• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Sign in to follow this  
hitman38

Good external sound card for mac?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all

Does anyone know of a good external sound card for mac? I cant find one that has the right inputs and outputs, what i would like is direct 6ch outputs, optical, headphones and mic ports. Something similar to the Sound Blaster Extigy but newer.

any info would b great?

thanks in advance :)

What is your application, a home studio setup? The M-Audio cards are alright for the money, or some of the Edirol (now branded Cakewalk by Roland) are okay too - there's a Firewire variant with about 10 outputs that might be worth looking at, but you don't mention a budget.

Personally I have a Edirol UA-25x, which has two XLR ins, and two balanced jack outputs - this is mainly used for playback and recording of individual mics (as in an interview) or stereo sources. For larger scale recording I also have a M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, which is 32 in/out almost entirely on ADAT - 4x 8-channel ADAT in and out, plus analogue out (routeable headphone output) and S/PDIF. I use the Lightbridge either directly connected to the ADAT outs on a Yamaha digital mixer or with Behringer ADA8000s to give 32 analogue ins/outs depending on what I need. (Yeah, I know, Behringer, but the outputs are okay. For serious recordings you're better using a Yammy desk and go in via ADAT.) Both of these are working with an Intel OSX86 machine.

Look this : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1441815

What is your application, a home studio setup? The M-Audio cards are alright for the money, or some of the Edirol (now branded Cakewalk by Roland) are okay too - there's a Firewire variant with about 10 outputs that might be worth looking at, but you don't mention a budget.

Personally I have a Edirol UA-25x, which has two XLR ins, and two balanced jack outputs - this is mainly used for playback and recording of individual mics (as in an interview) or stereo sources. For larger scale recording I also have a M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, which is 32 in/out almost entirely on ADAT - 4x 8-channel ADAT in and out, plus analogue out (routeable headphone output) and S/PDIF. I use the Lightbridge either directly connected to the ADAT outs on a Yamaha digital mixer or with Behringer ADA8000s to give 32 analogue ins/outs depending on what I need. (Yeah, I know, Behringer, but the outputs are okay. For serious recordings you're better using a Yammy desk and go in via ADAT.) Both of these are working with an Intel OSX86 machine.

M-Audio fast track ultra, 6 balanced line in, 6 out (not counting SPDIF), USB, 2 headphones, phantom power and works great in hackintosh

$350 ish

M-Audio Profire, 8 balanced in, 8 unbalance in, 16 out , Firewire (needs FW port on Texas Instrument chipset like gigabyte motherboard), 2 headphones, phantom power, works great in hackintosh!

$530 ish