• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
jbritz22

Top 10 Applications for Hackintosh Netbooks

16 posts in this topic

I know there are hundreds (OK, "hundreds" is an understatement) of "Top Mac Apps" lists, and quite a few "Top Netbook Apps", but there is not a single one dedicated to apps for hackintosh netbooks. Now on this list I excluded:

• Quicksilver simply because I don't use it, although it's popularity has piqued my curiosity.
  • Growl, handy program, but we want to limit on background processes.
  • Any dock modifying program. Now, I know lot's of netbook users like to hack the dock, but I just set mine to automatically hide, that way you get full dock functionality without sacrificing screen space.

And to put this guide into context, I'm running an eee pc 1000he with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with 1GB of memory.

A Dell Mini 10v runs the following very well and consistently:

Vuse

VLC Player

Dreamweaver

In my opinion, you should keep the netbooks as light as possible application wise. You can use it as your main portable computer as long as your main purpose for using it is internet, light word processing (google docs?), and movie watching. I travel between San Diego and San Francisco a lot and it is amazing for what it is.

A Dell Mini 10v runs the following very well and consistently:

Vuse

VLC Player

Dreamweaver

In my opinion, you should keep the netbooks as light as possible application wise. You can use it as your main portable computer as long as your main purpose for using it is internet, light word processing (google docs?), and movie watching. I travel between San Diego and San Francisco a lot and it is amazing for what it is.

100% vote for xcode from me :D

I have ordered a Dell Latitude 2100 and can't wait to get it set up with OS X.

I have been wondering this very topic, however. I will need to partition my HDD for 3 OS ( OS X, Win 7, Ubuntu) and wonder how much I will be using the OS X vs. the others. I love the os itself, but haven't had too much experience with it to know if its comprehensive enough for what I will be doing.

I suppose most of what people commonly use on the netbook are productivity and social apps, and probably mainly those that are built in.

I doubt that Photoshop will be useful on a netbook, or is it? Keep those lists coming of the apps you actually use (not just those that you installed so that you can feel the pride of having it portable LOL.)

Thanks,

Xa

I've heard that Native Instruments' Traktor (pro DJ app) runs like butter on netbooks under osx, but have yet to try with my toshiba! I hope to soon, just can't find enough conclusive info on Toshibas n450 netbooks to make it seem like a good idea

Adobe CS3 Design (Trial) for occasional graphics stuff

Open Office Suite so I don't need MS Office

Suitcase Fusion, the best font management software I have come across

Wacom's support software for the Intuos3 tablet

MacFuse/NTFS-3G for read write of my Win7 partition

SwitchResX to allow 1024x768 res on a 1024x600 display

For anyone about to ask, yes, CS3 apps install and run just fine - so far. When the trial runs out I'll be thinking seriously about trying the CS4 Design suite. CS5 is out of the question as it needs a dual core processor to even install and deserves a 64 bit CPU to do it justice.

As an aside (off topic really), the Eee1005HA is quite capable of driving a 1920x1200 external monitor.

I know there are hundreds (OK, "hundreds" is an understatement) of "Top Mac Apps" lists, and quite a few "Top Netbook Apps", but there is not a single one dedicated to apps for hackintosh netbooks. Now on this list I excluded:

• Quicksilver simply because I don't use it, although it's popularity has piqued my curiosity.
  • Any dock modifying program. Now, I know lot's of netbook users like to hack the dock, but I just set mine to automatically hide, that way you get full dock functionality without sacrificing screen space.

And to put this guide into context, I'm running an eee pc 1000he with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with 1GB of memory.

I was looking at the resulutions one on this link to your blogspot.com page but the download/link to the software is broken :D can you please link me to the one I have an acer aspire one netbook aoa150. thanks

Josh

List of Apps in order of launch :

1. Finder + Dashboard + Spaces

2. Stickies

3. Mail

4. Safari

5. Quicktime

6. iTunes

7. iPhoto

8. iMovie

9. Keynote

10. Numbers

I realize this is an older thread but for the sake of keeping these os x related netbook apps in one place, I'm posting here.

I just want to mention Overflow: I've been using it for quite a while on my MBP, but it turns out to be even more handy on my netbook. It's basically dock-based launch menu you can customize as you please. Nothing really fancy but very handy providing a quick launch menu in osx . It's unfortunately not freeware; I got it in one of the Macheist bundles a while back.

i read b4 that you named an app that scales the screen for netbooks on mac

i am on 1024 x 600 this is somewhat small and incompatible with some apps

please can you link me up with that app for scaling resolution

thanks

i read b4 that you named an app that scales the screen for netbooks on mac

i am on 1024 x 600 this is somewhat small and incompatible with some apps

please can you link me up with that app for scaling resolution

thanks

Try this. :unsure: