Tripple Booting Vista?

Monkmachine

7 posts in this topic

I have both OSX and XP installed on my pc, I have XP on my Sata drive and OSX on my IDE drive.

I used the Chain0 method to get it dual booting, is there anyway to install vista aswel without messing up my OSX install, ie what I want it tripple booting xp, vista and osx. Im just having fun playing with different OS's and I want to get vista beta 2 going aswel. Any ideas on how I might get it working?

Ive done it. I used Acronis boot disk. What happens is that Vista takes your boot.ini and makes it its own. If you don't use a boot manager like acronis you will not be able to boot. I doubt if you can boot anything. I would recomend using the acronis option. Acronis scans your system and takes changes without needing you to boot therefore saving you. Ive done it with that. Vista makes its own boot loader. When you select windows in that program you will get vista or earlier versions of windows. If your not packing big heat with your laptop I don't recomend vista. Im using a two year old centrino laptop. Very Very slow. My graphics ati card isn't being recognized for accelerated graphics so no glass ware and very slow. No sound. No screen diming. My integrated wireless will not work too well. I'd recomend you to think about it. Vista is not that cool if you don't have an awesome system. Don't use the chain method. Vista will change that. Good luck.

FWIW, I initially had OSX on a 40GB PATA drive and XP on a SATA drive, dual booting via the chain option. Installed Vista on another partition on my SATA drive. Of course it took over as a bootloader but retained the OSX entry. No problems booting any of my OSs. Might try the Acronis method if I have to reinstall.

I use acronis disk director and use it's os selector feature to boot multiple OSes. The new version 10 has a very nice boot loader screen, it looks like WinXP login/welcome screen, only you select OS to boot instead of usernames.

On bootup, the "XP-like" boot loader screen loads, and I can choose to boot:

WinXP Pro SP2(default)

Vista Beta 2

OSX 10.4.6

Ubuntu Dapper

The hardest part was I'm using one SATA drive, and I had to make partitions for each OS. I installed XP first on the first partition, then Vista, then installed Acronis in XP. Then I installed OSX, and then finally ubuntu. I needed to temporary plug in an IDE drive to get OSX to install onto the SATA drive. Afterward, I removed the IDE drive.