Xbox 360 Live Vision Camera

Chiddy22

9 posts in this topic

I've done some searching and a lot of posts say this camera works OOB on OS X, but I've had no such luck. Opening Photobooth/iChat just shows a black screen, and opening Skype gives a message that "the camera is in use by another application"

Anyone seen this before/have any ideas? It's a USB cam, and I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5. Installed kexts are:

EVoreboot

fakesmc

iousbfamily

jmicron36xata

jmicron36xSATA

legacyappleRTC

NullCPUPowerManagement

NVEnabler

I can confirm (for me at least) this camera did work right out of the bag. Picked up a used one at gamestop for about $15. Brought it home, plugged it in, and I had a working webcam. First are you sure you have QE/CI enabled?....Second, if Skype is saying it is in use, maybe you have another program (like say Yahoo Messenger) that is stealing camera control. You may also want to try plugging it into a different USB port (on another hub if possible).

Hey thanks for replying.

I'm new to this, and I'm not sure what QE/CI is, or how to be sure it's enabled... Can you help me check/enable it if it's not?

I don't run any other apps besides the ones I've mentioned. I've tried booting right into OS X and opening Skype before anything else, but it gives the same message.

If you are in Leopard you can look under Graphics in System Profiler.

If you are in Snow Leopard when you drop a widget in Dashboard, you will get a nice ripple effect.

Might I make a suggestion that you read some basic FAQS on running osX86 before worrying about a webcam. If you are unaware of even what QE/CI is then there may be a whole list of other fundamentals you may be missing.

Well I have the ripple effect in Dashboard. Sorry, new to macs/hacks in general, I installed using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and for the most part everything seems to work fine. External hard drives/peripherals. What other info can I give you that might help?

System Profiler recognizes that I have a camera plugged in to a usb port, it just doesn't work.

System Profiler has under USB:

USB High Speed Bus

Product ID: 0x0294

Vendor ID: 0x045e (Microsoft Corporation)

Version: 2.02

Serial Number: 000Fxxxxxxxxxxx

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Location ID: 0xfd600000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Chiddy,

Sorry to say but I am out of ideas. Really sounded like a QE/CI issue. As you can see from my paste below, exact same hardware here. It simply worked. I don't use Skype so can't really say anything there. I have seen some posts about people getting black screens with 10.6.3 and Skype, but you are saying you get the black screen under Photobooth. Just tested iChat (usually use Adium) and the camera worked no problem.

Video Camera :

Product ID: 0x0294

Vendor ID: 0x045e (Microsoft Corporation)

Version: 2.02

Serial Number: 000Fxxxxxxxxxxx

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Location ID: 0xfd670000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Well damn. Do you have any special kexts installed that might come into play? I've tried plugging it into other USB ports, and it doesn't change anything at all.

Equally interesting is that all the programs seem to recognize it in some way. Photobooth has it selected in the camera drop down menu, but when I try to take a snapshot (just to see if anything would happen) it doesn't take the picture, despite acting like there's a camera attached (cause, well, there is)

Nope, not running any special kexts. I run as vanilla as possible. I can tell you that I had no problems in 10.6.2, 6.3, and 6.4 so it is not just a kext revision killing you.

I mean have you tried the camera on an actual Xbox or Windows to make sure that the camera itself is actually working?

I mean have you tried the camera on an actual Xbox or Windows to make sure that the camera itself is actually working?

Yeah I have a dual boot in Windows 7 and it works fine, It also worked fine on my friends actual Mac Pro, OOB.

I have a (probably stupid) thought. My computer thinks it's an iMac, which would obviously have a built in camera. Again I'm new to OS X/Hackintoshing, so I just didn't know if something like that could cause problems...