Apple in talks with AMD

fagosu

26 posts in this topic

Could be good for us, could be bad for us.

Could be good if Apple has Mac lines with commodity AMD parts as suddenly we would have more choices for hackintoshing and we could get away from all these terrible Intel graphics GPUs.

Could be bad if AMD is indulging Job's control freak side and will agree to make specialty CPUs or chipsets just for Apple. One thin that has helped hackintoshing since the start is that Apple was forced to use commodity Intel chipsets as far as the southbuses went. We from the start had working sata support out the box, Intel GMA support, and most of the chipset support.

If AMD is willing to make Apple specialty parts to get their business (something big ole Intel would never stoop to do even for Apple), then we might quickly find ourselves locked out of an upgrade path....

If AMD is willing to make Apple specialty parts to get their business (something big ole Intel would never stoop to do even for Apple), then we might quickly find ourselves locked out of an upgrade path....

Intel doesn't, so why should AMD?

NO. Just NO.

After reading the article myself, this could be a very interesting situation that intel may have put themselves in by wanting "exclusivity" of the GPU's on the mainbords used by apple to manufacture their macintosh line of notebooks (essentially it talks about them doing this for notebooks only but I can guess it could also include newly manufactured macintosh desktops and servers as well. It might seem that Intel could have maybe bitten off more than apple wants them to chew in the say of what goes into their (Apple's) computers. Seemingly it looks as though on the face of it that Apple is starting to be annoyed with being dictated to by Intel. Atleast thats what I get out of the arguement. My only hope from a consumer point of view is that if all this IS infact true, that we dont see that same situation develop as we did when power pc processors were in development and with apple not really interested in keeping up technologically for the sake of wanting to control everything that goes into their computers.

Also with AMD they also automatically get ATi GPU's - since AMD owns ATi - maybe will start seeing RADEoN GPUs in new mac's if this does indeed happen.

That would be awesome because apple computers would have faster processors. Which is also good for us because the price would go down to the price of AMD CPU. Oh better Graphic perfrance probably since AMD would be more to Apple using they're graphics chips.

Interesting, to say the least. This definitely puts Intel between a rock and a hard place, seeing as if this does happen, they'll have a few major decisions to make.

That being said, I've never had any issues with my AMD chip... would LOVE to see them in a Mac.

That would be awesome because apple computers would have faster processors. Which is also good for us because the price would go down to the price of AMD CPU. Oh better Graphic perfrance probably since AMD would be more to Apple using they're graphics chips.

apple getting lower cost components does not lead to lower prices for consumers. Otherwise apple would less than their 40 BILLION cash in the bank.

one can hope though ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it could be interesting. If they collaborated/bought/merged with AMD, it may allow them to integrate OS and CPU to a far greater degree, like Intel and MS have been doing for years. If that leads to improved efficiency and performance, what's not to like?

• 4 weeks later...
I think it could be interesting. If they collaborated/bought/merged with AMD, it may allow them to integrate OS and CPU to a far greater degree, like Intel and MS have been doing for years. If that leads to improved efficiency and performance, what's not to like?

If the integrated CPU+GPU chip has a special version for Macs, then Hackintoshing will die. Seems like a lot to not like....