10.4.6 Error

Shadowstriker

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for the solution to my problem for quite some time now and quite frankly im stumped.

I downloaded Mac OS X 10.4.6, and i can install it fine and everything.

And first i for the b0 error but i fixed that using the Windows 98 fdisk.

But when Mac is loading up, i have the grey/silver apple and the loading circle, but then quickly at the stem part of the apple i have a circle appear with a line through it. And no matter what I do I can't get past that screen.

I am running a Dell Inspirion 9200 Laptop. With an ATI Radeon 9700 mobile GPU, Intel Pentium M processor at 1.8 Ghz, 512 mb of RAM.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

yess

i fixed it

it still didnt work when i applied the patch

but after the installation

i had to go back into the installation dvd guide

and go to terminal

and write

cp /mach_kernel /volumes/MacOS\ X\ 10.4.6

and then let it load and it worked =)

thanks for your help.

I get the same error on booting and I checked for the message booting in verbose mode, it was an error about IOATAController device blocking bus. I have an Intel P4 3.0 GHZ on Intel 865GL motherboard. Do I have to change the cable for my Combo drive and how do I install the patch, I have the patched DVD that I am using for the install.

PS I tried using the same dvd on my friends pc and it boots without any problem. We have same processor though so I think it's my dvd drive or the way dvd drive is connected. Help is appreciated.

i searched the forums and i found this helpful guide and its where i discovered my problem.

It was written by Swif.

'Everyone seems to be having a number of problems when it comes to installing Mac OS X 10.4.6 on their Intel computers (you may be discovering these problems for other versions; 10.4.X). I hope this guide will be all-encompassing for every problem people are discovering -- I've encountered most every problem.STEP ONE: Obtain a Mac OS X 10.4.6 JaS DVD image (usually found on a torrent search engine... I used demonoid.com)STEP TWO: Burn this image to a DVD+/-RSTEP THREE: Boot from the DVD and run the installer. Continue through options until you are shown a start-bar type bar at the top of the screen that includes the word 'Utilities'. Click 'Utilities', then 'Disk Utility'. Remove all partitions and reformat your hard drive with your HFS+ filesystem, along with a partition named whatever you want. I used 'OSX10-4-6' without the quotes, but as long as you REMEMBER what you typed, you'll be fine. When you're finished partitioning, close the Disk Utility and continue on with the installation. >> What your problem could have been: If you don't make the OS X partition a primary (and first) partition on the system, it can be difficult to set it to boot with this partition.STEP FOUR: When you are prompted to actually install OS X, do not click the 'Install' button. Instead, click 'Customize'. Check the very bottom option, which includes 'SS#' patches, where # is 2, 3, etc. The description mentions patches for Intel and AMD systems. This is important. >> What your problem could have been: People who don't install these patches during install will experience the boot screen with the light gray background, gray Apple logo and what has been dubbed 'the spinny thing'. Eventually you'll see a circle with a slash through it which is universal for 'stop' or 'cancel', and you cannot go any further.STEP FIVE: Finish installing OS X and reboot, KEEPING YOUR OS X INSTALL DVD INSIDE THE COMPUTER. When you boot from the DVD again, wait for that start-bar type bar at the top of the screen, go to 'Utilities', then 'Terminal'. At the prompt, type the following, without quotes: 'cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/OSX10-4-6/'. Notice that I used 'OSX10-4-6' because this is what I named my partition. If you named your partition something with spaces, this is fine, but you would need to format the command as follows; let's say I named my partition 'Mac OS X 10.4.6'. The command would change to: 'cp /mach_kernel /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.4.6/'. Notice the backslash ( \ ) before every space. This is used in terminal to escape the space character and let the computer know that it is part of the name of the partition, not a break in arguments for the cp command. >> What your problem could have been: Usually people would understand or find out that they weren't installing the Intel patches during installation, and select this option when using 'Customize'. The problem was, for some reason the OS X installer would not use the correct Intel kernel, which is a HUGE problem. The system would start to load all of the HFS+ files (you would just see a lot of text on a black background scrolling very fast), and then the system would reboot and start all over. This copies the correct kernel to the partition and fixes the problem.STEP SIX: Lastly, download some sort of Live Linux boot CD and burn it. It's not hard to find out how. Make sure you have fdisk available from the terminal of the boot CD. Most people that have been troubleshooting are very competent and know how to get fdisk. When you boot from this CD or Floppy, run fdisk on your hard drive like this: 'fdisk /dev/hda', obviously without quotes. Type 'p' and press enter, listing the partitions on the hard disk. When you have the number (listed to the left of each partition) of the Mac OS X partition, type 'a', press enter, and then type the number of the partition in question, press enter, and then type 'p' and press enter again to make sure you see an asterisk ( * ) next to the partition in question. This means that the partition is now bootable. Reboot and enjoy your Mac OS X, with no troubleshooting! >> What your problem could have been: When booting, you get nothing but 'b0 error'. This is just Mac OS X telling you in its own confusing way that the partition is not set to 'active', or 'bootable'.-----------------If anyone has any questions, you can obviously post in the forum or e-mail me at: alex.arsenault AT gmail DOT com. Hopefully this solves any problems all these poor users keep asking that had the same problems as I did. Everyone helped out a little bit, but I just concatenated it all into one big tutorial. Props really go to everyone else in these forums, who know what they're doing. I didn't figure it ALL out on my own.Good luck!Alex Arsenault (swif)'

• 2 weeks later...

so according to this guide, the only way to get 10.4.6 working on an intel computer is to do a complete format of the harddrive and erase the whole windows xp along with all files??!!

Is this really true? Has not ANYONE gotten the dual boot to work with an intel processor?? :idea:

Shadowstriker, I tried to install osx86 10.4.6 step by step, doing as ure guide told me to (including installing the drivers that was under customize). But uhm, after step 5 when I'm trying to boot the installdvd again, the silvergrey loadingscreen comes up as before (when loading teh install files and preparing for install.) When that screen dissappears the lightblue background appears and the dvd stops loading (this is where the languagedialog should appear, but it never does.) And this is where the DVD stops loading, and I'm getting no further.

If i dont do step 6 and the last step where I use linux to set the partition as A-partition I wont ever be able to boot osx86. :D

So...

What to do?

so according to this guide, the only way to get 10.4.6 working on an intel computer is to do a complete format of the harddrive and erase the whole windows xp along with all files??!!

Is this really true? Has not ANYONE gotten the dual boot to work with an intel processor?? :blink:

I don't believe I ever said that the only way to get OS X to work on an Intel PC was to completely reformat the hard drive. It's what I ended up doing because I don't really care for dual booting. I know for a fact (I've seen them) that there are a number of great dual boot tutorials on this forum -- do a search?

Again, if anyone has questions about my guide, please feel free to e-mail me at: alex.arsenault@gmail.com

Alex Arsenault (swif)

It's impossible for me to get osx86 working. :blink: Did all the guide told me but it just wont work, i installed the drivers, copied the kernel and set it to a-partition. Just wont work. :( And im not even running any else OS than osx86 on the computer im trying on.

All i ever get is b0 error.

Ugh.

Go into bios and disable Legacy USB. If you don't have an option for that, reinstall WITHOUT installing the VIA SATA drivers. Then take the IOUSBFamil.kext file from 10.4.3 and copy to your installation (once you're up and running) to get USB working.

If that doesn't work, type -v for verbose mode on startup (when it lets you enter boot options), and tell us what the problem is.