Post Install Partitioning etc

9 posts in this topic

Hi Gang,

My old man has Windows 7 on his PC, but I'm going to help him install OS X (he wants to get away from Microsoft). The problem is that the MBR has already been set etc... I remember screwing up an MBR trying to Partition it with software and then install OSX.

How would I realistically go about partitioning the software to keep the MBR in place (I kind of like MBR's, nice easy install of different OS's).

I'm going to upgrade the Leopard to Snow as well. I've downloaded the standard retail Snow ISO. If I burn that to DVD or mount it to DMG, would that be sufficient?

Thanks again,

Joe

Hi Gang,

My old man has Windows 7 on his PC, but I'm going to help him install OS X (he wants to get away from Microsoft). The problem is that the MBR has already been set etc... I remember screwing up an MBR trying to Partition it with software and then install OSX.

How would I realistically go about partitioning the software to keep the MBR in place (I kind of like MBR's, nice easy install of different OS's).

I'm going to upgrade the Leopard to Snow as well. I've downloaded the standard retail Snow ISO. If I burn that to DVD or mount it to DMG, would that be sufficient?

Thanks again,

Joe

Dear skezza.

You can use Acronis Disk Director application to shrink or move the First Windows 7 MBR boot partition to create space towards the beginning of the Drive for Leopard/Snow Leopard. That is the most recommended method as Chameleon helps in easily booting Windows 7 boot partition.

Windows 7 on the other hand, SUCKS! royally if you load Any Mac OS X on a partition which is NOT the first partition. Pretty tough to get the Windows boot loader to initiate the "chain0" file.

I'm speaking for myself. YMMW, and few others have been able to successfully able to do it.

I DID NOT because, I prefer to keep both the Operating Systems on Physically Different Hard Disks. (check my Sig).

Lastly, IF you go ahead with MBR partition system, you'll need to edit the Retail Snow Leopard DMG or ISO file and replace the OSInstall.mpkg file inside it, with the one available on the Internet. Google it.

OR Search Insanelymac. It's all HERE!!!!! ;)

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :rolleyes:

ah I see, would it be easier to use a GUID with Windows 7, or is it just a pain in the {censored} arse ? To be honest, I'm trying to convince him to return to Windows XP, but had no luck. So it's not as simple as XP and executing the chain0 file? To be honest, I would just set the OSX partition as primary so Chameleon boots then loads the NT Bootloader, wouldn't that work?

ah I see, would it be easier to use a GUID with Windows 7, or is it just a pain in the {censored} arse ? To be honest, I'm trying to convince him to return to Windows XP, but had no luck. So it's not as simple as XP and executing the chain0 file? To be honest, I would just set the OSX partition as primary so Chameleon boots then loads the NT Bootloader, wouldn't that work?

Either ways, with MBR or GUID, Windows 7 is a PITA! XP was easier!

And, you set the OSX as active or not, (using Chameleon or PC-EFI bootloader), it NEEDS to be the FIRST primary partition, if you are using only ONE physical drive.

That makes it simpler, and much easier to fix problems (if any do occur) as well as Boot Windows (XP or 7).

Hence, considering you have 3 partitions - 1st, 2nd, 3rd where

Case 1:

1st: OSX

2nd: Win

3rd: Data

or

Case 2:

1st: Win

2nd: OSX

3rd: Data

Case no. 2 causes boot problems, cause by referring to all OSX installation methods/guides, you install Windows first, then install OSX.

Then, It would overwrite the Windows bootloader (NTloader) and make life pretty difficult for you to get both Windows & OSX to boot using chameleon.

Probably it might sound confusing but the issue is with Windows. Its bootloader is pretty stubborn in loading other OSes bootloader. Linux, etc... etc... OK?

Hence, You always go with Case 1, where you DO load Win first then, install OSX, then use Chameleon and everything is super smooth to boot since first reboot. OK?

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :angel:

Yeah, makes absolutely perfect sense. Basically exactly the same as what I did on the laptop I'm writing this message on right now. Installed XP first, installed OS X. Set OS X as the primary partition, used Chameleon to boot either XP or OS X. Of course, it always wants to boot OS X first, but I'm not bothered about that, although changing the boot priority would be a great feature for Chameleon, but I know its fundamentally based on Darwin making it very hard.

I also put Ubuntu on this, through Wubi, which means, I click Windows, and then get offered Windows or Ubuntu haha. But its great. Definitely a good setup in my opinion.

Thanks very much mate :angel:

And, you set the OSX as active or not, (using Chameleon or PC-EFI bootloader), it NEEDS to be the FIRST primary partition, if you are using only ONE physical drive.

That's not true. I've done several installations in which OS X is not in the first primary partition and they've all worked. Here's the partition table from one current installation:

$ sudo diskutil list /dev/disk0
/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*320.1 GB   disk0
  1:				 DOS_FAT_16 FREEDOS				 65.8 MB	disk0s1
  2:					   0x17						 30.0 GB	disk0s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS Speaker PATA 10.6	   31.7 GB	disk0s4
  4:					  Linux						 162.9 MB   disk0s5
  5:					  Linux						 164.5 MB   disk0s6
  6:				 Linux_Swap						 1.6 GB	 disk0s7
  7:				  Linux_LVM						 151.7 GB   disk0s8
  8:				  Apple_HFS Mac Data				104.7 GB   disk0s9

The 0x17 partition is a Windows boot partition, just "hidden" so that OS X doesn't try to mount it.

A caveat: My installations generally use GRUB Legacy or GRUB 2 as at least part of the boot process. (This one uses GRUB Legacy to chain-load to Chameleon.) The OSx86 boot loader situation strikes me as being very murky; I don't fully understand the capabilities and requirements of these boot loaders, and I think most OSx86 users are at least as confused as I am.

That's not true. I've done several installations in which OS X is not in the first primary partition and they've all worked. Here's the partition table from one current installation:

$ sudo diskutil list /dev/disk0
/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*320.1 GB   disk0
  1:				 DOS_FAT_16 FREEDOS				 65.8 MB	disk0s1
  2:					   0x17						 30.0 GB	disk0s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS Speaker PATA 10.6	   31.7 GB	disk0s4
  4:					  Linux						 162.9 MB   disk0s5
  5:					  Linux						 164.5 MB   disk0s6
  6:				 Linux_Swap						 1.6 GB	 disk0s7
  7:				  Linux_LVM						 151.7 GB   disk0s8
  8:				  Apple_HFS Mac Data				104.7 GB   disk0s9

The 0x17 partition is a Windows boot partition, just "hidden" so that OS X doesn't try to mount it.

A caveat: My installations generally use GRUB Legacy or GRUB 2 as at least part of the boot process. (This one uses GRUB Legacy to chain-load to Chameleon.) The OSx86 boot loader situation strikes me as being very murky; I don't fully understand the capabilities and requirements of these boot loaders, and I think most OSx86 users are at least as confused as I am.

HI srs5694.

AHAaaaa!

Well, there you see now. THAT is a different situation altogether.

I do understand and agree that OSX partition CAN be any other than first primary, but I choose the most easiest and safest way out. That is it.

I've said so back:

I'm speaking for myself. YMMW, and few others have been able to successfully able to do it.

I DID NOT because, I prefer to keep both the Operating Systems on Physically Different Hard Disks. (check my Sig).

I've tried it a couple of times, and Windows is a PITA!

And, you are lucky, or maybe it is your need that you area Linux user. GRUB is way much functional than Windows "NTloader" 5h1t...

However/Lastly... Whenever you're trying new bootloaders for OSX, (like I'm — the AnVAL ACPI boot loader) you want to play safe.

Coz, I'm a very much experimenting fellow. I do "DO" perfect 100% of my work now on OSX (SL 10.6.3), but Windows is only for 2 particular tasks.

Backing up my Nokia 5800XM. AND PLAYING GAMEZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz!
Just don't mind the CAPs plz.. :D

Else, I will buy games, if they begin to be available for OSX, and function just like they do in Windows... buddies, nothing else! :D

Just wanted to make a point/ask one more thing though.

In the above partitioning schema.. I assume you installed Windows, then OSX, then lastly Linux (UBuntu is it?).

Then, you can have this style of OS Installations, and also NOT have OSX as first primary.

Can you guide us, on HOW did you hide the Win partition? And hide it from like showing up in the Chameleon list of bootable drives, I suppose?

Thnx for the info and c u around.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

In the above partitioning schema.. I assume you installed Windows, then OSX, then lastly Linux (UBuntu is it?).

Then, you can have this style of OS Installations, and also NOT have OSX as first primary.

If you're asking me (it's not clear), then no; it was Windows, then Linux, then OS X; however, I've gone through a couple of cycles of Linux and OS X upgrades since then. That particular system also runs Gentoo, not Ubuntu.

Can you guide us, on HOW did you hide the Win partition? And hide it from like showing up in the Chameleon list of bootable drives, I suppose?

Again, if you're addressing me, GRUB has an option to do this; you just tell it to hide or unhide particular partitions and it does so. (It adds or subtracts 0x10 from the partition type code and re-writes the relevant partition table when you select the entry with that coding.)