Printer installation Help

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have os x 10.4.6 installed on my system.. and i have a cannon Pixma MP450 printer and its plugged into my comp with a usb cable, but on osx when i goto the add printer thing it doesnt show up.

Any ideas how to get it working?

pull straight from our own wiki:

Use any USB printer driver

This fix is very simple. OSx86 has universal binaries for all its pre-installed printer drivers. However, if your model doesn't have a pre-installed driver, you might be in a bit of a sticky situation. The problem is, even if you download your printers driver, it won't be listed in the driver list! That's because chances are the newly added driver is in PowerPC architecture. To fix this, right click "Printer Setup Utility" in Utilities, select "Get Info" and click "Open using Rosetta." Now, when you restart the setup utility, it will load PowerPC drivers in the driver list, and your newly added printer driver should now be visibly listed! Enjoy! - By Takuro

For HP printers, follow above and just pick any HP printer even if yours is not listed. All of them use the same driver. HP has a unified deskjet driver for Linux, BSD and OS/2 so it is reasonable to try this with any HP deskjet. Specifically tried and worked with HP PSC 1610.

EDIT: Since the time of this entry, Apple has released an extensive driver pack for many printer models, including HP. Chances are that your printer is already supported, but if not, you can still try this trick.

My printer seems to not be working again, it is recognized, and when i go to print something the printer shows up, then when i press print, about a minute after then i get an error:300, and says the printer does not respond, even though the printer is plugged in and turned on. Dont know what to do??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
pull straight from our own wiki:

Use any USB printer driver

This fix is very simple. OSx86 has universal binaries for all its pre-installed printer drivers. However, if your model doesn't have a pre-installed driver, you might be in a bit of a sticky situation. The problem is, even if you download your printers driver, it won't be listed in the driver list! That's because chances are the newly added driver is in PowerPC architecture. To fix this, right click "Printer Setup Utility" in Utilities, select "Get Info" and click "Open using Rosetta." Now, when you restart the setup utility, it will load PowerPC drivers in the driver list, and your newly added printer driver should now be visibly listed! Enjoy! - By Takuro

For HP printers, follow above and just pick any HP printer even if yours is not listed. All of them use the same driver. HP has a unified deskjet driver for Linux, BSD and OS/2 so it is reasonable to try this with any HP deskjet. Specifically tried and worked with HP PSC 1610.

EDIT: Since the time of this entry, Apple has released an extensive driver pack for many printer models, including HP. Chances are that your printer is already supported, but if not, you can still try this trick.

Hi, I can't find "Open using Rosetta" in "Get Info" for all utility tools.

• 1 year later...