AMD buying ATI

xiberia

39 posts in this topic

I suppose that AMD is taking a long term vision in this MERGER...so that they can compete with Intel in every department.. coz now if AMD buys ATI, then they r with a company producing the motherboards and HENCE.. AMD's own motherboard designs.. hence competing with Intel's wide range of motherboards.. and one can easily guess that if the processor making firms designs its own motherboard, this helps them in getting most out of their processor..

But i think of what nVidia has to say on this merger.. :dev:

and i suppose that the merger will not affect AMD and nVidia FRIENDSHIP.. coz AMD will utilize this ATI firm for cheaper solutions as a whole.. coz now they can make cheaper motherboards with onboard graphics 4 the low end market and everyone knows that well no company beats the quality given by nVidia nForce and GeForce chipset.. :angel:

But on the other side of this merger, we can see a new horizon to Intel and nVidia FRIENDSHIP...LOL.. :tomato:

People, maybe Apple will continue to use ATI/AMD video cards?

I doubt that AMD/ATI would be stupid enough to refuse to sell video cards that they are trying to... I don't know... maybe SELL!

Nothing will change for Apple, except the name brand of video cards in question. And the future will no doubt bring AMD into the logic board arena with it's own integrated graphics onboard... Just like Intel, the reason Apple chose Intel.

THEN you might see AMD chips in Apple. Once AMD catches up to where Intel is.

This got shot down twice on Digg due to large amounts of people who felt this article was inaccurate. I'm going to take it with a grain of salt, but if it is true, it will have a definate impact on Apple Computers.

Things are looking a little enticing on the AMD side of things, as opposed to Intel. Intel will have quad cores, but it's basically two dual-core CPUs on one dye. AMD's quad core will implement 4 CPUs on one dye, which has its advantages. It's easy enough for Apple to take out the "genuine intel CPU check" or w/e to allow some AMD variants of its machines...

it will be a good thing, as both processors and graphics cards need to be able to do more without contributing to global warming. We'll see what happens from there.

As for AMD possibly screwing Apple--IBM and Motorola found out firsthand what happens when you screw with Apple. You get dumped.

And who cares, I doubt It will hurt ether big corp if apple dumps them, i mean seriously, motorola and IBM are still around and doing just fine....... seriously, if you can sell to apple thats great, because then you have those sales, but if you lose them it will not hurt you that much (i hate apple)

max

and to add to this, Intel has pulled ATI:

"Intel has pulled ATI's chipset license, meaning that there will be no more ATI (or rather, AMD) chipsets for Intel processors after the end of the year."

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/07/24/in...hipset_license/

Well you have to remember, nvidia also makes chipsets, which of course favored AMD.

As I mentioned before, Intel is working on a chipset that is supposed to be Vista ready meaning = to ATI on board ATI for Apple, but here is the glitch, ATI now AMD, and Nvidia which competes to some extent with Intel, leaves intel well, with with intel and puts a tad bit of pressure on Apples choices. In addition, there is nothing that can stop Apple from using AMD. Until the Conroe/Memoron, AMD has had the best FPU/Raw CPU power at a lower megahertz and for many Apple users, most of the audio/video pro's that I know that used Apple and switched to PC where via AMD. Now however, the dual core 2 is very strong but that is not to say that AMD does not have something up it's sleeve, as it was reported ohhhh, over a year or so ago, that AMD had a quad core that required NO, as in NOTHING, heatsink and was cool to the touch under load.

AMD also has a better memory controller, so in time we shall see.

Either way, this opens the doors MORE for APPLE than ever before, don't be surprised if AMD becomes part of APPLES plans, especially since they have been part of the AMD Hypertransport Consortium for years and there are also talks that AMD and IBM are working together.

In theory, essense, speculation, it could very well be that Apple has used INTC (wall street tech stock symbol) for development, leaked OSX to be hacked to watch the development of the PC (bascially using us as beta testers) and Apple might be on the verge of a break through year and years to come, especially with price to performance ratio meaning Apple no longer over priced and hyped and actually overs a good bang for the buck. The problem though for some, which is just 3% (audio/video users) of PC users, is that they have invested thousands $$$$$ in .exe programs.

Exciting times none the less.

PS, for those interested in this sort of news - - there is speculation that Intel could merge with Nvidia http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/24/technology...rce=yahoo_quote

In addition, should AMD come out with a new killer chip and ATI comes out with a great onboard GPU (NOTE INTELS NEW MOTHERBOARDS ARE RUNNING HOT (ouch), this could be the reason Apple could say, we want to use AMD too.

Bottom Line = everything is about to get blazingly fast for desktops (QUAD) and laptops Dual Dual core.

Power out the wazzzzoooooo ! :idea:

One last thing, for those wondering why AMD stocks might be down today is this is normal when AMD releases good news - the stock is pushed down as INTEL owns quite a bit of shares and what they do is sell, sell, sell, which causes the selling of the stock - it usally rebounds in about 1-3 days. Normal tactic to get weak holders to sell there shares.

Also, it should be known that there are a few companies that are using, developing programs that utilize the GPU power to help the CPU, e.g., for a system using VST plug-ins, (software synths, which eats FPU power), they are developing programs that use the GPU in a way that is similar to a PCI plug in card whereas the GPU takes some of the load off the CPU, as GPU is not needed for audio work.

Just something to think about as many things could change as well as the way we compute.

Chipset wise Nvidia kills ATI, but GPU performance wise ATI has the edge over Nvidia. Nvidias top cards maybe clocked faster than ATIs top cards, and have more pixel pipelines, but ATIs top cards can handle more shaders then Nvidias can. Which, shaders is what games are dependant on now, example is the D3 engine games.OpenGL+shader+D3 engine.And the stencel shadows.

But, I like this news actually. ATI and AMD is a good combo in a PC. I would like to see AMD chips in Macs sooner or later.

As for heat, Intels motherboards run hot, and are normal tempatures for them but ATI boards run EXTREMELY hot, but is average for them, and not a problem.

Not to take the great thread out of contexts, but we want power, we need power for our mobile machines. Who's up for the job to make battery supplies more reliable? What are the power consumptions on these new chips coming out? Based on the current standard batteries we have now, can the new processors extend our battery life? If not, what's the point in always plugging in our C2D after 2hrs?

and to add to this, Intel has pulled ATI:

"Intel has pulled ATI's chipset license, meaning that there will be no more ATI (or rather, AMD) chipsets for Intel processors after the end of the year."

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/07/24/in...hipset_license/

Their sources apparently jumped the gun a little, thank God.

(the following is mere speculation)

I wouldn't worry too much about any end of things; Intel and AMD aren't exactly in good positions for one to buck the other. In the meantime, AMD will profit from "ATI" sales even for Intel chips, and Intel already IS the biggest supplier of graphics chips (albeit integrated). NVIDIA... uh, their press releases seem optimistic. From a strictly economic perspective (that is, ignoring the performance of the chips) it seems that the economy will be the winner for now with a barrage of companies making new stuff being released this year and next year, cheaper and faster. Of course, what happens after this year could be anyone's guess, and perhaps NVIDIA is the only one at a disadvantage at present.

(you are now exiting the spin zone)

I do have a problem with this announcement though.

What people aren't taking into consideration is that all of these mega-mergers going on all over the country are NOT good for the industry!

Anyone remember the Ma Bell nightmare? The nightmare that is about to start again with the AT&T->BellSouth merger? Now we've got AMD grabbing ATI, Intel probably thinking about going for nVidia... Less separate companies = less competition = no real reason to keep prices low.

i think it is not going to change very much. i think ATI will have it own ideas for the future. just all the money made by ATI go's to AMD now. apple will still gets it ATI chips and intel will still support there chips in the future well i hope the story does make it sound like ATI will get drop altogther by intel. but intel is mostly dropping ATI's crossfire duel graphics cards that suck and almost no one buys. if you are going to have a duel gpus you are going to have nidivia SLI i mean who the hell is going to bother with ATI crossfire read some of the reviews of it and you can see why intel is dropping crossfire mobo. you can never tell what will happen to ATI and AMD after the merger maybe ATI chip sets will sell more and AMD will sell more fo there chips or it could go bad and they sell less chips no one can tell at this point. i think it wont change very much kinda like the dell+alienware buy out.

it will be a good thing, as both processors and graphics cards need to be able to do more without contributing to global warming. We'll see what happens from there.

As for AMD possibly screwing Apple--IBM and Motorola found out firsthand what happens when you screw with Apple. You get dumped.

You also have to remember, IBM is supplying a CPU for the PS3, Xbox360, the Wii, and the Gamecube.

I don't think they have much to worry about. Cept how much the Cell CPU brought up the price of the Ps3. :(