10 posts in this topic

I've been searching but I cant find anyone with the same problem

I have an Averatec 1020 laptop with the following specs:

Intel Celeron M ULV 373 (1.0 GHz)

60 GB Hard Drive

512MB DDR

Intel i855 Graphics

AC97 Audio

The hard drive was completely cleared off before all attempts, no OS or any partitions. I am aiming for a single-boot, no Windows involved.

I havethe following: a Jas 10.4.6 disk, a "Mac.OSX.10.4.5.Universal" (not sure WHO's this is) disk, another "Universal" 10.4.4 disk, an unlabelled 10.4.3 disk (my roommate has successfully used this), and a 10.4.1 disk. They are burned on a variety of brands of DVD-R and DVD+R.

Out of that collection, I can get 10.4.1 to install perfectly. All of the others boot off the disk, get to the grey Apple logo screen, and stop. Disk activity stops, I DON'T get any (/) slashed circle error image, or any errors at all. The spinner never appears on any of the installs after any reasonable amount of time (I even tried overnight with the 10.4.6 disk). The DVD can be ejected, and shows no signs of being active.

I've tried using the -v flag, and there were no apparent error messages.

Nearly all my hardware has been confirmed working, I have the drivers I need for non-crucial devices, and if only I could get it to install I'm sure i could get the system running nicely.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I keep downloading different patched DVDs and trying again? Does the disk need to be partitioned or formatted in any particular way? Is it normal/understandable for the system to stop at this point? Should I wait hours with each disk, in case one of them eventually loads? Is there any other solution for installing that I can try?

EDIT:

In comparing the verbose outputs of the 10.4.1 and the others, it seems as though they are never loading the kernel. The installs hang at the point where the 10.4.1 verbose output (for lack of a better description) "changes fonts". My linux experience tells me that is a kernel problem. Maybe that will help diagnose.

Thanks in advance. I'm really hoping to get this working.

Are you sure your CPU is compatible? Get CPU-z and find out. You must have SSE2 and to really get the most out of OSX86 you should have SSE3.

Chevy

I definitely have SSE2 (but no SSE3). The patched installers I have include the SSE2 patch.

I have the same problem and I know I have a cpu that works, I have SSE3 aswell, my harddrive is set to master and my dvd drive set to slave.

k, I ran the installer using -v to see the errors, there are none, it freezes on the line

BSD diskl1s major 14, minor 6

or something like it,

anyone know anything that could help, or should I try re-writing it to a new dvd on a slower speed, maybe the data didn't get burnt effectivly enough?

• 2 months later...

No good...When I boot with "-v" It loads a couple kext's and then goes to a black screen. A few seconds later, the DVD stops spinning. I've got a MacBookPro, so it's no biggy if I can't get OSX working on my Averatec 1020, it would've been fun to have a 10" mini Powerbook though :-D

I'm currently using the Goatsecx 10.4.6 ISO, but I'll try again later with the JaS 10.4.7

Hi guys; I'm new at this and I just installed OX86 on my laptop. I'm not sure if it is SSE2 or 3 (It's a Centrino 1.6 GHZ).

I can install the OS without issues, the only thing is when it is booting up after the insallation. After 20 or 30 secs the (\) sing appears in the center of the screen, right in front of the apple.

Any idea what's going on?

Hi guys; I'm new at this and I just installed OX86 on my laptop. I'm not sure if it is SSE2 or 3 (It's a Centrino 1.6 GHZ).

I can install the OS without issues, the only thing is when it is booting up after the insallation. After 20 or 30 secs the (\) sing appears in the center of the screen, right in front of the apple.

you selected the wrong customize options...

when installing, right before you click on the install button there should be a customize button, click that then select Intel sse2 and combo updates...