IDE (DMA?) problem

nuevo9

2 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm running iPC 10.5.6 (upgraded to 10.5.8) with a nforce4m-a (v3.0) motherboard. My two main drives are sata and working well, but I'm trying to add in another drive (or two) via the IDE connectors (of which I've got two). The problem I'm having is that I can't get the IDE drive to work (I'm plugging it into the primary IDE) without unplugging the optical drive from the secondary IDE connector. It just gives me a warning on start up about how the drive can't be recognized. The drive works fine as soon as I disconnect the optical.

I don't seem to get the problem when logging into windows, though. So do you think this is a ultra DMA issue? I'm at a dead end via google/friends, so I ask for your kind help.

Anybody that can help me with this is deserving of a few quid via paypal for a drink or two!

Hi guys,

I'm running iPC 10.5.6 (upgraded to 10.5.8) with a nforce4m-a (v3.0) motherboard. My two main drives are sata and working well, but I'm trying to add in another drive (or two) via the IDE connectors (of which I've got two). The problem I'm having is that I can't get the IDE drive to work (I'm plugging it into the primary IDE) without unplugging the optical drive from the secondary IDE connector. It just gives me a warning on start up about how the drive can't be recognized. The drive works fine as soon as I disconnect the optical.

I don't seem to get the problem when logging into windows, though. So do you think this is a ultra DMA issue? I'm at a dead end via google/friends, so I ask for your kind help.

Anybody that can help me with this is deserving of a few quid via paypal for a drink or two!

Some ideas:

Bad drive?

Jumper settings?

bios settings?

Is the drive initialized properly?

What does System Profiler say?

Are there some specific chipset issues (search the forum for your board)?

Have you a windows installation on the same machine?

Bootloader?

As I dont have your motherboard, but plenty of running IDE drives under 10.5.8, these kind of question often solved unexplainable problems.