Quick and Dirty Snow Leopard (10.6.3) on ThinkPad T500

47 posts in this topic

I've helped my mate to install OSX on his T500 and I wanted to share some info for the ones interested. We've got a pretty good working system, except for the video (GMA 4500). But it will work fine for iPhone development or something else. And if you have T500 with ATI, then it can be absolutely perfect.

We had T500 with 1280x800 resolution and Intel GMA 4500 video, 2GHz CPU, 2GB RAM. Everything else is pretty standard I think. We got the following result:

• Video works with native resolution, no QE/CI though.
  • Sound works great with internal microphone via VoodooHDA. Audio hotkeys function properly.
  • SpeedStep works, but no C-states (I was too lazy to make it work).
  • Ethernet works with custom kext.
  • Wireless doesn't work, since it is Intel. But it can be upgraded to Atheros, of course.
  • Sleep doesn't work, because video driver cannot shut the display off.
  • Firewire works out of the box.

To install, follow any available starter guide, for example this one. When you reach Phase 2, install AsereBLN booter instead of Chameleon and then copy attached /Extra folder archive to the root of your new OSX drive.

You then should be able to boot to OSX and finish installation. After this you need to download latest update (10.6.3 at the time of writing) and reboot. After you reboot, run the following command from Terminal:

sudo -s
/Extra/pfix -t /

Once pfix finished working (it might take a while), reboot and you're done!

Here the /Extra arhive: ThinkPad_T500_SnowLeo_Extra.zip

Inside you'll find prepared SMBIOS.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist, already patched DSDT with a lot of fixes and the following kexts inside Extensions folder: AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, FakeSMC.kext, Intel82566MM.kext, LegacyT500.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext. /System/Library/Extensions is kept 100% vanilla!

If you have higher screen resolution, edit com.apple.Boot.plist (you might need to look for patched kext as well). If you have ATI video, look for solutions on the Web, plenty should be around.

For more advanced tutorial check my DSDT guide.

I am looking to buy a new T510 or T410 for my dad pretty soon. Which hardware options do you recommend?

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f...30&p=568625

Any i5 CPU should be fine.

Definitely need NVIDIA option. If you select it, you get switchable graphics automatically (Intel HD Video is sort of inlcluded with new i-core CPUs). That NVIDIA chip is not supported by OSX though, but might be in the future.

For wireless don't select anything by Intel, and it should work in OSX (but might not).

Everything else - up to you. I would personally go with T410, T510 is too big.

"To install, follow any available starter guide, for example this one"

is broken, can you fix it?

Also, if the link isn't to a usb (no existing leopard) guide, how would you modify say this guide to work with your instructions.

Well, I think InsanelyMac somehow changes links to external sites, so you can google with the following keyword for the original linked guide: how-to-install-snow-leopard-10a432-on-pc-hackintosh

The linked guide explains how to install SnowLeo on a USB drive or another partition from Leopard. What you need to achieve before applying attached /Extra archive is the following:

1. Install vanilla Snow Leopard on a partition or a USB drive that you can boot later from.

2. Install AsereBLN booter on that drive/parition. For this you can follow the same instructions as for installing Chameleon in the URL you provided (AsereBLN = patched Chameleon RC4).

Once you have the drive with vanilla 10.6 and AsereBLN booter you can copy /Extra folder from my archive and then use pfix as descibed. After that you can try to boot from that drive.

Thanks for getting back to me I appreciate the help in getting this going.

Well, I gave it a go yesterday and my first attempt ended in failure. I get a kernel panic in com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000 when trying to boot into the installer. Can you a quick take a look at what I did and tell me if I'm way off base or just need to tweek my kext's a bit to get this working.

Also, is it just me or does the search feature not work very well on this forum? I get various errors the majority of the time, and when it doesn't error it returns no results (even when searching for something like 'Dell' which I know is in 100's of posts).

Here is what I have and did.

Lenovo T500 – Win 7 Pro Installed

CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8800 2.66 GHz

Motherboard: Lenovo 2018CTO

Intel GM 45/47

Intel 82801M (ICH9-M)

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3650

Trying to install on unformatted MBR partition

Used information from these guides in addition to this one:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-snow-leopard-for-osx86

1) Prepare USB on MAC Snow Leopard

a. Restore Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.1 to USB

b. Download Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9.zip and unzip in /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/

c. Download ThinkPad_T500_SnowLeo_Extra.zip and unzip in /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/

d. Download OSInstall_SLeo.zip and unzip in /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/

e. Install AsereBLN_v1.1.9 boot loader

i. cd /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9

ii. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk4

iii. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk4s2

iv. cd /Volume/OSX86

v. sudo cp /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Booter_AsereBLN_1.1.9/boot .

f. Install patched OSInstall for MBR

i. cd /Volumes/OSX86/System/Installation/Packages

ii. sudo cp /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/OSInstall/OSInstall.mkpg .

iii. cd /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

iv. sudo cp /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/OSInstall/OSInstall .

g. Install Extra folder

i. cd /Volume/OSX86

ii. sudo cp –r cp /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Extra .

iii. cd /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Extra

iv. ./pfix –t /Volumes/OSX86

2) Boot laptop from USB

See link for screen shots of log trace.

There are some logs before the kernel panic that I was wondering if I should be concerned about.

In the first pic:

Is the second line: "USBF: ... start unable to initialize UIM

Next there are several lines with kext errors

In the second picture (similar point in a different run)

The last line (which doesn't appear consitantly on all runs): BootCache: hit rate below threshold (6 bits on 2639 lookups)

And finally the third picture which has the kernel panic.

Thanks again.

Well, the KP you get is down to your video. I have installed OSX on T500 with Intel video, and that's the main difference.

Usually you don't worry other errors in your log if you have a KP down the line. Errors can be fought later, when you manage to boot OSX. For example, VoodooHDA errors are due to not properly generated kext caches (need to run pfix once booted to OS).

Now, the easiest way to try to boot to OS is to move ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /S/L/E someplace else and then try to boot again.

To enable your ATI, you need to try a number of solutions. The first to try - use GraphicsEnabler=yes in your com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>yes</string>

This usually works pretty well with NVIDIA cards, but you might give it a try with your ATI with AsereBLN. If this fails, you might try PCI EFI booter from netkas (http://netkas.org), his booter is tweaked for ATI. Before yor try, you need to bring back ATIRadeonX2000.kext.

Well I've made one small step forward.

I added -x to my boot options and that got the installer to load.

I then used diskutility to format an empty MBR partition from win 7 to be MAC OS Extended (Journal).

I then kicked off the install and after about 30 min up popped the log in this link. (I'll also get same log if I try to boot of install usb with start disk utility).

If I reboot usb again and use the start disk utility I can only see the usb install disk. However, if I launch terminal I can see and navigate around the install Volume and programs like vi are functional there. But I noticed there are no Users set up (install didn't get far enough I guess).

What's kind of frustrating is that the usb Volume is marked read-only only. I've been going over to a friends house who has a Mac to make updates to the usb and was hoping once I got a little farther into this I could make updates without a Mac. (Slow process to have to co-ordinate time on friends Mac).

Anyway any thoughts on the install issue. Should I have skipped the -x option and tried to fix the kernel panic instead?

Thanks

Anyway any thoughts on the install issue. Should I have skipped the -x option and tried to fix the kernel panic instead?

Well, this all sounds very strange. But there are a couple of things you can try.

1) Get yourself external HDD and go to your mate's and install OSX from OSX. So, you don't prepare installation USB, but install directly to an external HDD. Once the install completed, copy /Extra archive and install proper booter as described above. If you still fail to boot, try to move problematic ATI kext from /S/L/E someplace else.

2) Try to prepare completely fresh installation using myHack installer: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/

Played with this a bit more today. Acutally got the installer to run all the way through, however when it went to reboot it failed.

So my question now is how can I get it to boot off the hd, instead of always re-running the installer. I would have thought that once the install completes I should have the install drive as an option in the start disk utility, but it still only gives me the usb drive as an option. Is this what you'd expect?

Also, when I'd tried another guide earlier I would go to a page that asked what disk I wanted to boot before I got to the installer. With this method I always go straight into the installer. Do you know how I might get the disk selection page to show up?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Update:

I now have OSX 10.6.3 running on my T500 dual booting (Win 7) off a USB drive. Debating whether to try and work on getting it to dual boot without the USB.

Issues:

1. Graphics card is not explicitly supported. However, it works pretty well in default mode.

2. Sleep doesn't work. I think this might be related to my graphics card.

3. Wireless doesn't work.

4. Built in camera sort of working. Works with Photo Booth, but not iChat.

Vanilla issues are: (Silencers any thoughts ?????)

1. I need to put some kexts (Intell82566MM.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, VoodooHDA.prefane) in S/L/E to get them to work, instead of having everything in E/E. This appears to be a dependency loading issue.

2. I couldn't get the plist override in LegacyT500.kext IOKitPersonalities to work with ATIRadeonX2000.kext. So I need to manually turn off that kext.

Here is my system and what I did:

Intel GM 45/47

Intel 82801M (ICH9-M)

Dev Id: 9591

Sound: Conexant 20561

Dev Id: 14F1 5051

Network: Intel 82567LM

Wireless: Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN

Installed on MBR partition

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...opard-for-osx86

1) Format a FAT32 partition to install OSX in Windows 7 (I made mine 50 gig)

2) Prepare USB on MAC Snow Leopard

a. Restore Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 to USB

b. Download Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin and unzip in /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/ (I think Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9 should also work)

c. Download ThinkPad_T500_SnowLeo_Extra.zip and unzip in /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/

e. Install Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin boot loader (make sure to use correct disk number, see guides for explanation)

i. cd /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386

iv. cd /Volume/OSX86

v. sudo cp /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386/boot .

iii. cd /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/

g. Install Extra folder

i. cd /Volume/OSX86

iii. cd /Volume/OSX86/Extra

iv. edit com.apple.Boot.plist

a. add

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

b. change

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

e. Remove problematic ATIRadeonX2000.kext

i. cd /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

ii. sudo mv ATIRadeonX2000.kext ATIRadeonX2000.kext.off

f. Refresh kext cache

i. cd /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Extra

ii. sudo -s

iii. ./pfix –t /Volumes/OSX86

3) Boot laptop from USB and install OSX86

a. Open DiskUtility and reformat OSX Fat32 partition to Mac OS Extended (Journal)

b. Follow installation instructions

c. Reboot off USB

4) Now hopefully you have a fairly funtioning OSX 10.6 install.

a. If your ethernet is not working

i. move Intel85566MM.kext from USB E/E to install S/L/E.

ii. use pfix to rebuild kext caches on both USB and install volumes

iii. Reboot

5) Upgrade to 10.6.3

a. Download MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.3.pkg from Apple site (don't use Upgrade feature of OSX)

b. Reboot in safe mode (-x).

c. Install MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.3.pkg

d. Remove problematic ATIRadeonX2000.kext (see above)

e. use pfix to rebuild kext caches on install volume

f. Reboot

6) Fix various issues

a. Get track pad and joy stick working

i. Download latest VoodooPS2Controller_ThinkPad_i386_x64.zip

ii. Replace old VoodooPS2Controller.kext in USB E/E with this one.

b. Get sound working

i. Download latest VoodooHDA.kext and VoodooHDA.prefane for Conexant 20561

ii. Put in install S/L/E

c. Improve graphics

i. Download latest Framebuffer_Disabler.kext

ii. Put in USB E/E

d. Fix hot CPU

i. Download latest NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

ii. Put in USB E/E

e. use pfix to rebuild kext caches on both USB and install volumes

f. Reboot

kbosselman, great to see you have progress.

Regarding your issue:

1. Full video won't be supported, unless you have ATI (which also might be doubtful, requires a lot of work). RadeonHD.kext might work, but you need to dig deeper, I don't know much about X2000 family.

2. That is correct, Sleep wont' work because of missing full video support.

3. Intel Wi-Fi won't work, if you want - you can ebay Atheros-based wi-fi card.

4. Also a well known problem, not much can be done about it.

Vanilla issues:

1. All kexts, that work only after putting them to /S/L/E will also work from /E/E, but only after you run pfix to regenerate kext caches. Can be annoying, because you need to do it after every update and/or installations of software that installs stuff to /S/L/E. But I prefer to keep all my custom kexts in the same place, so if something stops working, I run pfix and reboot again.

2. So, you do have ATI. That's better news for you, there's good chance you might see the full video support. Check RadeonHD.kext here. But read the full thread first, it is important.

Regarding the rest of your actions:

- Make sure you change Chameleon RC4 for AsereBLN. That is essential for many things if you're using my Extra pack.

- GraphicsEnabler option doesn't work for you, disable it and try to bring X2000.kext back.

- FramebuffersDisabler wont' help you get better graphics. Only use it if you have problems.

- Hot CPU fix with NullCPUPowerManagement is kinda old news, because it disables vanilla SpeedStep. You should have vanilla SpeedStep if you use my /Extra and AsereBLN. To check it, you need to try MSR Tools and see if CPU frequency is changing under load and goes down when there's no load.

Other than that - good work. Not bad for the first time. Now dig deeper and polish everything. I suggest you to read my other guide, that is linked to the first post.

Silencers,

I switched back to using to AsereBLN and things seem to be working OK. I'll play around with the other stuff later.

However, I've moved on to a different issue I hope you might be able to give me some insight into. After my success with my laptop I decided to give my Dell XPS 631i Desktop a go.

I'm currently stuck by the fact that the installer doesn't recognize my HD's. They show up in the AsereBLB boot menu, but not in DiskUtility when I get to the installer. I think the core issue is that my BIOS Phoenix 1.0.13 doesn't allow me to set SATA to AHCI, it only has one option [AUTOMATIC].

I've spent the last couple days surfing the web and found quite a few reports of similar issues but no solutions :(. I've tried using some patched IOATAFamiliy.kext and AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext but that didn't work. Is it possible to set the AHCI option using the dsdt? Or some other kexts? Or am stuck trying to patch my BIOS to set that option?

Thanks

Message sent from my T500 H(M)ac

I'm currently stuck by the fact that the installer doesn't recognize my HD's. They show up in the AsereBLB boot menu, but not in DiskUtility when I get to the installer. I think the core issue is that my BIOS Phoenix 1.0.13 doesn't allow me to set SATA to AHCI, it only has one option [AUTOMATIC].

That is very weird, I'm not even sure what to suggest here. Maybe look into updating BIOS version to something newer (if available).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi!

I got it to run using this guide, thanks for that. If i use the ATI graphics i get a kernel panic on startup - but if i switch to integrated graphics, it boots.

My Problem however is, that neither the trackpoint nor the touchpad mouse works. In Leopard it works well.

Can someone tell me how to get it to work? which kext is responsible for the trackpoint? can i copy it from leopard to snowleopard?

Thanks!

Hi!

I got it to run using this guide, thanks for that. If i use the ATI graphics i get a kernel panic on startup - but if i switch to integrated graphics, it boots.

My Problem however is, that neither the trackpoint nor the touchpad mouse works. In Leopard it works well.

Can someone tell me how to get it to work? which kext is responsible for the trackpoint? can i copy it from leopard to snowleopard?

Thanks!

You can find Thinkpad keyboard/trackpoint kext (driver) here.

Hey I tried installing OSX on my T500 1 year ago, complete failure but I thought I would try again.

Thanks for the little tut here, but I have 1 question right now. Can I use any 10.6.3 copy (that you may find on 'websites') or is there a specific release i need? I found a 10.6.2 , its for PC, im not really up to date on all the iAtkos and iPC and all those groups so I dont know if I need a specific one or just any will do.

Thanks, also I have ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, will I be able to use 1680 x 1080 or close resolution?

This was the info posted on the DL.

Quote:
INFORMATION

The new version of the assembly for single-layer DVD, which is built on the basis of Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 + Update 10.6.2 + Safari 4.04. An assembly can be installed on GUID, and at the MBR. In the assembly immediately included Russian localization.

From the assembly removed all packages with drivers for printers, AdditionalSpeechVoices, other languages.

The contents of the folder Customise
- PC EFI 9.4 – boot-9-4 by Netkas
or choice
- PC EFI 10.5 – Chameleon 2 RC3 (r658) + PC EFI 10.5 by Netkas
- NullCPUPM – blocker (disabler) for IntelCPUPowerManagement
- PlatformUUID – Error 35 fix
- FakeSMC
- IOATA Kernel Panic fix – 32/64-bit IOATAFamily.kext from Leo 10.5.8 (compiled by Slice)
- EvOreboot – Restart and Shutdown fix
- EvOSpeedStep – Power Management for Core i7
- EvOenabler – ATI video injector
- SMBIOSResolver – only for PC EFI 9.4!!!
- Legacy AHCI – 32/64-bit Legacy kext for Intel AHCI (SATA)
- Legacy ATA – 32/64-bit Legacy kext for Intel ATA (IDE)
- Legacy JMicron ATA – 32/64-bit Legacy kext for JMicron ATA (IDE)
- PS / 2 – kekst interface PS / 2
- Rosetta – support for legacy applications
- ATools – a folder with a set of office utilities and drivers

System requirements: PC with a processor Intel SSSE3 (not to be confused with SSE3!)

Checksum:
MD5: 5d76a853b7d76d99e48f0fa1762933fd

Year: 2009
Version: 3.6
Platform: PC
Language: English + Russian
Size: 4.42 Gb

Is it good to try?

Hey I tried installing OSX on my T500 1 year ago, complete failure but I thought I would try again.

Thanks for the little tut here, but I have 1 question right now. Can I use any 10.6.3 copy (that you may find on 'websites') or is there a specific release i need? I found a 10.6.2 , its for PC, im not really up to date on all the iAtkos and iPC and all those groups so I dont know if I need a specific one or just any will do.

Thanks, also I have ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, will I be able to use 1680 x 1080 or close resolution?

Hey!

I don't know about your ISO. I used the exact same one mentioned in the linked guide.

regarding ATI graphics: go to you BIOS and switch Display to "integrated" or else you meight get kenrel errors during boot-up of OS X.

Once your OS X is running properly, remove ATIRadeonX2000.kext from your kexts and replace it with RadeonHD.kext which you can find in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t131671.html

After this you need to run once more:

sudo -s
/Extra/pfix -t /

now you can switch back to "discrete graphics" in the BIOS and should be able to use native resolution. This worked for me.

I've helped my mate to install OSX on his T500 and I wanted to share some info for the ones interested. We've got a pretty good working system, except for the video (GMA 4500). But it will work fine for iPhone development or something else. And if you have T500 with ATI, then it can be absolutely perfect.

We had T500 with 1280x800 resolution and Intel GMA 4500 video, 2GHz CPU, 2GB RAM. Everything else is pretty standard I think. We got the following result:

• Video works with native resolution, no QE/CI though.
  • Sound works great with internal microphone via VoodooHDA. Audio hotkeys function properly.
  • SpeedStep works, but no C-states (I was too lazy to make it work).
  • Ethernet works with custom kext.
  • Wireless doesn't work, since it is Intel. But it can be upgraded to Atheros, of course.
  • Sleep doesn't work, because video driver cannot shut the display off.
  • Firewire works out of the box.

To install, follow any available starter guide, for example this one. When you reach Phase 2, install AsereBLN booter instead of Chameleon and then copy attached /Extra folder archive to the root of your new OSX drive.

You then should be able to boot to OSX and finish installation. After this you need to download latest update (10.6.3 at the time of writing) and reboot. After you reboot, run the following command from Terminal:

sudo -s
/Extra/pfix -t /

Once pfix finished working (it might take a while), reboot and you're done!

Here the /Extra arhive: ThinkPad_T500_SnowLeo_Extra.zip

Inside you'll find prepared SMBIOS.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist, already patched DSDT with a lot of fixes and the following kexts inside Extensions folder: AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext, AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, FakeSMC.kext, Intel82566MM.kext, LegacyT500.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext. /System/Library/Extensions is kept 100% vanilla!

If you have higher screen resolution, edit com.apple.Boot.plist (you might need to look for patched kext as well). If you have ATI video, look for solutions on the Web, plenty should be around.

For more advanced tutorial check my DSDT guide.

I have followed these directions on my Thinkpad T510 with no success.

All I get the following scenarios:

1) Starts to boot, hits the gray apple screen for a split second and restarts

2) The gray apple boot screen comes up and it just sits there spinning around for hours.

I just don't know what is happening. I have tried using -v and -x to try and catch it to no avail.

I have also tried using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] from Tonymacx86 and I get the same result. This is using your DSDT or not using one at all.

I have spent about 4 days working on this and I am about ready to install Win7 and just install OSX in a VM.

I guess I am looking for anything that I have overlooked or am not doing?

CPU: i5

Ram: 8gb

Video: Intel

Wireless: thinkpad b/g/n

Update:

I now have OSX 10.6.3 running on my T500 dual booting (Win 7) off a USB drive. Debating whether to try and work on getting it to dual boot without the USB.

Issues:

1. Graphics card is not explicitly supported. However, it works pretty well in default mode.

2. Sleep doesn't work. I think this might be related to my graphics card.

3. Wireless doesn't work.

4. Built in camera sort of working. Works with Photo Booth, but not iChat.

Vanilla issues are: (Silencers any thoughts ?????)

1. I need to put some kexts (Intell82566MM.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, VoodooHDA.prefane) in S/L/E to get them to work, instead of having everything in E/E. This appears to be a dependency loading issue.

2. I couldn't get the plist override in LegacyT500.kext IOKitPersonalities to work with ATIRadeonX2000.kext. So I need to manually turn off that kext.

Here is my system and what I did:

Intel GM 45/47

Intel 82801M (ICH9-M)

Dev Id: 9591

Sound: Conexant 20561

Dev Id: 14F1 5051

Network: Intel 82567LM

Wireless: Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN

Installed on MBR partition

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...opard-for-osx86

1) Format a FAT32 partition to install OSX in Windows 7 (I made mine 50 gig)

2) Prepare USB on MAC Snow Leopard

a. Restore Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 to USB

b. Download Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin and unzip in /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/ (I think Booter_AsereBLN_v1.1.9 should also work)

e. Install Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin boot loader (make sure to use correct disk number, see guides for explanation)

i. cd /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386

iv. cd /Volume/OSX86

v. sudo cp /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386/boot .

g. Install Extra folder

i. cd /Volume/OSX86

iii. cd /Volume/OSX86/Extra

iv. edit com.apple.Boot.plist

a. add

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

b. change

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

e. Remove problematic ATIRadeonX2000.kext

i. cd /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

ii. sudo mv ATIRadeonX2000.kext ATIRadeonX2000.kext.off

f. Refresh kext cache

i. cd /Users/<name>/Download/OSX86/Extra

ii. sudo -s

iii. ./pfix –t /Volumes/OSX86

3) Boot laptop from USB and install OSX86

a. Open DiskUtility and reformat OSX Fat32 partition to Mac OS Extended (Journal)

b. Follow installation instructions

c. Reboot off USB

4) Now hopefully you have a fairly funtioning OSX 10.6 install.

a. If your ethernet is not working

i. move Intel85566MM.kext from USB E/E to install S/L/E.

ii. use pfix to rebuild kext caches on both USB and install volumes

iii. Reboot

5) Upgrade to 10.6.3

a. Download MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.3.pkg from Apple site (don't use Upgrade feature of OSX)

b. Reboot in safe mode (-x).

c. Install MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.3.pkg

d. Remove problematic ATIRadeonX2000.kext (see above)

e. use pfix to rebuild kext caches on install volume

f. Reboot

6) Fix various issues

a. Get track pad and joy stick working

i. Download latest VoodooPS2Controller_ThinkPad_i386_x64.zip

ii. Replace old VoodooPS2Controller.kext in USB E/E with this one.

b. Get sound working

i. Download latest VoodooHDA.kext and VoodooHDA.prefane for Conexant 20561

ii. Put in install S/L/E

c. Improve graphics

i. Download latest Framebuffer_Disabler.kext

ii. Put in USB E/E

d. Fix hot CPU

i. Download latest NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

ii. Put in USB E/E

e. use pfix to rebuild kext caches on both USB and install volumes

f. Reboot

Hey, I burnt an image of 10.6.2 onto a dvd. Im installing it on a 30 GB partition on my internal hard drive. How would I go about doing this? Your little tut there is using a usb for something which confuses me a bit.

My first attempt I just put my install disc in, went through the install process on the OSX install gui, formatted it to extended journaled; installed and it would get locked up on something on boot, not freezing but not getting past soemthing (the little circle thing kept spinning for ever and in verbose mode I could see it was stuck on something). That was with Chameleon 2 RC3 something that was the only one on my install CD.

Im confused on how to install the /extra folder and the bootloader and in what order to do these things. You have mentioned something about moving the /extra folder and boot loader and some other folder to users/name/download/osx86

Im not sure if you mean, on my windows partition, fat32 partition, or osx partition after ive went through the install process. Also the way your moving the files around is in some sort of cmd line, where would i go to get to that cmd line so I can install the boot loader etc?

Thanks very much if you guys can answer any of these questions.

Also, I dont have another mac to do any terminal work on, is that fine or is that a requirement?

Forget that, heres where I am.

I have restored the image from the install disc to my USB drive.

Now Im in the terminal from the install disc, but I saved the files to a FAT32 internal partition on my laptop.

In the guide it says I need to get into the directory with the files (boot loader, etc) via cd users/os86 etc etc, but like I said im not using another mac and im using the terminal on a boot disc.

How exactly do I use cd (change directory) and get into the fat32 drive to copy all those files posted in this thread to my usb stick?

Ive tried a bunch of stuff with no luck, I just dont know the exact cmd.. Tried cd dev/disk0s2 etc...

okay, well clearly this is too difficult to do without another mac which i dont have access to.

is there a guide out there for installs on the T500 without a mac?

I did it without another mac. Only additional stuff I needed was a working Leopard installation on a USB disk. iDeneb 1.3 works well for me on the T500 from USB.

then just closely follow the guide. After that I used the official 10.6.4 comboupdate - no mac required.