6 posts in this topic

How do they manage to calculate that so accurately? How would they know what browsers they have used to access websites?

I do know that there are Stat Tracker things which record what browsers are used to read your website, but how would they know that information for every website?

Anyway, that's very good news. Apple is slowly getting up there...

All requests sent over HTTP include a 'User Agent' section that contains information on what browser is being used. I'm not sure of specifics as to how the companies that release these studies gather their information since their websites would not really be indicative of general web traffic. A few possibilities include monitoring remote ad requests, code that site owners put in their own site to send this information to the statistics company, and also the statistics company buying/asking for these statistics from various major websites.

Personally I would like to see Google release their statistics on browser usage. The traffic they get is from the widest demographics and I think it would be extremely accurate on browser usage. I mean, come on, 'google' is now a verb! The chances of Google releasing this information are slim to none considering their policy on releasing data they've collected. "It could give our competitors an advantage!"