Is Microsoft preparing to war with Apple ?

sasza

20 posts in this topic

Hi *

It looks like MS started their usual tricks to protect market share....

I have laptop (HP NC6210) with dual boot WinXP and 10.4.7

I want to setup FAT32 partition as common for both system data partition.

Well - now strange things (for me well known issues form old OS/2 days) starts to appear:

every touch of FAT32 partition by WinXP leaves this partition in state where 10.4.7 touch cause data corruption. Only running OSX chkdsk before use allow to use this partition after XP use.

Observations are as following:

1. Running CHKDSK on this partition and next using exclusively with XP or OSX - all is OK

2. Use first under OSX and next XP - all also OK

3. Use under XP and next under OSX cause data corruption.

So conclusion is clear: when XP is touching partition - leaves it in state in which OSX can damage it.

I belive it is last, new MS "improvement" because I don't belive that in the past were here so basic FAT32 problems beetween OSX and XP.

OSX chkdsk show following:

-OSX chkdsk before XP touch:

Verifying volume “DATA”

** /dev/disk0s5

** Phase 1 - Read FAT

** Phase 2 - Check Cluster Chains

** Phase 3 - Checking Directories

** Phase 4 - Checking for Lost Files

49025 files, 2665744 free (333218 clusters)

Mounting Disk

1 non HFS volume checked

Volume passed verification

-OSX chkdsk after XP touch:

Verifying volume “DATA”

** /dev/disk0s5

** Phase 1 - Read FAT

Next free cluster in FSInfo block (15922) not free

fix? no

49025 files, 2665744 free (333218 clusters)

Mounting Disk

1 non HFS volume checked

Volume passed verification

Ech... live with sh*ty XP is so diffcult now....

BTW: Maybe I should use old versions of XP FAT32 driver ?

Maybe somebody has similar problems ?

Ok, I got a second hard drive and a 30 gig FAT 32 partition so that I can read it from Windows, Linux, OSX etc. Mine wouldn't show up till I got it under 32 gigs. Now this may be a long shot, but what is the size of the partition?

Initially indeed I was thinking that it is 32G problem. Resize with partition magic to 27G and 10G.

Problem is the same :-(

This shouldn't even be in this forum. The is clearly a malformed partition problem, otherwise most of the people including myself woud have the same problem. Maybe tone down the the topic name as it is misleading and not worth reading if it isn't a wide spread problem.

"China Announces War Against The United States

Beijing, July 14 2006

The president of China today stated that he thinks the US isnt very nice. And that Americans arent buying enough chinese stuff."

:(

Uh. Where's the "data corruption"?

Well,

Sequence is following:

-use partition under XP

-boot OSX and copy/move in/out some files

-osx chkdsk shows then:

Verifying volume “DATA”

** /dev/disk0s5

** Phase 1 - Read FAT

/Private/.. starts with cluster marked as EOF

Remove? no

Next free cluster in FSInfo block (11547) not free

fix? no

36980 files, 3590224 free (448778 clusters)

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 non HFS volume checked

Volume needs repair

This shouldn't even be in this forum. The is clearly a malformed partition problem, otherwise most of the people including myself woud have the same problem. Maybe tone down the the topic name as it is misleading and not worth reading if it isn't a wide spread problem.

Well,

Maybe should maybe not.

Infact I'm strongly surprised by this problem. It might be result of two things:

-logic errors on my HDD

-problems with FAT32 drivers in XP or OSX

First one: I was trying eliminate by checking via chkdsk - assuming that if chkdsk reporting no errors - partition has no logic errors. If You have idea for other HDD logic structure checking methods/tools fell free to advice.

Second one: with OSX is IMHO less probable. With XP is very probable. I was using in the past OS/2 during 7 years and believe me - it might be first sign of well known MS tactics to protect OS market share. Thats why post about this problem on this forum...

do this:

1. wipe the drive that FAT32 exists in.

2. reformat the drive with a 32gig or less partition, either primary or logical

The reason I said that is because it's common that something happened to the partition when used by previouse operating system. If you haven't done the 2 steps above, then there is no reason to cry wolf. Lastly, I have no idea what may go wrong with using OS X to check and correct FAT. As far as I know, Apple ported FAT system to read and write under it's OS. It is natively a Windows filesystem. Do correct me if i'm mistaken.

Yeah, from the sounds of it, Domino hit the nail on the head. I'm currently using a Fat32 partition as a bridge between my OS X and XP system, and have had no problems as of yet. :D

Moving to the appropriate forum... :D

I see no corruption here. That chkdsk error is standard microsoft BS.

do this:

[...]

2. reformat the drive with a 32gig or less partition, either primary or logical

[...]

Another example of Microsoft {censored}. FAT32 can go way beyond 32 GiB, it's just XP's FAT formater which complains.

I see no corruption here. That chkdsk error is standard microsoft BS.

Another example of Microsoft {censored}. FAT32 can go way beyond 32 GiB, it's just XP's FAT formater which complains.

And another example of a wasted mind that don't rtfm. Do you have any idea what happens when you start moving/deleting partitions with a 3rd party partition manager? If you did read the problem, it's not only chkdsk reporting the problem, OS X disk utility will give you the same when you have no idea what the implications of shuffling around and deleting partition with 3rd party partition applications.

Yes we all know that most operating systems can see 2TB of FAT32 volume but XP will only let you format up to 32GB.

edit: I have been through this problem, so yes, I know exactly why this is happening and not only OS X and Windows reports the problem, but Linux does too. There are unformatted free spaces at the front of the drive that all three OS thinks may be corruption or they are just not capable of reading those sectors. One remedy for this problem is to wipe the entire drive.

Edited by domino

Domino IS right. I took a shot and reformatted my FAT32 drive in Disk Utility and made it over 50 gigs, now OSX sees it and it is much bigger than the 30 gigs. I think if Windows formatted it, you have to put it to 32 gigs or less then make it bigger in the OS. From the white papers posted on this board (I started a thread about FAT32 drives myself) FAT32 CAN NOT be formatted during a Windows install larger than 32 gigs but a FAT32 CAN be larger than 32 and mounted/created AFTER Windows is installed. So Apple had to adhere(sp?) to those specifications.

FAT32 CAN NOT be formatted during a Windows install larger than 32 gigs but a FAT32 CAN be larger than 32 and mounted/created AFTER Windows is installed
Not true. I've installed XP on a system with a 80 GiB FAT32 formatted partition and nothing wrong happened.

I'm even using now the Disk Corrupting VIASATA OS X on a nForce 4 (killer!) and this FAT32 partition has not been damaged (of course I don't copy thousands of files to it, but edited a few files). Yes, both Windows, OS X & GNU/Linux output some errors about free clusters and such, but that's normal considering I am working with 3 different implementations of the same filesystem.

I'm even using now the Disk Corrupting VIASATA OS X on a nForce 4 (killer!) and this FAT32 partition has not been damaged (of course I don't copy thousands of files to it, but edited a few files).

Look, no one is claiming that you can not mount a 2TB FAT32 drive after windows is installed. Do read what has been posted so you don't confuse yourself. Try formatting a partition larger than 32gig during the windows installation process and see what happens.

If you still disagree, end this useless conversion by posting links to credible fact.

Look, no one is claiming that you can not mount a 2TB FAT32 drive after windows is installed. Do read what has been posted so you don't confuse yourself. Try formatting a partition larger than 32gig during the windows installation process and see what happens.
I apologize, you're right here.