No Boot from iPod

16 posts in this topic

So I thought it'd be funny to try loading the OSx86 image onto my iPod and booting from it via USB, but when it gets to loading I just get some machine code and then an error saying to replace the disk with a proper one and reboot.

I loaded the tiger-x86-flat.img image onto the iPod using Winhex 12.35 (no errors), and my system specs are as follows:

Intel P4 3.6GHz LGA775

PCI Xpress ATI X800XT

2x75GB SATA Raptors in RAID-0

1x250GB SATA

Audigy 2 ZS

I remember reading somthing about issues with SATA, but I've not seen anything about anyone trying to boot with PCI-X graphics, so I'm particularly interested in this...

I also tried plugging the iPod into my work laptop, Dell M70, with same result...

Is it impossible to boot from iPod?

Thanks.

I'm assuming you have an iPod for Windows in which case it is probably formatted in fat32. fat32 has a file size limit of 2GB. the unzipped tiger flat img is 6 GB.

so to answer your question, it is not impossible to boot from an ipod you would just need a different file structure.

I wasn't putting the IMG on the ipod, I was writing the image to it...presumably the image of the drive used to create the IMG. This hsould have wiped the FAT32 and any previous data, right?

So I'd be left with a mac-formatted HD, essentially...

Wait isnt this irelivant if his mainboard doesnt support booting from firewire? Doesnt OS X need a firewire device to boot from external storage like an iPod... or did they fix that?

Wow is it just me or are some of the posts in reply are waaaayyy off. First off the image is 6 gigabytes if your IPOD is > Ipod mini it should work if your ipod is new enough to support USB. Secondly, yes if you had wiped the drive with a Disk copying software(im not familiar with win hex i have been using DD myself norton ghost and Drive image also work)then it would be formated to HFS+ and it would wite out your FAT sytem but... there are known issues if you do not "delete all partitions" on a drive before running DD so you might have to manually delete all partions on the IPOD before running your copy as if there is an errant "partion" it can cause problems the drive must be complete blank of partitions as if it had just rolled out of the factory so you have the least problems. FAT filesize limits do not apply to this post and no there is no need to format before hand as long as you wipe it clean of all partitions(i think even that is not mandatory if you only have 1 primary unformated partion) OSX only boots from firewire but if we are talking about OSX86 i can bouch for the fact that it boots from USB also.

• 8 months later...

I know that no one has responded in a really really long time to this thread, however, it is an interesting topic.

Would infact your ipod be functional (play music, notes, calendar) if you tried to install the tiger install dvd, or even the img file onto it?

i tried the demo version and my ipod doesnt seem to be detected.

PS: the program seems to be somewhat of a waste... Its basically a prettified version of my boot menu built into Windows, or Mac. What's different (and what i like) about the boot menus is that it will auto boot after a certain amount of time to the selected default partition. I'm not sure if it does that in acronis. It just seems that acronis is kind of a waste. If I'm missing something, someone please fill me in on additional features this program offers.