Snow Leopard Boot Issue (Maybe Chameleon Related)

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Man have I made a lot of problem threads lately. Anyways here is my problem:

I recently installed both chameleon and the voodoops2. When I restarted I got the error saying that I had to restart, which didn't go away after restarting.

I installed macdrive on my windows 7 partition so I could access the snow leopard partition. I deleted the voodoops2 kext and the voodoops2 folder, which did not help. I also booted mac into safe mode and installed Chameleon rc4 manually, which allowed chameleon to work. Before I had used the Chameleon installer to use it, which:

1) caused the problem I think

2) did not work

I'm not sure how to fix this problem. I was trying to find the chameleon files, so I could uninstall it. Any help?

Hey guys. Man have I made a lot of problem threads lately. Anyways here is my problem:

I recently installed both chameleon and the voodoops2. When I restarted I got the error saying that I had to restart, which didn't go away after restarting.

I installed macdrive on my windows 7 partition so I could access the snow leopard partition. I deleted the voodoops2 kext and the voodoops2 folder, which did not help. I also booted mac into safe mode and installed Chameleon rc4 manually, which allowed chameleon to work. Before I had used the Chameleon installer to use it, which:

1) caused the problem I think

2) did not work

I'm not sure how to fix this problem. I was trying to find the chameleon files, so I could uninstall it. Any help?

Unfortunately, there is no installer package for any Chameleon build that support Snow Leopard but if you follow the instructions carefully, it'll be easy. Download the Chameleon RC2 Package. Now, download Chameleon RC4. Install the RC2 package to your Snow Leopard Partition. Now, open up the RC4 folder (you may have to unzip it first) and follow the instructions in the doc folder to install (make sure in Terminal you cd into the i386 directory). Be sure you're installing to the correct drive and partition (you can use Disk Utility and right click on your Snow Leopard partition to find out what drive and partition to install to. ex. disk0s2).

Hope this helps!

Well, I already installed chameleon rc4 using the manual terminal method. I had also installed voodoops2 but I removed the kext and installed file because I thought it may have been the problem. That is why I think chameleon installer installed something where it shouldn't be.

Well, I already installed chameleon rc4 using the manual terminal method. I had also installed voodoops2 but I removed the kext and installed file because I thought it may have been the problem. That is why I think chameleon installer installed something where it shouldn't be.

Did you boot with -f ?

Would that be the alt+f at boot? I still am not sure whether it's alt or windows key that does that. If not, how do I boot with -f flag?

If you're using Chameleon, when you have your Snow Leopard partition or HD selected, type -f (you should see it come up on the bottom left) and then press enter.

I tried the -f flag, and later the -v flag and -f flag (I read somewhere that -v is the verbose mode that shows what the error is), but both toms the screen would get stuck on the loading apple.

I just booted with the -v flag, and it showed that there was some kernel panic for:

"CPU 1 has no HPET assigned to it"@/SourceCache/AppelIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUManagement-90/pmthread.c:164

I'm not quite sure what it means, but I don't remember fiddling with anything like that.

Update: I reinstalled osx, but for some reason it boots when I use the chameleon boot disk, but it gives me the previous error when I use the normal chameleon.

You're probably not installing Chameleon right. Make sure you follow the RC4 instructions included with the release VERY carefully and replace the disk numbers they use with the ones that make sense for your system.

I did, at first I accidently used the wrong disk number for osx (I accidently input my windows disk) and it completely screwed things up. I had to rebuild the windows boot sector, but it works now and I followed the instructions.

UPDATE: Fixed the dsdt and the problem went away.

Although others will say differently, in my experience the only way to get the whole thing correctly and easily is to have separate drives for each OS. I have Snow, Leo and W7 on 3 separate drives. With the price of HDDs these days it's a no-brainer if you've got the space. Of course, if you're on a laptop, then it's a different story!