i5 750 - need a green light for this hardware list!

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone and thank you for answering my questions in the "help me with my setup" post.

I decided to get going and start the project now. I will ask further questions here and I will log my progress so that this post may become a reference for people building a similar machine.

First of all, let's start with the system specs:

• MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 - 159€
  • CPU: Intel i5 750 4x2,67 GHz - 174€
  • GPU: Asus EAH 4870/2DI - 143€ (2xDVI; seems to be as fast as a GTX275 while being cheaper than a GTX260; quiet)
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB CL7 - 225€ (yeah, expensive, but very much and fast RAM)
  • HDD: WesterDigital WD6401AALS 640GB Black Caviar Series - 58€ (good and cheap, long warranty)
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R2 Black or Titanium - 90€ (very quiet and beautiful case, good cooling)
  • PSU: Fractal Design Newton R2 650W - 110€ (again very quiet; and efficient)
  • Drive: LG CH8LS10 BlueRay-Reader/DVD-Burner Combo - 80€ (couldn't resist having a BlueRay Drive, especially when it's that cheap)
  • CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus - 25€ (quiet and cool, with PWM)

That's a total of 1064€.

Before I order, can you please give me a green light on this system? I am especially unsure about that BlueRay Reader though..

Regards, cgXR

That looks fine. It's supposed to be harder installing OS X with an ATI card, but I didn't have any issues (though I did install with an 8800 GT and then swap it out for an HD 4890). I'd definitely check out TonyMac if you're going to be using the P55 board – they've got a lot of good information there.

I believe the Blu-ray drive will work, you just won't be able to actually watch Blu-ray movies under OS X.

you just won't be able to actually watch Blu-ray movies under OS X

Why is that so?

That would be a shame! How about using VMware then to watch BlueRay movies "under Mac OS" ?

Do you have some information resources on the ATI cards for me?

Thanks for your answer!

Why is that so?

That would be a shame! How about using VMware then to watch BlueRay movies "under Mac OS" ?

Do you have some information resources on the ATI cards for me?

Thanks for your answer!

It's pretty simply why. Apple doesn't support Blu-ray.

You could, though I wouldn't. I'd use MakeMKV to rip them and then watch them with VLC.

Sorry, not really. Using Kakewalk there was an ATI program for my card to work, though like I said, I didn't have my HD 4890 installed during installation.

I just ordered the hardware =)

I'm so looking forward! Let's hope that everything works out fine and that I'll get that graphics card baby working.

Many thanks for all that kind support so far!!!

Sooooo... the packages came today. Everything was fine and building the computer was really fun.

BUT now that I'm trying to install Snow Leopard I' running into problems.

I decided to use tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Method. So I set up the BIOS absolutely correctly, plugged in only 4 GB of RAM an booted from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ATI. So far so good, next step I insert SL DVD and press enter, a lot of verbose text appears, and then it suddenly stops. Nothing happens anymore. And when I boot in safe mode (-x) it's exactly the same

The last line on the screen is: com_chucko_RealtekR1000: Ethernet address ..blah blah.. Shot a photo so you guys can see what happens.

What is wrong here? PLEASE help! Every hint is appreciated =)

Oh and, forgive me for that mediocre english... I'm kinda tired right now.

post-616229-1274302633_thumb.jpg

Sooooo... the packages came today. Everything was fine and building the computer was really fun.

BUT now that I'm trying to install Snow Leopard I' running into problems.

I decided to use tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Method. So I set up the BIOS absolutely correctly, plugged in only 4 GB of RAM an booted from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ATI. So far so good, next step I insert SL DVD and press enter, a lot of verbose text appears, and then it suddenly stops. Nothing happens anymore. And when I boot in safe mode (-x) it's exactly the same

The last line on the screen is: com_chucko_RealtekR1000: Ethernet address ..blah blah.. Shot a photo so you guys can see what happens.

What is wrong here? PLEASE help! Every hint is appreciated =)

Oh and, forgive me for that mediocre english... I'm kinda tired right now.

How long are you waiting before rebooting? double check that HPET SUPPORT is ENABLED and in 64-BIT MODE under power management. it will take a minute to start up the first time. double check your BIOS and try again. Wait at LEAST 3-4 minutes before giving up and rebooting.

Yeah, I waited like 10 minutes... nothing happens

What I tried:

BIOS settings: set first Boot to CDROM, enabled HPET Mode @64bit, Changed PCH SATA Control Mode and eSATA Control Mode to AHCI, disabled GSATA Controller, disabled Onboard Serial Port and Parallel Port. I even diabled Firewire and onboard LAN, just to be sure.

Put GFX in upper and lower PCI-e slot and plugged display into both DVI ports. I also tried out another display.

What I'm doing now, I removed an old standart IDE DVD Drive from an old computer and plugged this into the new machine. (The LG BlueRay Drive is SATA Controlled) What happens is I get the still waiting for root device notification. I played around with jumper settings and connected it to both ports on the cable. The motherboard has only one IDE port, so I'm using the right one. My DVD drive appears in BIOS at IDE Channel 4 Master.

I'm really frustrated now, I wanna at least see that Mac OS Install screen, pleeeaaase!

At moderators; maybe rename and move this topic to installation subforum?!

Please, what could I possibly be doing wrong here? I mean, it's a Gigabyte mobo, nothing exotic and many people use that kind of configuration. Could it possibly have something to do with the graphics card? Have a look at post 1 for the system specs.

Regards, cgXR

UPDATE:

I got the Install DVD booted with the all new [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported. THANK YOU TONYMAC!!!