Absolute N00b Researching Hackintosh Hardware Specs

2 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone!

I am 100% new to Macs, OS X, and Hackintoshes. I have been reading through the forums and the book OSx86: Creating a Hackintosh for a month or so. I am a Windows professional by day and am familiar with concepts such as OS imaging, partitions, IRQ, etc; but I'm out of my depth with choosing hardware for my first Mac.

I am a night time film student and was hoping to build a video editing Hackintosh that could dual boot Windows 7 (for video apps not available to OS X) and then boot to OS X. I want to load Adobe Creative Suite CS5 (on the Windows partition) and I am hoping to take advantage of the new Mercury Engine in Premiere CS5, but I am very restricted by what video cards will run in OS X; according to the HCL lists. I found a machine for sale that has a video card that will work with OS X (and Premiere CS5), but I am wondering what else in this hardware bundle might be usable as a Hackintosh before I try to make an offer.

Would you guys be willing to take a look and give me your opinion? I have been searching the forum and Google for "<insert computer part from this list> Hackintosh" and have not found much. Maybe that means the only thing I can use from this machine is the video card?

Thanks for everyone's help and patience!!!

Brian

Here are the machine specs:

CPU: LGA1336: Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601975

Motherboard LGA1336: ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: DDR3:6GB DDR3-1600 MHz 3@2gig sticks

Hard Drive(s): Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

2 - WD VelociRaptor 150 GB Internal hard drives *2 @ 300 Gigs

1- WD black edition, 32 mb buffer, standard, 1000 gig storage drive

Optical Drive(s):SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A - OEM

VideoCard(s): ZOTAC ZT-285E3LA-FCP GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Sound Card: Soundblaster Extreme Fidelity

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-096R-_-Product

That hardware seems like it would be expensive even used.

"Memory: DDR3:6GB DDR3-1600 MHz 3@2gig sticks" socket 1366 can use either dual or triple channel memory but kinda strange its in dual. Missing a stick?

"CPU: LGA1336: Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield" i930 or i860 can keep up in clock speed if overclocked and the price on the i7-975 might be overly priced used or new(rip-off).

""Hard Drive(s): Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB " OLD use an SSD, it will be so snappy that you won't go to a mechanical drive as your primary ever.

ZOTAC ZT-285E3LA-FCP GeForce GTX 285 1GB .... Hackintosh friendly

Soundblaster Extreme Fidelity- use the onboard with digital out to a mixer. Research this! some sound is fully working on 888 889 889a 1200 and a few others. It depends on what your motherboard comes with.

Motherboard: stick to Gigabyte, Asus will work but really just make sure you are in the pack and not the odd man out. Use what others tend to use so you get help and stuff ironed out and working through the issues. Updates tend to kill your install

Hint: Carbon Copy Cloner can save your bacon ... set aside a nice 20gigs on a spare HDD to just clone your install and it will save you time from mishaps.

Transmac, MacDrive8 work great to adjust your install from Windows... google is your friend

READ and READ and learn as much as you can about what Insanelymac has to offer. :)