Power House Build Recommendations

5 posts in this topic

So I'm looking to get an i7, not the Extreme version...

The issue I have is that most of the gigabyte mobos I see on here are not up on newegg anymore.

Is there any new boards coming out that are just as amazing?

I'm wanting to put 12-16 gigs of ram in this thing, and use a 80gb SSD hard drive as my main drive.

I'm going to do a little video editing, mostly write stuff for classes and listen to music.

I also may want to use VMware for Windows 7.

I'm looking at running a SLI nVidia card, any recommendations let me know. I want a kick ass rig.

I will use a H50 from corsair to cool the chip, so I can do a little OCing.

So I'm looking to get an i7, not the Extreme version...

Is there any new boards coming out that are just as amazing?

Well there are several hot new boards out ($$$) that are dual 1366 socket. Talk about Power House.

eVGA Dual LGA-1366, ASUS Z8NA-D6C Dual LGA1366, and Intel S5500HCV to name a few.

If you have the budget, go for one of these and document your build.

Gigabyte late model motherboards have USB-3.0 and SATA 6GB/s I don't know about OS X support for these newer techs. If you just want 16GB and i7 and the safety of Gigabyte go for the GA-X58A-UD5(rev. 2.0) which supports both 4 core and 6 core i7s.

neil

neil

I second the X58A - I've seen a few successful hacks with that motherboard. Don't forget that SLI and Crossfire are not supported under OS X.

If you're doing only a little video editing (or even a lot) do you really need twelve gigs of RAM? I've got six and my machine is plenty fast for me. I would think you'd need a lot of RAM for a scratch disk, such as if you used Photoshop or were a big gamer.

Update:

I'm getting a i7 Extreme(I'm getting a kick ass deal, that's why), SSD, and I want to support 3 monitors.

I was thinking one 32 inch mounted on the wall, and 2-24 below the 32.

Why?

-I want to watch movies on the 32 screen, as I work on the two 24 inch monitors.

Will I need need, can I use dual nVidia cards? Any recommendations for kick ass cards?