Radeon 4850 and 10.6.3 update problems

rectifier23

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

After quite some issues with an old Radeon 2900 card that didn't have any support in Snow Leopard I changed to a

Radeon 4850. I had everything working 'till 10.6.3 (full hardware acceleration full resolution etc.)

For this I used netkas 10.6 PC_EFI + GraphicsEnabler with ChameleonRC4 and the only kext I needed to make everything work was the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext in my extra/extentions folder. I didn't need to do anything. I already had hardware acceleration and full resolution from the install screen on. 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 updates all worked flawlessly.

I did the 10.6.3 update on a separate partition to not destroy my main system:

1.) updated to 10.6.3

2.) restarted pc, booted without any kernel flags = black screen

3.) restarted pc, booted with -x safe mode

4.) entered hardware id's into 4800Controller kext and x2000kext. (0x94421002)

5.) restarted pc, normal boot = default resolution, no hardware acceleration :unsure:

6.) after reading the forum tried to import 4800Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext from

my 10.6.2 installation and overwrite those in S/L/E

7.) restarted pc, normal boot --> same problem (default resolution, no hardware acceleration)

8.) now tried it with netkas QE CI Exotic cards 10.6.3 Installer --> no success

9.) tried to remove LegacyATI4800Controller.kext from extra/extensions (thought there might be some

complications with this kext) ---> didn't help either

I don't quite get it why it doesn't work...

mine gave me alot of trouble too, the main thing that screwed me up was i injected the GraphicsEnabler twice, once in com.apple.Boot.plist and at boot prompt currently mine works just using 10.6.2 kexts and legacy4800controller along with graphicsenabler. i didn't use netkas' exotic package either

I apologize but my english isn't good, can you tell me step by step what I can do for update correctly 10.6.3?

I have already installed the 10.6.2 update and all works ok.

My only used kext are:

- AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

- ApplePS2Controller.kext

- IOATAFamily.kext

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

- EvOreboot.kext

- FakeSMC.kext

My 10.6.2 work without an addictional dongle DVI-VGA because I have modified the ATI4800Controller.kext with my 4850 ID-Dev.

For now I have downloaded only the 10.6.3 update and I'm waiting for any advice.

Thanks and sorry for my english again.

My Sapphire 4850 is working in 10.6.3 but happened in a weird way.

I downloaded the 10.6.3 update from Apple and towards the end of the installation my SL kinda froze. Mouse still had movement and keyboard was still functioning (cap lock light toggle) but was unable to click on anything. I then pushed the rest button since nothing was responding. When it restarted after the verbose mode text my monitor went into stand-by and the computer restarted itself. I thought that my SL would be messed up but surprisingly it booted back into SL with fully working graphics acceleration.

I didn't make any changes to the kext or install any pkg's. The 'about this mac' states that I'm on 10.6.3 and that my OSX is fully up to date.

Sorry, quite new here but I have a fully working 10.6.2 with my HD4850. All I did was add the id to the existing ATI4800Controller.kext and installed it using kext helper, then modded the com.apple.Boot.plist to add graphicsEnabler. I haven't installed ATIFramebuffer or ATISupport kexts but everything is working - even QE/CI (ripples in dashboard).

Does anyone know if I upgrade to 10.6.3 and make the same changes, will everything work again? Just so happy to be here I don't want to start again if things go wrong!

@ papasmurph

are you using a distro or are you retail on 10.6.2? and since you got it working in 6.2, just backup the 4800.kext somehere so God forbid when you upgrade you are greeted with a black screen, just load back up the 10.6.2 kext

and you should be good to go again just like (I'm going to assume you know how to boot into single user mode)

oh and btw use "cat" term command on the com.apple.boot.plist file to see if graphcsenabler was taken out by chance if so you can just use "nano" to edit the .plist and put it back in

good luck...

@TH3L4UGH1NGM4N

Thanks for the advice, I'm on retail.

I've backed up S/L/E and E/E and now I'm about to jump in. I know single user mode however on the original install the only issue I had was with gfx so -x got me in to do what i needed. Backed up, fingers crossed, nose held...

dudes, the only thing you need for 4850 is:

1. install evoenabler.kext via kexthelper

2. add 0x94421002 to ATI4800Controller.kext in S/L/E

3. reboot -x -v into safe mode (idk why, but safe mode is somehow needed to recognize after updating OSX)

4. reboot normally again, done

this has worked flawlessly for me since 10.6.0 up to 10.6.3

no other stuff needed. google for the evoenabler kext.

hope this helps

@ punc

that method works mainly for a dual dvi 4850 my hdmi vga dvi 4850 fails to allocate the class and the 4800.kext fails to load

in leopard it's no problem to get it working but SL with this card isn't such a smooth operator

I have ripples on my Dashboard and no problems with complex graphics (games) which I think shows that QE/CI are working.

I have a Gigabyte dual DVI (GV-R485ZL-512H) which is a little different as it originally came with a huge copper Zalman fan.

Hey guys, I'm having problems with 10.6.3 and my HD4850. I have the dual DVI (gigabyte) version as well.

Can anyone tell me how I should get my video working. My problem is that, I install the 10.6.3 exotic package from netkas and I just get black screen at bootup (with -x and without -x).

How do I enable video with HD 4850