My First Ban Ever.

should Mods moderate/erase unhelpful posts in help forums?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. should users get banned for flaming unhelpful posts?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. should mods delete unhelpful posts with a warning?

• yes
    • no

4 posts in this topic

well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. i literally only got like two posts or so over there before i got a permaban for flaming.

i'd get you a link to the post over there, but since i've got an IP ban, i can't until i change IPs. however, i just sent an email to tonymac. here were the contents of the email:

i doubt you'll even read this (i'd imagine your inbox gets rather full), but i'll proceed as if you are reading the whole thing.

i'm not here to apologize. looking back, i think i would say the same thing to that pretentious prick that posted before me. he was unhelpful, condescending, and annoying. there are two stil-supported options for audio that he clearly ignored so he could show off his superior gear and tastes. where i come from (the southern US), we're not big fans of that kind of behavior.

even his response felt pretentious "i run a forum of my own..." good for him. i fail to see how it's related, but good for him nonetheless. perhaps he deserves another congratulations.

it's hilarious to me that most windows users i know think mac users are elitist and haughty. apparently that attitude is seeping into the hackintosh scene.

so, i'm not apologizing, i do regret not being able to see your forum at the moment. but i'll change my ip eventually. i'll never post again (i promise), but eventually, i'll want to read what's on your forum. you have some very good stuff. my advice is to cut out the elitist stuff being said by people like tofuconfetti as soon as you can. everyone that's cobbled together a mac from spare parts because they couldn't afford a real one will see the same attitude that i see when i read stuff like his on your forum. you're incredibly helpful. don't let him leave a bad taste in the mouth of noobs like he has in mine. i know i was a noob on your site, but i've been running os x on x86 machines now for several years. i've been around for a little while, so it doesn't bother me.

you run a good forum with helpful information. i have no hard feelings towards your site for the ban and will continue recommending my friends to go to you to get information as they need it. all the best.

so, in light of all of that, i wish sometimes that moderators would get in and moderate attitudes. you know what i mean? like if mods went in and just erased unhelpful posts of people who simply want to show off, i would totally support that in a help forum. in discussion forums, it's fine, but if a guy asks for a low-cost solution and some one's first two responses are sound cards over $1000, just erase that post.

again, i'm not upset at my ban. kind of saw it coming.

1)should users get banned for flaming unhelpful posts?

It depends. For instance if your first post(s) is/are spam, yes, you should be banned.

2)should mods delete unhelpful posts with a warning?

Mods can delete every post which contributes nothing to the forum, but not necessarily with a warning:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

Meaningless and useless posts may be removed at Moderator's discretion.