If It Runs in 32-bit by Default How's it Using and Detecting 8GB RAM?

alvin777

10 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. If it can use and detect more than 4GB with the kernel mode in 32-bit default using PAE. there's no more advantage then in using this iMac with the kernel in 64-bit mode since that's the advantage of 64-bit systems? Unless having a full 64-bit system does more than just use more than 4GB, should I go back to 32-bit mode kernel? I heard if you're on 64-bit mode, some programs will actually slow down and some will not even run?

I know this has been discussed a million times already but it always ends up in 64/32 bit kernel discussions.

Maybe my english is poor or I'm just stupid but it really dont solves my problem.

I have 6 Gb Ram mounted, but Mac OS only displays 4Gb.

I know the Mac Pro can use 16 Gb RAM so I understand that Mac os can adress it all.

What should i do to use all 6 Gb in my machine and do I have to do anything?

I know this has been discussed a million times already but it always ends up in 64/32 bit kernel discussions.

Maybe my english is poor or I'm just stupid but it really dont solves my problem.

I have 6 Gb Ram mounted, but Mac OS only displays 4Gb.

I know the Mac Pro can use 16 Gb RAM so I understand that Mac os can adress it all.

What should i do to use all 6 Gb in my machine and do I have to do anything?

Dear Sören,

Firstly, Please post your system config in your signature so that we can help you out.

Secondly, what boot loader are you using?

Chameleon or PC-EFI?

Which version of them?

And, how is your com.apple.Boot.plist configured?

Kindly post a copy of it in the thread along with your system configuration.

Then we can advise you on the solution.

Hope that you understand that we need to understand the problem before posting a solution, right? :(

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :unsure:

I have found the problem but not the solution.

In the com.apple.Boot.plist located in in the prebot drive on the boot USB the maxmem parameter is set to 4096. If i Change it to moore, the system resets during boot. :worried_anim: