up so I am nervous to try that again. Restart does not work properly although I can live with that but would like to get full graphics. It does not show my proper device id in System Profiler but I am sure my kexts are properly installed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I dont know what hardware your pc has. The graphic kext supports only gma950. Do not use DSDT extraction in NBI. Use DSDTSE or DSDT editor in this forum.

I rechecked the hardware and this model has the Intel GMA3150 chip and I am unsure where to find drivers for this. I see there is a thread for the 1001PX so I will move my questions there. Thanks for your help and I will generate a DSDT as suggested and then edit it appropriately.

Don't you just love hackintoshes! I have been trying the most obvious Speedstep fixes prior to getting hot and heavy with my DSDT again.

I'm not wedded to a "vanilla" system so gave voodoopowermini a rattle over the last few days. Despite making sure nullCPU....kext was also loaded to disable native power management, I couldn't get passed a KP on start-up. So, I then deleted the two offending kexts from S/L/E, ran NBI's extension's update and got a working system back - Well almost....

Sleep is now broken <bugg*r> it sit's there with the screen on and the mouse pointer vanished but goes no further. My beautiful 2-3 seconds to sleep function is stuffed. But even more weird.... CPU-i now reports that the system is flicking between a 12x multiplier and a 6x multiplier <it previously never moved from 12x> which makes me think that one p-state is now working somehow.

I had been about to try and switch my model identifier from 1001HA (which I presume it has picked up from SMBIOSResolver.kext) to Macbook 3,1 as some postings suggest that native PM requires the system to identify itself as a Macbook which uses powersaving. I can't see where you over-ride the resolver calculated values as the info.plist already lists only a Mackbook5,1 but system profiler still correctly identifies a 1001HA and Atom processor.

Ah well, its been at least a week from I installed OSX, if a re-install of NBI doesn't fix sleep then it's back to the start with a nuclear reformatting as sleep is even more important to me than speedstep.

I love OSX86, and I guess it's the nature of so many community developed add-ins that all of the places they hook in and change, and a lot of their detailed configuration settings just never get properly documented but boy is it a pain is the ass. One step forward shouldn't always mean two steps back.

Grrrr... It's late and I'm off to bed before I re-install Win7 in disgust.

UPDATE:A further re-run of NBI has got sleep working again and CPU-i continues to show a 12x to 6x flicker. I'm hoping that means if I can patch my DSDT then speedstep will know the p-states and CPU voltages it needs to work properly and I'll be sorted. --- Watch this space and keep your fingers crossed ---

Don't you just love hackintoshes! I have been trying the most obvious Speedstep fixes prior to getting hot and heavy with my DSDT again.

I'm not wedded to a "vanilla" system so gave voodoopowermini a rattle over the last few days. Despite making sure nullCPU....kext was also loaded to disable native power management, I couldn't get passed a KP on start-up. So, I then deleted the two offending kexts from S/L/E, ran NBI's extension's update and got a working system back - Well almost....

Sleep is now broken <bugg*r> it sit's there with the screen on and the mouse pointer vanished but goes no further. My beautiful 2-3 seconds to sleep function is stuffed. But even more weird.... CPU-i now reports that the system is flicking between a 12x multiplier and a 6x multiplier <it previously never moved from 12x> which makes me think that one p-state is now working somehow.

I had been about to try and switch my model identifier from 1001HA (which I presume it has picked up from SMBIOSResolver.kext) to Macbook 3,1 as some postings suggest that native PM requires the system to identify itself as a Macbook which uses powersaving. I can't see where you over-ride the resolver calculated values as the info.plist already lists only a Mackbook5,1 but system profiler still correctly identifies a 1001HA and Atom processor.

Ah well, its been at least a week from I installed OSX, if a re-install of NBI doesn't fix sleep then it's back to the start with a nuclear reformatting as sleep is even more important to me than speedstep.

I love OSX86, and I guess it's the nature of so many community developed add-ins that all of the places they hook in and change, and a lot of their detailed configuration settings just never get properly documented but boy is it a pain is the ass. One step forward shouldn't always mean two steps back.

Grrrr... It's late and I'm off to bed before I re-install Win7 in disgust.

UPDATE:A further re-run of NBI has got sleep working again and CPU-i continues to show a 12x to 6x flicker. I'm hoping that means if I can patch my DSDT then speedstep will know the p-states and CPU voltages it needs to work properly and I'll be sorted. --- Watch this space and keep your fingers crossed ---

For the Smbios, Are you sure you fix the permission and rebuild cache after u get rid of Smbiosresolver?

I d suggest to use recovery=y at boot if you face any boot failure. therefore you do not have to go through reinstalling and any of those headaches.

Can you upload ur DSDT?

For the Smbios, Are you sure you fix the permission and rebuild cache after u get rid of Smbiosresolver?

I d suggest to use recovery=y at boot if you face any boot failure. therefore you do not have to go through reinstalling and any of those headaches.

Can you upload ur DSDT?

MightycrownG

Thanks for the feedback. I will try what you say but my tinkering has been derailed for a few days.

My Win7 dual boot picked up the Aleuron.h rootkit. In trying to remove it the Win 7 installation got wrecked. In trying to repair, that the MBR for the Snow Leo partition got damaged and even booting off my USB installer stick Chameleon would fall over half way through loading, even on recovery=y.

Sooo - Nuclear option it was and I'm now back to a 10.6.4 desktop with a non-working sleep again....

If this happens again I'll be abandoning dual booting but there are a couple of pieces of presentation software I need to run under winblows and I need every bit of speed the Atom can provide...

(But what's the bets when I get around to looking at speedstep again that my CPU multiplier is back locked at x12??)

Re: My dsdt. It hasn't changed yet from the version I posted for Kyteflyer about 2 weeks ago (Page 2 of this thread) You're more than welcome to look at it and use is anyway you want.

Thanks for all the groundwork you put in to this thread. It really is incredible how some kexts just work for one particular system and anyting else will have you tearing your hair out.

You have saved every other 1001HA owner weeks and weeks of frustration with your clear instructions and collected kexts. Very, very much appreciated.

Baldrick45

PS - If I remove SMBIOSresolver, do I just need to copy an SMBIOS.plist into my Extras folder and run UpdateExtras?

Update: Native powermanagement. Speedstep with P-stat. Check out the First post

MightycrownG

Thanks for the feedback. I will try what you say but my tinkering has been derailed for a few days.

My Win7 dual boot picked up the Aleuron.h rootkit. In trying to remove it the Win 7 installation got wrecked. In trying to repair, that the MBR for the Snow Leo partition got damaged and even booting off my USB installer stick Chameleon would fall over half way through loading, even on recovery=y.

Sooo - Nuclear option it was and I'm now back to a 10.6.4 desktop with a non-working sleep again....

If this happens again I'll be abandoning dual booting but there are a couple of pieces of presentation software I need to run under winblows and I need every bit of speed the Atom can provide...

(But what's the bets when I get around to looking at speedstep again that my CPU multiplier is back locked at x12??)

Re: My dsdt. It hasn't changed yet from the version I posted for Kyteflyer about 2 weeks ago (Page 2 of this thread) You're more than welcome to look at it and use is anyway you want.

Thanks for all the groundwork you put in to this thread. It really is incredible how some kexts just work for one particular system and anyting else will have you tearing your hair out.

You have saved every other 1001HA owner weeks and weeks of frustration with your clear instructions and collected kexts. Very, very much appreciated.

Baldrick45

PS - If I remove SMBIOSresolver, do I just need to copy an SMBIOS.plist into my Extras folder and run UpdateExtras?

Thanks for the appreciation. I do not know that much myself, just kinda pick up what ever is already done. I admit that it is quite tough without any Computer, Coding skills.

Well U can check out the update if it is working for u. Please let me know. I might have missed something.

MightyCrownG

Will look at this when I get home tonight. my work PC won't let me access your Extra file but I'm really pleased to hear about your progress.

I presume that the Smbios.pllist makes OSX think its a Macbook and activate power management. After that, have you manually tweaked the DSDT to get the p-states set correctly?

Just wondering so that I can be sure to cut-n-paste the right bits into my DSDT since it is working very well for everything else in my 2Gig setup.

Thanks again. Once I have my netbook runing the PM smoothly, I'll try lookinging into the c-states too. Perhaps I can return some of your hard work to-date.

Guess that's another few beers we all owe you..........

Hi mightycrownG,

Known issue: Cstate is not working, Powersouce is constant on Adaptor.

To fix this you must add "SystemType" key with string value "2" to your com.apple.Boot.plist, like this:

<key>SystemType</key>

<string>2</string>

This is needed to tell the system that your computer is a laptop. Default is "1" which is desktop, and desktops rather don't have a battery installed :) Exact key name may differ for your bootloader version (Chameleon), check this with doc. I use latest Chameleon from meklort's branch, and this is working great. Also, that bootloader gave me working p-states as well as c-states simply by enabling them in boot plist also. At least I have now CSTInfo in IORegistry :)

Warning: If you want to install meklort's chameleon, besides copying boot to root of your disk, you need to copy whole "modules" folder to "/Extra". That "modules" folder now contains libraries (".dylib" files) which are loaded by boot dynamically if it needs them.

Ah yes, I have 1001HA also :)

Regards

Hi mightycrownG,

To fix this you must add "SystemType" key with string value "2" to your com.apple.Boot.plist, like this:

<key>SystemType</key>

<string>2</string>

This is needed to tell the system that your computer is a laptop. Default is "1" which is desktop, and desktops rather don't have a battery installed :pirate2: Exact key name may differ for your bootloader version (Chameleon), check this with doc. I use latest Chameleon from meklort's branch, and this is working great. Also, that bootloader gave me working p-states as well as c-states simply by enabling them in boot plist also. At least I have now CSTInfo in IORegistry :D

Warning: If you want to install meklort's chameleon, besides copying boot to root of your disk, you need to copy whole "modules" folder to "/Extra". That "modules" folder now contains libraries (".dylib" files) which are loaded by boot dynamically if it needs them.

Ah yes, I have 1001HA also :)

Regards

Hi

Thanks for the hint. I will try it as soon as i have my hands on the 1001HA. BTW, you are not using any SSDT to define your P or C states, just the bootloader itself, right? have you tried deep sleep and Auto deepsleep when battery is low

BTW, you are not using any SSDT to define your P or C states, just the bootloader itself, right?

Yes. I haven't had much luck with merging them into DSDT.

have you tried deep sleep and Auto deepsleep when battery is low

Unfortunately that's not working. The sleepimage file in /var/vm is created only when I set sleep mode to 3 from terminal. But on invoking sleep it's not updated. I don't see any disk activity and going sleep procedure is as fast as in 0 mode.

I haven't really looked into that, mainly because standby to ram is what suits my needs best.

Yes. I haven't had much luck with merging them into DSDT.

Unfortunately that's not working. The sleepimage file in /var/vm is created only when I set sleep mode to 3 from terminal. But on invoking sleep it's not updated. I don't see any disk activity and going sleep procedure is as fast as in 0 mode.

I haven't really looked into that, mainly because standby to ram is what suits my needs best.

Hi , i just tried the new bootloader with C P state enable parameter. It works flawlessly. Deepsleep works, but won't auto deepsleep when battery is low. You have to do it manually. BTW, i tried to install OSX with Myhack, however i could not get Trackpad preferences to load, therefore my 2 fingers scroll is not working. Is it possible to upload your trackpad preferences and ApplePS2 mouse keyboad kext. Thanks.

In addition, i recommend you to try the New HWSensor.