• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
mattkime

HP 311 & NetbookBootMaker / NetbookInstaller

81 posts in this topic

If you read his latest entries, he really hasn't made any changes to the 0.8.4 RC1 version yet. I will keep an eye on it and see. I had actually checked his site earlier this afternoon, but it didn't come up until I clicked on the link you posted in the Dev thread. Guess I should have refreshed it to check.

when i poked around in the structure of the app pkg, it looked like we might be able to make mini 311 mods ourselves, although i'm certain that he'd have plenty of insight. might be handy if we could hand him the latest kext, etc, that we're using.

but i'm in over my head. i'm just eager to test.

If I had more time I might be inclined to do so, but as it is now I'm kind of strapped for time. In addition to working full time, plus my computer obligations, I am getting ready for a trip to NYC in 3 weeks. Plus I just got back from a weekend visit of my family in Arkansas. Seems like during the colder months I have plenty of free time, but as soon as warmer weather gets here things start heating up, so to speak. ;)

Looks like he is back at the same location. Hopefully we can get the issues for the HP Mini 311 resolved now.

That's welcome news. I haven't had much success with the mini for some reason. I've temporarily committed it to linux and didn't even bring it with me to Louisville where I'll be until the 29th. OTOH, my 1201n is working great thanks to meklort and your guide. The only disappointment, and my reason for dual booting in this case with Win 7, is battery life. I'm not sure what OS X is doing to drain the battery so quickly compared to windows or linux for that matter.

I won't be able to work on the mini until next Saturday when I return, but I can't think of a better way of spending part of the day if we have something to try.

pb

I've gotten in touch with meklort and he's interested in supporting the mini 311 with our help. i've sent him the kext and other files we're currently using with other methods which he agreed would be an effective first step.

That's welcome news. I haven't had much success with the mini for some reason. I've temporarily committed it to linux and didn't even bring it with me to Louisville where I'll be until the 29th. OTOH, my 1201n is working great thanks to meklort and your guide. The only disappointment, and my reason for dual booting in this case with Win 7, is battery life. I'm not sure what OS X is doing to drain the battery so quickly compared to windows or linux for that matter.

I won't be able to work on the mini until next Saturday when I return, but I can't think of a better way of spending part of the day if we have something to try.

pb

You are kind of close to me, I'm up the road in Vevay, IN. We went through Louisville on our way to Arkansas last Friday morning. You there on business or pleasure?

I've gotten in touch with meklort and he's interested in supporting the mini 311 with our help. i've sent him the kext and other files we're currently using with other methods which he agreed would be an effective first step.

This is great news. Mine is working fine using one of my old installers and some of the later stuff developed on the support thread. I used it in Arkansas as well as my 1201N. Still pretty much a toss up as to which one I prefer.

You are kind of close to me, I'm up the road in Vevay, IN. We went through Louisville on our way to Arkansas last Friday morning. You there on business or pleasure?

I wondered if I were. I'm here on business until next Saturday morning, then back to Florida for at least for a week.

This is great news. Mine is working fine using one of my old installers and some of the later stuff developed on the support thread. I used it in Arkansas as well as my 1201N. Still pretty much a toss up as to which one I prefer.

Indeed it is! I've not had much luck with the 311 as I've mentioned, but I do prefer the form factor and convenience of not having to use a mouse as well as easy access to the HD and memory. The 1201N is fine, but I don't even try to use the trackpad. A friend however, has no problem with it at all. She apparently has a touch that I've never developed!

Excellent! I'm looking forward to testing it. Thanks!

NBI/NBBM Update -

I'm working on building my own copies of NBI/NBBM. Once this is successful then I can start creating custom builds for testing with Mini 311 support. Once a few people have verified 311 support, the changes can be merged into NBI/NBBM.

I'm going to be sorting through kexts and dsdt files which is likely to lead to a lot of questions. If anyone is interested in getting their hands dirty, please speak up. I'm merely consolidating the knowledge of others.

I'm ready to test as well as soon as I return on Saturday and have access to the 311. I'm glad to do just that since mosslack has my 1201N working so well :( , I can spare the 311 to do nothing but test; time permitting of course!

pb

Has anyone tried the 0.8.4 RC2 version yet? I heard it was available but I don't have any details on it. Just thought maybe someone knew.

This really isn't Mini 311 related, but I just updated my OCZ Neutrino to 10.6.4 with the help of Meklort's patched version of NBI. Followed the directions on his blog and for the most part it worked fine. Had a problem with VoodooHDA causing a KP after reboot, but that was solved by removing it from /S/L/E and then reinstalling after the update was complete. I do fear that VoodooHDA is not going to work for many more updates as each time it gets a little harder to get it installed after an update. JMHO

This really isn't Mini 311 related, but I just updated my OCZ Neutrino to 10.6.4 with the help of Meklort's patched version of NBI. Followed the directions on his blog and for the most part it worked fine. Had a problem with VoodooHDA causing a KP after reboot, but that was solved by removing it from /S/L/E and then reinstalling after the update was complete. I do fear that VoodooHDA is not going to work for many more updates as each time it gets a little harder to get it installed after an update. JMHO

Interesting! I've reinstalled OS X on the mini, but left it at 10.6.2 for now. I tried updating the 1201N and KP as well. Trying to boot to flash drive so that I can remove VoodooHDA is giving me a fit. It doesn't want to acknowledge the flash drive and boots right into OS X and subsequent kernel panic.

From everything I've read and seen, I believe you are correct on the VoodooHDA not being the answer we need with many more updates.

EDIT: Frustrated with the 1201N, I gave it to a needy friend! I'm going to stick with the more difficult 311!

Interesting! I've reinstalled OS X on the mini, but left it at 10.6.2 for now. I tried updating the 1201N and KP as well. Trying to boot to flash drive so that I can remove VoodooHDA is giving me a fit. It doesn't want to acknowledge the flash drive and boots right into OS X and subsequent kernel panic.

From everything I've read and seen, I believe you are correct on the VoodooHDA not being the answer we need with many more updates.

EDIT: Frustrated with the 1201N, I gave it to a needy friend! I'm going to stick with the more difficult 311!

Wow, what kind of problem was you having with the 1201N? That was probably the easiest of all my systems to update to 10.6.4. With my luck, when my new Mac mini arrives, I will probably have the most problems with it!

Wow, what kind of problem was you having with the 1201N? That was probably the easiest of all my systems to update to 10.6.4. With my luck, when my new Mac mini arrives, I will probably have the most problems with it!

It was largely the inconsistency of functionality that I found frustrating. It was extremely hard to get it to boot to a USB external device for example, and I'm not sure why at all. I've not had that problem with the HP mini although it comes complete with many others. I'm currently struggling with setting up an external display for example. I'm still at 10.6.2 on it too and am considering starting again with a Mowglibook retail setup.

I doubt that mini will give you a problem at all, but I admit, that would certainly be funny! lol

phubai

It was largely the inconsistency of functionality that I found frustrating. It was extremely hard to get it to boot to a USB external device for example, and I'm not sure why at all. I've not had that problem with the HP mini although it comes complete with many others. I'm currently struggling with setting up an external display for example. I'm still at 10.6.2 on it too and am considering starting again with a Mowglibook retail setup.

I doubt that mini will give you a problem at all, but I admit, that would certainly be funny! lol

phubai

Sorry to hear of your problems with the 1201N. It does not like to boot from USB, that is for sure. But once I setup my 8 Gb SD card with Meklort's booter, it works fine to get the system operational when things go wrong with my main install on the hard drive. It's only 10.6.0, but that is all you really need to get into the system to fix things.

The mini still has not shipped, the curse of choosing the free shipping option I suppose. I was hoping to have it for the long weekend ahead, but that is looking less likely.

short update - meklort has been difficult to contact lately which i'm guess is because...ready? he has a real life!

anyway, it does mean that mini 311 support is currently on hold.....unless someone who is terribly clever with dsdts comes along.

short update - meklort has been difficult to contact lately which i'm guess is because...ready? he has a real life!

anyway, it does mean that mini 311 support is currently on hold.....unless someone who is terribly clever with dsdts comes along.

Yeah, I did see he updated his blog the other day, so that's something. As for your retail pack install guide you asked about on the support thread, I think Ingrid doesn't like to talk too much about that type of install on that thread as she has a guide to use EFI on her blog.

If it helps any, here is the readme file from his retail pack 0.7 which I use on my Mini 311:

Instructions

1- Install the bootloader (RC4 patched by meklort) included for hibernation, kernel patching, and many other fixes.

(Use Lizard to install Chameleon easily, and manage your Extra folder)

2- Copy the Extra folder to the root of your drive

use KextUtility to make the mkext (very important)

3- Install the kexts in the "kexts" folder using KextUtility

Optional Installs

BIOS update described in the "Read Me BIOS Flash"

French key layout in

/Library/Keyboard Layouts/

Take my tip :

Use JuhOSX to hide the bootloader and Extra folder.

Use Lizard to Manage it.

Of course all of this is after you have SL installed on your hard drive, which by now most everyone knows how to do via a flash drive. HTH

yeah, i need the install broken down a bit more than that. are you talking about the mymacbookmini blog? if so, i see instructions for using HF4 but not the retail pack.

anyway, the directions for using the retail pack sound like shorthand to me. where does the 10.6 image go? how is it modified? is it even modified?? etc etc.

perhaps i use the bootloader to run the 10.6 installer, install it on my mini, then install the bootloader on the mini/10.6 install?

i guess we should move this conversation to the other thread

yeah, i need the install broken down a bit more than that. are you talking about the mymacbookmini blog? if so, i see instructions for using HF4 but not the retail pack.

anyway, the directions for using the retail pack sound like shorthand to me. where does the 10.6 image go? how is it modified? is it even modified?? etc etc.

perhaps i use the bootloader to run the 10.6 installer, install it on my mini, then install the bootloader on the mini/10.6 install?

i guess we should move this conversation to the other thread

Hang on, let me see if I can find one of my old guides for the Mini 311. I actually had the first flash drive install method for this system way back in the early days. But at the time, the thread was headed in the EFI direction so I removed my stuff. I don't like to step on people's toes too much. I will post a link shortly if I can find it.

heh, i don't mean to step on anyone's toes or ask for anything that would cause someone else to.

the retail pack is the most up to date method of running os x on the mini 311, correct?

have all the latest updates been merged into an install process?

heh, i don't mean to step on anyone's toes or ask for anything that would cause someone else to.

the retail pack is the most up to date method of running os x on the mini 311, correct?

have all the latest updates been merged into an install process?

Actually the one which is currently being used on the support thread is the EFI install by LeMaurien19. This is the most current up-to-date method out there. Perhaps the confusion is that she uses MowgliBook's retail pack 0.9 files in her install, but hers installs the files to the EFI partition. Her method is here:

http://mymacbookmini.blogspot.com/2010/02/...-in-way-id.html

This uses the optical drive though, so maybe I'm not sure what you really want.a

EDIT: In case you do want a USB install using a flash drive, I found one of my old ones and it is available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?r0ez94ym8wzs63p

This is a complete installer with guide and will get you up to 10.6.2. The update to 10.6.4 should just involve changing the SleepEnabler.kext for the latest one. HTH

I see Meklort's site is down again. I'm beginning to think we are chasing rainbows here on this thread. I don't even know what happened to the USB hard drive I had setup to run this, but I suppose it would not be difficult to setup another one.