No 'Shared' Items Showing in Finder Sidebar

imacken

10 posts in this topic

I don't see any 'Shared items', e.g. Back to my Mac, or Connected Servers, showing in Finder sidebar even though I have them ticked in Preferences.

Any ideas?

I've got the same issue now, since the last airport update(the one after 10.6.3) I think it's more Apple related than Hackintosh related because my real macs(imac and macbook pro) have the same problem.I have a temporary solution that seems to work for the windows shares.First in Finder Preferences,in the General tab check the show connected servers on desktop box.Then mount the servers using the menubar Go method (like we discussed before).Next open login items and drag the mounted shares into there.then you can uncheck the show connected severs box.This is not a good permanent solution but it saves having to login to a bunch of shares all the time.At least for me it would mean logging in to 2 windows home servers,2 windows 7 pcs,and an imac manually after each startup

Edit: I got everything showing back up on there own,just reset my wireless router(unplug it for 30 seconds) first making sure everything on the network was turned on and awake

Thanks again. I'll try that later.

Will that work for 'Back to my Mac' do you think?

Is this not a Bonjour thing? How do we know Bonjour is working OK on hacks?

As an aside, there is no sign of Bonjour listed in Services in Activity Monitor.

Thanks again. I'll try that later.

Will that work for 'Back to my Mac' do you think?

Is this not a Bonjour thing? How do we know Bonjour is working OK on hacks?

As an aside, there is no sign of Bonjour listed in Services in Activity Monitor.

I think the easiest way to tell if Bonjour is working is if shared itunes libraries from other computers show up it itunes or if u can scan and find network printers. On my macbook pro there is no Bonjour in Activity Monitor even with itunes on and accessing a shared library,so i think it might be part of something else maybe Airport Base Station Agent(just a guess).I've never used Back to my Mac but I'll try it later tonight and see if I can get it working

OK, I can see other computers iTunes shared libraries. So, you think that Bonjour is working OK? What could be causing the lack of 'Sharing' options appearing in Finder then?

BTW, OT I know, but can you help at all with my question in

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216182

No-one has replied, and I'm sure there is an easy answer!

OK, I can see other computers iTunes shared libraries. So, you think that Bonjour is working OK? What could be causing the lack of 'Sharing' options appearing in Finder then?

BTW, OT I know, but can you help at all with my question in

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216182

No-one has replied, and I'm sure there is an easy answer!

Yes I think that Bonjour is working.Did you try resetting your router?If so I think the next place to look is at the other computers,are they all windows or a mix of osx and windows?Naming the windows network simply"WORKGROUP"seems to work best for me(usually have 6 wired and a couple of wireless connections going)So i would check each pc and make sure they all have the same workgroup name,also if they are Windows 7 they should be set to Home Network not Public.On other macs and on yours make sure file sharing is on,I noticed after one of the updates it had been turned off.Hope this helps, on your other issue I have no real experience if I was to guess at a starting point I would go with something speedstep related

To all of you having problems with "Shared" in finder windows:

Browse to "/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences and delete "com.apple.sidebarlists.plist". Then shutdown your pc/laptop (don't just restart). Your sidebar will be showing your shared resources just fine. Just restarting my laptop for no apparent reason does not do the trick. Only shutdown and reboot works. No need to delete com.apple.finder.plist as pointed out in some websites.

Hope that helped.

Maxwell

Thanks again.

Did you get a chance to try 'Back to my Mac'?.

Yes I got it setup this morning.I set it up to connect to my imac from work.The first time I tried Mobile me told me the router didn't support UPnp so I went on to our other network and the imac showed up in Finder right away.I'm pretty impressed although using screen sharing on my AcerOne makes things a little small but speed and mouse control is very fast.File sharing works great too.Hopefully we can get it working for you soon

• 4 years later...

Deleting com.apple.sidebarlists.plist didn't fix my issue. I then checked for com.apple.finder.plist and found 2 additional corrupted versions. I deleted all 3, shut down my computer. After restart, everything working perfectly.