Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on HP 550

smilenkovski

17 posts in this topic

Vanila Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on HP 550 (Also works on HP 6720s)

or Almost Perfect Macbook in 10 steps

EDIT: 10.6.3 works fine also.

I was a happy user of HP 6720s for more than a year and posted a guide about installing SL on it. These days I received HP 500 (new one) and of course I've installed SL 10.6.2 immediately on it.

You can use this guide for both computers; HP 550 and 6720s (it's almost the same computer).

There are two concept of installing SL on laptop. The first is (which I'm using) to remove the HDD from laptop and to use another SL desktop computer for installing SL. The second one is to use some boot CD and retail SL DVD. You can find several guides on insanelymac forum for the second one. The best and safest way is Prasys Empire Efi. Here we will use first one.

I have already very well working hackintosh (see signature) using Cartri's BIOS and blackosx's guide but you can use any kind of desktop comp with working SL on it for this guide. Download my files

Step 1

Format HDD

Remove HDD from your laptop and connect to your desktop computer.

Boot your desktop computer.

Format laptop HDD with name Snow (we will use this name for reference you can use any name you like). In options choose GUID Partition table.

Run terminal and just copy these two lines followed by ENTER after every line

sudo -s

chown 0:0 /Volumes/Snow

First is enabling root account

second is setting permission of the partition Snow

Step 2

Install Snow Leopard

Insert Snow Leopard DVD in your desktop comp

Open terminal and copy/ paste next two lines, followed by enter :

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

open OSInstall.mpkg

This will start Snow Leopard install package. For destination choose laptop HDD and uncheck printer drivers package. (I've unchecked everything except X11)

Installation takes less than 20 minutes

Step 3

Install chameleon 2 RC4 on the Snow disk (be careful about installation destination)

You can use DR. Hurt instaler from here or blackosx guide for manual instaling from here.

Step 4

Copy the content of Extra folder from my files into Extra folder of you laptop.

I'will make a reference of every file in Extra folder soon.

Step 5

Copy Netkas boot file.

I'm using netkas 10.6 boot file because of many improvements over the rest of the boot files according my needs. You can use another one or leave the RC4 boot file. Google it and decide for yourself. Netkas boot file works fine with stat menus (CPU temp and so)

In terminal type cd (empty space) drag the folder netkas from my files. Press enter.

Type cp -f boot /Volumes/Snow (or the name of your HDD). Press enter.

Shut down your desktop computer.

Now, you can put back your HDD into laptop com.

Boot with arch=i386.

After setting you comp. within the OS X procedure you'll see you desktop. Resolution will be set to 1024x768.

Step 6

SL Update

Install voodops2.kext using kexthelper (files included in my pack)

Update to 10.6.1 Download update from here and run.

Reboot

Update to 10.6.2. Download update from here and run.

Reboot.

Step 7

Enable Airport

Goto System/Lubrary/Extensions/ IO80211Family.kext. Copy it to desktop. Right click, Show package content. Goto Content/Plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, right click show package content, Goto Content/Info.plist, right click open with TextEdit. Find number 4318 and change it to 4315.

Reboot.

Now you have internet.

Step 8

Editing video kexts

As you noticed till now your screen works in 1024x768. Now is time to fix that. Goto System/Etxensions/ and copy AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext to the desktop.Open terminal and paste those lines :

sudo -s

perl -pi -e "s|\x86\x80\x02\x2A|\x86\x80\x12\x2A|g" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB

perl -pi -e "s|\x86\x80\x02\x2A|\x86\x80\x12\x2A|g" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelGMAX3100

perl -pi -e "s|028086|128086|g" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext/Info.plist

perl -pi -e "s|028086|128086|g" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext/Contents/Info.plist

touch /System/Library/Extensions

The blue statement should all be on one line with a space when the line break occur

Start disk utility and repair permissions on laptops HDD.

Reboot.

Now your screen should work in full resolution.

Step 9

AUDIO.

Use kexthelper and install voodoohda.kext. You can use provided files by me or you can use files from these forums and watch for update there :

For VoodooHDa.kext go here,.

For VoodooPrefPane here.

reboot.

Now you have audio

Double-click VoodooPS2.prefPane and VoodooHDA.prefPane from prefs folder of my files. That will install prefpanes in System preferences to control audio and trackpad.

Inntal stat menus for info on your comp (temps and so)

And finaly

Step 10

Intel speed step

Install, using kexthelper AppleACPIThermal.kext found in my files for controlling the fans and temps. Works only in 32 bit.

Now you have almost perfect Macbook for less money.

Thanks to my friend juanerson for providing last version of dsdt.aml and implementation of intel speed step posted here (post 170) and, of course, for his posting on this forum with strong enthusiasm. Thanks to blackch for developing the first version of dsdt file and further helping on improvements of HP 6720s and HP 550. Thank to blackosx for bringing order in hackintosh world and bringing us higher level of communication in this community. And biggest thank to insanelymac crew for giving us opportunity to be addicted to hackintoshing.

• 4 weeks later...

after Step 8(video) and reboot, display freezes on blank blue screen, is there any solution for this, or is it just reinstall? This was my first time mac experience so I dont know almost nothing about osx. And yes my english is quite poor.

after Step 8(video) and reboot, display freezes on blank blue screen, is there any solution for this, or is it just reinstall? This was my first time mac experience so I dont know almost nothing about osx. And yes my english is quite poor.

try to boot with -x.

So , on the first screen of bootloader press for example space , then -x and enter.

That should boot you in os x.

What was the resolution of your screen before doing the step 8?

Cause, maybe you don't need to change anything in your video kext if device id of your video card is OK (028086)

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the same thing happening to me several times.

And after few restarts everything was OK. But, there is one mistake in my guide, (I should update one day). Do you need the patch the video kexts at all. If your video was OK, meaning you can reach the full resolution with the vanilla kexts then you don't need to apply patch.

And after few restarts everything was OK.

Few restarts with cache regenerating? And/Or with save mode (-x)? Or normal booting (maybe only verbose).

If your video was OK, meaning you can reach the full resolution with the vanilla kexts then you don't need to apply patch.

What do they think?

EDIT: After 3 normal reboot is my video OK... Now i need working LAN driver...

EDIT 2: after next reboot display problem back... But 10 reboot NOT fix this bloblem... :-(

This is my updated pack (For installing retail 10.6.3):

• Chameleon 2 RC5pre8
  • FakeSMC 2.5
  • Netkas (10.6)
  • Legaci Kernel for 10.6.3 (10.3.0)
  • latest VoodooHDA
  • VoodooPS2 with trackpad (on my HP 550 work 2 finger scrool)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi people,

I have same problem as intrO,

I managed to make everything work except X3100 graphic... After I update Device IDs to 2a12 I meet Blue Screen... I tried really all possible combinations, dangling with different versions graphic ktext`s, updating ID trough terminal or updating with script that is here around... even tried with old 10.5.8 graph drivers... nothing.... only on extern monitor, but that does not help me.... I need to make him to work on internal display...

:( :( :)

p.s. I have this model of HP550 http://www.price.ro/specificatii_hp_550_no...1ea)_158692.htm

EDIT: Problem Resolved :P, Woow what a feeling, after more than seven days of nightmare with x3100 2a12 and blue screen I just installed 10.6.4 update & after applying patch from BlackCH http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135410 it just worked

• 4 weeks later...

The same problem happened to me when I tried to install Leo. When you get stuck on the blue screen, try connecting an external monitor to your laptop. I think the reason is, that HP defined the external display port as the primary display port. From there, you'll be able to tweak your display settings, to make the laptop's built in monitor the primary one.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi! I've been trying to install Iatkos (10.6.3) on HP550, but i can't get to work the wireless (Intel 4965) and the full resolution (X3100).

I've tried following your guide's steps 7 and 8, but nothing works.

Also after i've done what it's explained in step 8, at the reboot there is a kernel panic (ApplePowermanager or something, I don't remember )

There is something I can do to fix these things ?? 

Thank you!