Best i5 Hackintosh Build

6 posts in this topic

Hey all -

I'm a pretty experienced Hackintosher - done three (2 desktops and a laptop) with all different hardware. I'm using a Hackintosh as my main machine at the moment, and it's time for a speed boost. Sick of dual core, sick of 4 GB of RAM.

I want to upgrade to an i5 with 8GB RAM and 2 graphics cards so I can power my 4 monitors without needing to use USB-to-DVI adapters like I am now.

I know there are tutorials and posts all over this forum with configuration lists and blah blah blah. I just want to hear, in a consolidated place, what all of you think the best setup for me would be. My goal is to put the new stuff in my machine, boot up the snow leopard installer (so I can access the file system) and put in the proper Kexts, and then reboot and have everything be golden (hopefully) without a reinstall. I don't see why this shouldn't be possible - but I just want to know from the *experts* out there what a great, 100% working hardware config would be.

Essentially, a motherboard recommendation is what I seek (because the processor, ram and graphics cards are probably guaranteed to work without much trouble). Not picky on features (besides supporting the i5, the 8GB of ram and the two PCIe x16 cards), although if I could get working optical out (haven't done much research in this area) that would be AWESOME.

Anyone got any tips? You guys are wonderful, and without all the smart folk at Insanely Mac I'd probably still be using a PC haha.

Thanks,

-Adam

I've installed on my own computers plus those of some of my friends and they are all nearly the same. For those that work with 2-3 kexts as a stoopid-fast i11,1 "iMac", get one of the following:

the 2 in my sig

or:

MSI P55 GD45 or GD65

Asrock P55 pro is ok as is EVGA P55 LE and above.

If you use 8800, 9400, or 9800 Nvidia you should be able to get 4 screens running if you know how to do the EFI or DSDT hacks. Hope this helps!

Pretty much all Gigabyte GA-P55-UDX motherboards work without trouble. There are even premade dsdt.aml files on Tony macx86 blog for all of those (Using the P55-UD3 myself, got everything working, including sleep).

Pretty much all Gigabyte GA-P55-UDX motherboards work without trouble. There are even premade dsdt.aml files on Tony macx86 blog for all of those (Using the P55-UD3 myself, got everything working, including sleep).

SPDIF?

• 6 months later...