Model ID Problems

3 posts in this topic

So, I got 10.6.4 installed on my Supermicro x7dal using the retail install method. It took very minimal work to get it working, just install pcefi 10.6 on the install disc and a couple of the kexts.

Now my only problem is that the model id shows up in system profiler as an iMac8,1. My system almost exactly resembles a first gen Mac Pro with dual dual core 2.66 xeons, intel 5000x chipset and ddr2 5300 FBDIMMs.

I've been searching on how to change this Model ID and cant find anything conclusive or helpful. I've tried changing it in appleSMBIOS.kext, but it doesnt work, usually only changing the model then nothing else such as processor info or memory info.

I've read some places that it's built into the kernel during install, but I don't believe this is the case, but if I'm wrong please correct me.

Help would be much appreciated!

THANKS!!!

So, I got 10.6.4 installed on my Supermicro x7dal using the retail install method. It took very minimal work to get it working, just install pcefi 10.6 on the install disc and a couple of the kexts.

Now my only problem is that the model id shows up in system profiler as an iMac8,1. My system almost exactly resembles a first gen Mac Pro with dual dual core 2.66 xeons, intel 5000x chipset and ddr2 5300 FBDIMMs.

I've been searching on how to change this Model ID and cant find anything conclusive or helpful. I've tried changing it in appleSMBIOS.kext, but it doesnt work, usually only changing the model then nothing else such as processor info or memory info.

I've read some places that it's built into the kernel during install, but I don't believe this is the case, but if I'm wrong please correct me.

Help would be much appreciated!

THANKS!!!

Use SMBIOS.plist inside your "Extra" folder. E.g. see this post

LOL i saw that right after i posted. I do really appreciate the reply though. Worked excellent. I even guessed the memory type to be 20 and it came out to DDR2 FB-DIMM in SYstem Profiler. PERFECT.

Now my last issue is the processor type, it shows as Core 2 DUo even though I have Xeons. How do I go about changing this?

Ok, so it's in that link you posted, but not for Xeons. Do we not know how to get xeons to display yet?